Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: LNC noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default LNC noise

what causes all the noise these things make? mine sounds like a damn belt driven supercharger when at full tilt........is is the trannies or the axles? i originally thought it was the stock losi motors making all the clatter, but I changed it and its louder with a handwound
mudn_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I went through the same problem. I took all the drive train apart and checked everthing. It was the trans gears making all the noise on mine. You will tune it out after awhile or at least I did.
DeadlySwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySwan View Post
I went through the same problem. I took all the drive train apart and checked everthing. It was the trans gears making all the noise on mine. You will tune it out after awhile or at least I did.

LOL.... I was thinking it was the trans, the stupid driveshaft yokes were loctited on when it was put together and I stripped one..... so I cant get it apart..... I guess I need to pull the trans and drill it out so I can get it apart to grease it..... but I figured just leave it alone for a while
Old 03-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
Defy Gravity

yeah, mine's loud and i just don't care, not a good idea imo to grease those exposed gears....get dust and other crap stuck in it more than necessary. with the plastic gears, just leave them alone. there are the bearings in the spur itself that need oiling from time to time though. the ones on the trans shaft are rubber sheided and i haven't found a need to really piss with them too much
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
yeah, mine's loud and i just don't care, not a good idea imo to grease those exposed gears....get dust and other crap stuck in it more than necessary. with the plastic gears, just leave them alone. there are the bearings in the spur itself that need oiling from time to time though. the ones on the trans shaft are rubber sheided and i haven't found a need to really piss with them too much

you saying inside the trans case doesn't need to be greased?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

What you're hearing is performance!

Plastic on plastic doesn't need to be greased.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
What you're hearing is performance!

Plastic on plastic doesn't need to be greased.

I understand the gears from the pinion to the spur (the three gears on the front of the case) don't need to be greased.... are there no gears inside the case? if not, does the internals in the case not require any lubrication.... i don't really know what kind of secret squirrel stuff is inside there since I havent had it apart
Old 03-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Defy Gravity

there's nothing in the case other than the trans shaft of the trans and 2 bearings, if you can get one drive cup off, just pop the e-clip and pull out the other side
Old 03-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
there's nothing in the case other than the central shaft of the trans and 2 bearings, if you can get one drive cup off, just pop the e-clip and pull out the other side
ahhh.... I see now.... is there grease in there? or is it just dry or what?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Defy Gravity

its dry, would actually be a poor idea to put grease in there, wouldn't spin freely. like i said, there are 2 rubber shielded bearings that would like attention possibly, but other than that, leave it alone.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
its dry, would actually be a poor idea to put grease in there, wouldn't spin freely. like i said, there are 2 rubber shielded bearings that would like attention possibly, but other than that, leave it alone.
On each end of the trans, behind the yokes?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
Defy Gravity

yeah, they're the same size as the worm bearings from the looks of things, there's the drive cups, then an e-clip behind that. on the gear side, pull the gear off after the e-clip, pop the pin out, and go. personally, if there's no play in the shaft, i'd leave it alone except for oiling the ones inside the spur gear, just pull the 2 3/32 screws and the middle one and that brace pops off, you'll then see it when you pull the spur off.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
yeah, they're the same size as the worm bearings from the looks of things, there's the drive cups, then an e-clip behind that. on the gear side, pull the gear off after the e-clip, pop the pin out, and go. personally, if there's no play in the shaft, i'd leave it alone except for oiling the ones inside the spur gear, just pull the 2 3/32 screws and the middle one and that brace pops off, you'll then see it when you pull the spur off.
alright thanks.... i wish I could quieten this hairdryer down..... are LCC's as loud?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Defy Gravity

why does it matter if the damn thing is loud. if it runs well why does it matter at all if it makes some noise is my question
Old 03-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
why does it matter if the damn thing is loud. if it runs well why does it matter at all if it makes some noise is my question
because I dont like how it sounds....
Old 03-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
Defy Gravity

i suppose that'll do, never have gotten myself how it gets to some people.....being hard of hearing has its advantages
Old 03-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
i suppose that'll do, never have gotten myself how it gets to some people.....being hard of hearing has its advantages

it just sounds cheap to me..... maybe mine is louder than others.... I dunno...... metal gears? LOL
Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #18

do you greese the matal internals of tranny.when you upgrade to metal?
jetrod7024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #19
Defy Gravity

yup, you should grease metal gears, the plastics is a no though.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:55 AM   #20

Well if you wanna lube the exposed plastic gears, you can drop a bit of graphite lube on them. It's dry and slippery stuff, won't attract dust or any other goobery stuff. I use it on everything I have that uses plastic bushings. Or bronze for that matter. Makes them spin like bearings. I really don't notice it on my LNC, as I've got a 17.5 Sensored Brushless in it that screams louder then the gears do. The comments I get on it are like wow I can hear that isn't stock. Then it goes rock racing almost fast enough to clear jumps. Anyhoo that's another story for another thread. Try the dry graphite lube if you wanna lube the external plastics.
fantacmet is offline   Reply With Quote