Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: My new BND

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My new BND

So I picked up my Night Crawler yesterday and I am happy with it but it does need a couple minor things.
Definately needs some weight at least up front (thinking stick on wheel weight inside tires on wheels, any tips for how much?) Needs a better steering servo and I need to find a way to lower the battery mounting position so it does want to tip over when ever I get off camber. Any help would be appreciated, this is my first functional crawler and first Losi product as well.

Also I am thinking of trimming the stock body up some, maybe to just below the mount holes because it seems to scrape alot and though I'm not competeting it bugs me and holds me up sometimes.

I'd like to create a scaler body for it. I have the FJ40 body pictured below which already seems pretty close to scale but need some body mount ideas.

Heres a couple pics and feel free to throw ideas or suggestions at me....does it need larger tires to look more scale with the FJ40 body?

Last edited by -BIGMAXX-; 10-31-2011 at 11:37 PM.
-BIGMAXX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

If you're wanting to make this more of a competition crawler, then yes, some good rubber would be in order, but if you're wanting to make it a scaler, then you would probably want to move down to 1.9 wheels/tires.
MitchellY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Im going to keep it a crawler and dont want to deminish its abilities in that area, but want to be able to pop on the scale body and do some light trail riding just for fun and have it look fairly realistic. (love the way a scaler looks just cruizin' around in some dirt/sticks/pebbles)
I need to get a roof rack and maybe some bumpers.

I am considering stripping the paint and re doing it with a white top and clear windows, but thats not top of my list.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For weighting wheels, 6 oz up front and 3 oz in the rear is a good all around solution. I've tried more and less and this just seems to be the most optimum. Of course this is my experience and opinion. For adding the weight I've done both the stick on and the lead rope. The rope is the way to go. Here's a source:

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...1318/cat101142

Yes, trim the body. It hangs way to low and gets hung up. Here's how I trimmed mine:

As far as lowering the battery. My dad has a LNC too except he's running a small lipo mounted forward and low. When we have crawled together there has been very little difference in stability and capability. Based on my experiences I would make this a lower priority.

A stronger servo is a must. The more the better. The stock servo is rated at 130 oz/in. I'd recommend nothing less then 300 oz/in. I picked up a JR 8711 that's rated at 400 oz/in at 6v and have been very happy. What ever you decide keep in mind you will need to bypass the speed controler and go through a BEC to get the most out of your servo because the ESC only puts out about 4.5 volts. Also, after upgrading your servo it's a matter of time before you turn your steering linkage into a spaghetti noodle. Plan on upgrading to the comp crawler set up.

The LNC is very capable right out of the box. Add weight, trim the body, upgrade the servo and get some new shoes and you are good to go. I went with the HardBodies Rover white dots and have been very happy. Here's a picture of the new tires mounted on Venom bead locks for a size comparison to the stockers.

Last edited by GrimJeeper91; 10-29-2011 at 09:19 AM.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info and picz
It will be sometime before I change the servo unless after adding weights it gets worse. The body will be trimmed like you did hopefully today if I get time before work. Ive also read else where that battery location isnt really an issue, though i dont see how it couldnt be, i listen and leave that alone.
Since you have one, ill ask you a question.... i have noticed that when driving mine there is a delay in throttle response when changing forward and backward, it requires a pull or two on the trigger to go the other way. Ive noticed this on flat land when turning around to hit the rock pile again more than while crawling and it seems to be worse when turning while changing directions. Is this just a safety measure to protect gears or part of the neutral brake( whatever its called so you dont roll freely while offthe throttle)
Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BIGMAXX- View Post
Thanks for the info and picz
It will be sometime before I change the servo unless after adding weights it gets worse. The body will be trimmed like you did hopefully today if I get time before work. Ive also read else where that battery location isnt really an issue, though i dont see how it couldnt be, i listen and leave that alone.
Since you have one, ill ask you a question.... i have noticed that when driving mine there is a delay in throttle response when changing forward and backward, it requires a pull or two on the trigger to go the other way. Ive noticed this on flat land when turning around to hit the rock pile again more than while crawling and it seems to be worse when turning while changing directions. Is this just a safety measure to protect gears or part of the neutral brake( whatever its called so you dont roll freely while offthe throttle)
Sounds like your ESC is not in crawler mode. Bust out your manual and read up on how to change it. Once set properly it willl allow you to go between forward and reverse instantly.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thats cool. This issue is the only disappointment i have with this thing. I guess i should have read the manual at some point.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

saw your post in my thread and I thought it was a joke, now checking back iy's not a joke. we've started almost the same fire. cool.

I'll keep an eye on your build as well.

nice rig!
eylemkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I have more ideas than I have time and money so I'm sure this will be a very slow build. So build yours and I'll take notes
Old 10-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I trimmed the body right at the indented body line and think its perfect, I tried getting it to scrape while crawlin on my rubbish pile (cement chucks, asphalt pieces and random rocks) and it never came close.
Im going to use the lead wheel weights because I can get them cheap from work. While I have the tire off should I cut the foams into a star shape like I did to my Nylint or is it not needed because its memory foam.
Heres the trimmed bod pic.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Trim job looks good.

I talked with the Losi reps when I was at RC expo and they suggested not cutting the foams in any way. They stayed that they soften as they break in. I started by massaging the each of the tires for 5 minutes and noticed that they did in fact soften quite a bit. After a bunch of runs they have a good feel.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Grim! Was there a reason for trimming the bed off your rig? I've noticed mine has rubbed a bit at times but usually ends up on its side before it interfers?
Im weighting the wheels tonight, You suggested 6oz up front...stupid question is that 3 in ea front wheel or 6 in ea front? I think probably 3 in each but wanna double check.
I suppose Ill go massage my tires while I wait for your reply.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks Grim! Was there a reason for trimming the bed off your rig? I've noticed mine has rubbed a bit at times but usually ends up on its side before it interfers?
Im weighting the wheels tonight, You suggested 6oz up front...stupid question is that 3 in ea front wheel or 6 in ea front? I think probably 3 in each but wanna double check.
I suppose Ill go massage my tires while I wait for your reply.
I cut the bed off after it cracked on both sides right where the bar joins it. Used it once to many times as a handle to right it after a flip.

6 oz to each front wheel, 3 oz to each rear.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

You used the lead rope didnt you? I can only fit 5oz around the inside of the rim inside the tire using the stick ons unles I double stack them. (need Pics?)

I am putting on my Comp Claws too, they have the super soft memory foam and squish alot better than the stock rock claws.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You used the lead rope didnt you? I can only fit 5oz around the inside of the rim inside the tire using the stick ons unles I double stack them. (need Pics?)

I am putting on my Comp Claws too, they have the super soft memory foam and squish alot better than the stock rock claws.
I used the lead stick on's when I added weight to the stock tires and wheels. And you are correct, to get 6 oz you need to double them up since the weight does not fit into the slot in the wheel. That's why I recommended the lead rope and that what I used for my new wheels and tires. I should have followed up my recommendation with the reason. The stick on's do the job but the lead rope is better and much easier to work with.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Here are a few pics taken while weighting the wheels and putting on the comp claws and removing the stock rock claws.

The Comp claws feel alot stickier (softer compound) and wrap around obsticles much better. Also the comp claws came with the light colored memory foam and the stock foam that was in the rock claws is pretty dense and does not give well at all.

Im much happier now and it does seems to walk up and over my course with a bit more ease. I am still looking for a way to further lower the center of gravity as it tends to want to roll back when approaching a high angle and the rear tires hit the edge of the incline, the fronts lift and unless you change your course it rolls over.
These two pics show the slight difference in the rock vs comp claws. Comps seem a bit larger.

Everyone has probably seen these already but here is the large memory foam thats in the comp claws

This is how the 1/4 per brick of wheel weight fit on the stock LNC wheels, ot alot of contact but the foams will hold them in place along with the sticky tape they come on.

This is 5oz on each front wheel

and the 3oz spread out on each rear wheel
Old 11-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Combined my threads for this truck all to one thread.....
here----->C4 LNC Build