Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: building 4-link. having problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #21
Defy Gravity

Default Re: building 4-link. having problems.

perfectionism has its place when you're doing dead final links, for test and tune purposes, i usually make a quick and dirty set. that being said, good work on a quick and dirty set a wheelbase jig is essential to any crawler, even if you buy a chassis with links, i'd still throw it up on the jig. a yard stick is a decent and dirt cheap way to go, my next one will be make out of 1/8" plate with a chassis support bar system as well. can go from mild to wild on the tools you make for these, believe me...you should see my jig pile.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

question. is there any way to correct for the axle clocking? iv raised my upper link, use a shorter link and even tryed raising it to one of the holes above the link holes. but i believe that is going to be to drastic of an angle or to high... would it be better to make my lower links longer as to push the lower end of the axle ferther out to clock it in the oppoiste direction?

currently its clocked far enough forward that when useing the 4w steering the tires clip the lower link.
TNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Well, there's a bunch of things to consider here. If it were me, I'd plan on using the top hole on the chassis for the upper link, first of all. Then design it around that. As far as fixing the clocking goes, dluxfab makes just what you need, and I've installed them here: My First Rock Crawler Buildup w/ Losi Night Crawler Honestly, though, for the amount of time you're going to spend making your own, you'd be better off buying the bent lowers from dluxfab for the front and rear and leaving your stock uppers in place. That's all I've done, and it performs pretty well so far.

The problems you're going to run into is that without the proper length links, you run the risk of binding the driveshaft either at full droop or stuff, or both potentially. Just my thoughts for ya...

Chris
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #24
Defy Gravity

chris, remember some people prefer to make things themselves. this isn't only a driving hobby, hell look at my truck....the fab is my hobby, the driving is to blow off steam. that being said, the link placement on the stock chassis felt utterly lacking, not enough adjustment for tuning. the top hole of the chassis will almost always end in a squat situation....i personally hate running suspension in squat. lets the axle ball up the suspension then unload erratically. as far as axle clocking the whole axle, tried my best to make it work, never could make the driveshafts like me, so making or buying something like the 20 deg c's or dlux caster rings would be the ticket.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

had to make a simple jig for making the links doing it by hand just wasnt repatable thankfully i had this old pede rim laying around perfect amount of bend... while i was at it i decided to make my own version of the lcc shock mounts. so far only have to 2 the rear but will be making another 2 for the front as long as these 2 work out ok.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

ok been a while since i posted on this,
been trying (again) to make some bent links i made a jig for uppers that turned out AMAZING, 2 links damn near perfect... which allowed me to go back and try my hand at lowers again, i reused my last set and a wheelbase jig and they seem to work great but iv noticed something a lil werid.

it seems my right link hits my motor when suspention compresses, is there something i can do to fix this.
heres a side pic if anybody is interested
Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Yep, that's normal. I clocked my tranny to eliminate it.

Chris
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

ok well then i guess ill just deal with it unless i figure out how to finish my homemade chassis.

thanks.

building 4-link. having problems. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
building a four link JIMMYBOB General Crawlers 12 01-10-2007 09:11 PM
building 4 link hardin316 Newbie General 6 12-17-2006 08:45 PM
Building a TXT Rock Climber and running into problems Rckcrwlr Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 24 11-07-2006 07:49 AM
Need help building a 4 link chassis daven75 General Crawlers 4 03-19-2006 09:35 AM