Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Comp Crawler Build Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

Default Losi Comp Crawler Build Advice

I'm a newbie looking for some initial build advice if I decide to go with the LCC (still up in the air). I will never be a comp guy, more of a back yard crawler, which for me is the Rockies. I like to do the right thing first, and hate to buy something only to replace it in the future.

I've done enough research to know that I need beside the kit:

- Motor and ESC
- Servo
- Radio
- Battery and charge (not to worried about this)

I'm just lost with all the choices. I don't need top of the line, but I don't want to make regrettable purchases. Any help and eduction would be great.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by mmm0042; 03-01-2012 at 08:31 PM.
mmm0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #2

Default Re: Losi Comp Crawler Build Advice

I'm a noob as will and i got a losi night crawler, almost the same as a comp cralwer but no dig and plastic links. I'm very happy with it. With what to to in it i'm only going to tell you what i put in mine.

Motor and ESC - Goat 3 brushless.
Servo - Hitec hs-7950 steering servo. ( going in next week)
Radio - Spektum DX3C.
Battery and charge - I run 3 cell lipos, and a Venom pro charger.

Hope it helps.
Chris
RuMBoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Just get a LNC!
smuggl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It depended on what you're going to do down the road. I bought a lnc originally and completely wasted my money because now it's a pretty full blown lcc.

Chris
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

My advice you wont be happy with less than a 300 oz servo, make sure you get a motor and esc capable of at least 3s batteries, brushless systems are the way to go with a losi and spectrum radios are a great place to start i have no complaints about my dx3c. I wish i knew about this forum b4 my purchase of an lnc it may have swayed my decision but ive been pleased with it anyway. Just do your research and buy right the first time.
kbogger81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yep, I'd have to agree that the bigger the servo the better.

Chris
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I got my LCC on a tight budget, and is still trying to get it somewhat right. A higher budget is definitely better...
- You do need a pinion for the motor! (None is provided with the LCC.)
- At least three channels on the radio. If you can afford a servo for the dig at the same time, the better.
- Brushless seems like the right motor option. Question is what power it should be. For speed you need high power (lower wind) motor, for torque you want more winds.

I have two brushed motors for mine, which I alternate.
One Venom 50T, which paired with a 16T pinion provide the strength needed for climbing and rough terrain. Top speed ~2mph.
One HSP 25T, which paired with a 12T pinion increase the top speed to ~4mph, but as soon as the motor temperature goes up a little (still <90F) and the battery voltage drop closer to 7V the strength to negotiate terrain just isn't there.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

13.5 brushless
3s lipo
12T Pinion
HD gears
Better tires (rovers or sedonas) with weights
losi gold shock springs
biggest oz. servo you can afford (solar servo I think has a 400oz. for around $25.00 if you can find one in stock)

I've been very happy with these parts. Only issue has been periodic stripped plastic spur gear. Some like the plastic gear as a "fusible link" so to speak. I replaced mine with a Hot Racing metal gear. No issues with it yet.
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

HD gears in the front axle, to overdrive the front end slightly. and stock or Dlux rear gears they are the same ratio. but the dlux are claimed to be stouter, either way regular maintenace is essential.... read petes phoenix tinker thread. or at least try to. i still havnt covered every page yet. but LOTS of good information. my LNC will have a dig trans in the near future. to date the only hard part ive broken is a drive pin in the front axle. other than that all stock. i added 4 wheel steer using all stock LNC front end parts.
dieselmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

no one as of yet has mentioned a b.e.c. dont forgert the bec, if you run 3s without it chances are it will glitch alot. if you dont want to spent alot I highly recomend the outcry from rc 4wd for $50. it has a bec pre-installed and will handle up to 4s lipo. only draw back is there is no lipo cut-off so it would be in your best iterest to purchase a lipo buzzer, but those are cheap. I hope this helps.
iluvny081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencr View Post
It depended on what you're going to do down the road. I bought a lnc originally and completely wasted my money because now it's a pretty full blown lcc.

Chris
Your obviously not the only one to mention the LNC, good or bad on this thread, but why was it a waste? What is the difference between the two? Good and bad?

Anyone feel free to pipe in with opinions, positive or negative. I am open to changing platforms, etc. Just trying to figure out what is right for me.

Thanks!
Matt
Old 03-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbogger81 View Post
My advice you wont be happy with less than a 300 oz servo, make sure you get a motor and esc capable of at least 3s batteries, brushless systems are the way to go with a losi and spectrum radios are a great place to start i have no complaints about my dx3c. I wish i knew about this forum b4 my purchase of an lnc it may have swayed my decision but ive been pleased with it anyway. Just do your research and buy right the first time.
Thank you so much! Exactly the type of info I was looking for.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #13

Thanks to all the posters. You've given me a lot to think about and research. I'm sure I'll be back soon with questions.

Matt

Also, due to the newbie status and required moderator review of the first few posts, my responses are not the correct order and have not all been posted.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Only difference Ive noticed between the lnc and lcc is dig, lower battery tray, shock"hoops", different tires and links? LNC has lights. I have the lnc and its pretty good. Comped today and my spur gear is about to shit the bed.

I would advise a better servo reguardless of which you go with. Mine killed me today, wont turn when you got all the wheight on the front axle
Frikenwoodro is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi Comp Crawler Build Advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp Crawler Build TheREDCAT Team Losi Comp Crawler 81 06-30-2016 11:55 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
Comp Crawler in Cancun, Mx. advice needed Cancun Tom Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 02-24-2012 03:26 PM
Want to build a Super class crawler.. advice bnoland Superclass Crawlers 21 10-24-2010 04:29 PM
Comp Crawler Build Mitsuman Team Losi Comp Crawler 2 05-31-2009 11:05 AM