Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: LNC class 2 scaler build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default LNC class 2 scaler build thread

Last November, I got a used AX10 Scorpion RTC. Over the next several months, it was transformed into a class 3 scaler, sporting a tcscrawlers X-Trail chassis and HPI Bronco body, and a bunch of other mods (of course ). I like the truck and it drives well. My LHS has started having informal "run what you brung" crawler events once a month. A couple friends have class 2 and class 3 scalers, and I've been wanting to try class 2. I picked up a slightly used LNC that was on consignment at my LHS for $150. It has some aluminum axle parts but is otherwise stock. I have an SCX10 frame on the way, as well as some internal shock springs. I hope to set it up on that frame, do a partial compression / partial droop shock set up, and do a pickup cab with a wooden bed to start with. Here's a pic of the truck as-is now:

Name:  DSC_0093-001.jpg
Views: 3060
Size:  83.4 KB

Down the road, I'd like to do overdrive gears in the front, and get some more scale looking wheels and tires.

This is my first experience with a Losi crawler. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, they are welcome
Josh_Br is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Come over and get a full run down on my losi.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Tin Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: LNC class 2 scaler build thread

Make sure you keep the LNC trans. Prob gonna need at least a 20T pinion and a hot motor (13.5 brushless good choice) on at least 3s to get any wheelspeed out of a class 2 rig.

Also, LCC driveshafts will be easier to work with when hooking up your suspension due to slight wheelbase changes you may occur.

Here is link to build thread for my Losi Class 3
Losi Class 3 / Mudd'n Militia 79 Ford F-250
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Are the only major differenced between the LNC and LCC the dig and the driveshafts? Just wondering.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Br View Post
Are the only major differenced between the LNC and LCC the dig and the driveshafts? Just wondering.
Not really...axles, skid plate, TVP and Suspension geometry are the same.

LCC has better shocks, better driveshafts ( in my opinion ), totally different trans, different shock / battery mounting and aluminum links / tie-rod.

For a scaler, I think the LNC is a better choice due to the tranny alone... LCC driveshafts are easy to find on e-gay, the LNC trans is not. The LNC even has lights

Suspension links will more than likely be a trial and error to get the geometry right. Not gonna be able to simply swap LNC links to the SCX chassis. I mixed and matched LCC / SCX links with my homemade skid to get geometry "close", but not perfect. May have to make homemade links as well.
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Ok, thanks, I had been wondering. Yeah, I'm happy about the lights that it came with I was a little surprised at the ghetto driveshafts though. I can make links if needed, but want to get the body first.

I have been thinking about the skid plate. GiJoe, you said you made your own. Ryan, which skidplate does your LCC scaler use?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Nice choice to do another scaler. I am pretty sure I just came to the same conclusion this morning. Except I think I am going to turn my honcho into the class 2 truck and project basket case into a tube buggy type class 3.
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanord View Post
Nice choice to do another scaler. I am pretty sure I just came to the same conclusion this morning. Except I think I am going to turn my honcho into the class 2 truck and project basket case into a tube buggy type class 3.
I think that's a very good idea. When I read your recent post about basket case breaking again, I thought that maybe you could make it into something different, make good use of the nice drivetrain parts, and have better luck. Well, let us know if you start building!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
RCC Addict

yeah, I kept a set of rock lights from my LNC. The LCC does have better suspension and stuff. I had issues with my links and stuff. When the rig would lean to one way the wheels would pinch together causing steer like a bicycle. I had to really mess with it. Also, the losi WB was way shorter then Axial. You may want to stretch it out a bit. I left mine short on purpose, but it does require picking better lines.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
NFG
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Br View Post
I was a little surprised at the ghetto driveshafts though.
Those driveshafts are awesome. I have kicked the crap out of mine and they still "keep on keepin' on". 3 cell Lipo power, sticky tires all twisted up clawing for traction and never an issue. Mine have maybe 40 plus hours of abuse and they still function perfectly. They have also taken a few direct hits from hight and still have not bent or broke.

They also let you run bent links with minimal clearance issues. I would switch them up with my LCC but I am going MOA and there is no point.
NFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
RCC Addict

BTW I had an LNC that I swapped a LCC tranny into and comped with. Never broke a driveshaft. Just like NFG said, they will take a beating.

Also can you measure the ride height from the bottom of the skid? I am trying to figure out if I need to lower mine down or not.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Oh also, you will find that you may have issues with certain wheels on the LNC. They have a different offset then Axials and the wheels rub. That's why I put the wideners on mine. Or you can do a better aluminum wheel with better offset. I do have a set of 1.9 wheels and tire if you are interested.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
NFG
Pebble Pounder

I ditched the plastic hex drives and put on Aluminium Losi Comp Crawler ones. Way better. I had a wheel nut issue that eventualy spun the wheels on the soft stock hexs and rounded them off. On my Comp Crawler I run some TLR buggy hexs that I had to mod slightly. These units are bulletproof and look like a million dollars.

I also found that the Axial hexs work but you need to grind down the lip at the top. The one real issue is that Axial uses a fatter pin so there is a little slop in the drive as it loads up. In a pinch I would us them. In fact I have a set in my spares just in case I need a quick repair.

Last edited by NFG; 07-27-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

For the past couple days, I've been nearly driving myself crazy, trying to find the complete front cab of a hi-lux for a reasonable price. I'm not willing to spend above $40 on a body; that just seems like too much for me. Sure, towerhobbies or rc4wd has the hi-lux cab for $15 or so, but then you need the back of the cab, the grille, the bumper, at a minimum, which adds up to about $60, not to mention the windshild, and I don't know if you need the radiator support in order to mount the grille....so I eventually gave up on that and got the lexan version: Yota 1/10 Lexan Scale Body. Not sure if Ill try to chop off the bed and do a wooden bed, or maybe just leave the body as-is, at least for now. It was $36 shipped, which still seems like a lot, but maybe I'm getting older and stingy....
Old 07-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Dude! You should have asked! I have a brand new Yota lexan here unpainted. I would have done $25. :-)
Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
NFG
Pebble Pounder

Ha ha! I am cheap and stingy too. But compared to the motorcycle hobby I have this RC stuff is cheap. Still I work hard for my money and parting with it I expect value. Bottom line some times you have to pay to play!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I have over $6k wrapped up in this hobby, but I had that in one jeep axle when I ran 1:1. So this is waaaayyyy better. I currently have 12 trucks here. :-)
Old 07-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Soldier View Post
Dude! You should have asked! I have a brand new Yota lexan here unpainted. I would have done $25. :-)
You know, I almost called you to see if you had something laying around. :(
Old 07-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Should have. I have been amassing stuff. :-) I just cleaned out the tire drawer and posted up a bunch of crawler tires on here. I have a milk crate full of go fast tires still. :-)
Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

The internal shock springs arrived Saturday, and the Yota body today. Sure is fun getting an RC4WD box delivered! I think the frame will come tomorrow, then hopefully I can tear into things soon. I've been doing some reading and youtube watching about LNC scalers. Seems like a common issue to work out is the skid plate.

LNC class 2 scaler build thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mini freak's lnc build thread mini freak Team Losi Comp Crawler 16 11-27-2011 12:36 PM
Swezy207's 2.2 scaler build! (first build thread) swezy207 2.2 Scale Rigs 43 09-19-2011 07:01 PM
Mudn_1's budget LNC build thread mudn_1 Team Losi Comp Crawler 43 02-22-2011 03:53 PM
501's LCC and LNC build thread 501 Team Losi Comp Crawler 10 12-31-2010 06:24 PM
R2j Kustoms TJ Scaler/Tuber....first build thread R2j 2.2 Scale Rigs 27 07-14-2009 02:36 PM