Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi 2.2 Needs help!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Default Losi 2.2 Needs help!!!

Just got my wife a used Losi 2.2 crawler, one of the worm gear ones, and I have some issues to address.

#1: It is ungodly slow. I know, it's a crawler, not a racer, but it goes slower than walking pace. It came with a bad Losi ESC and a brushed 55t Axial motor. I put in a Traxxas XL5 for waterproofing reasons and a 27t brushed motor, an older Midnight 2 Pro. That didn't help one bit.

The ESC is not programming endpoints, and I am sure that's one of my biggest culprits, so I have another one coming soon from a friend, and hopefully that will work, but my question is: "Will it always be so slow?" I have an AX10 running the same ESC and a 27t motor and I'm getting a reasonable 10-12mph. I just want to see this thing move at about the same pace and still be capable of crawling. Am I barking up the wrong tree in general with this rig or is that reasonable with the equipment I'm trying to use?

#2: If I need to upgrade the system in general, I can do that. I'd rather not, but I can. Could I get some suggestions on beefier waterproof systems, should I have go that route? I asked her if she'd be interested in trading a friend for a scaler, her reply was "I like my Losi". One option I've been looking at is the Turnigy Trackstar line, since they are waterproof and brushless.

Long made short, I want her crawler to compete on flat land with my Axial, I want to keep it waterproof for trail runs, and run no more than 2s LiPo. Somebody help!
FahrtAutoRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Losi 2.2 Needs help!!!

Well, bad news and more bad news....

1. you will need to upgrade your running gear
2. you wont get that speed on 2S

I gotta assume you are in Akron OH?
If so, have you been on the NOSTR site? We're local NE OH crawlers. We are getting together at Virginia Kendal ledges tomorrow at 10am.

I run all my LOSI's as scale trucks. If you stop by, you can check them out in person. I can show you all thats been done to make them reliable as hell on any trail and get decent wheel speed.
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #3

North Hill part of Akron, yea, but we usually stay pretty close and go to the Gorge park in the Falls. I've just been told that the solution to my problems would be to run SCX10 axles in place of the Losi ones, but I don't see how or how that would work. Basically what you're telling me is I need to go brushless and bring a bigger battery? If this is the only way I think I'd rather convince her to trade for a regular scaler. I'll already be dipping into my schooling funds to upgrade what she's got, I don't like these price tags getting higher and higher!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Virginia Kendal Ledges is not far from you. Maybe 20 minutes. Rt. 8 north to Steels Corners or 303. Its in Peninsula

I get good wheelspeed from my losis. If you want to trail ride with it, I suggest the following items:

comp crawler

Mamba Max Pro ESC
18.5 Sensored Brushless
HD axle gears
Metal Tranny gears
4S Lipo
12T pinion

For Night Crawler

MMP esc
13.5 Sensored brushless
HD axle gears
Metal Trans Gears
3S Lipo
15T pinion
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #5

Right. No. For all that I'll either be figuring out something else or trading someone for an Axial. Thanks anyway.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Good luck trading for an axial but yeah the worm gears give up wheel speed but replace it with tq I have both an scx10 and a scaler losi I like both a lot I'm also the only losi in my group and when driveing I take more of a turtle vs hair approach slow and steady
alterchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The losi is the land rover of the crawler world. It is quicker to roll down a hill than have it in gear.

Last edited by pajey; 12-01-2013 at 12:51 PM.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Lol that's good
alterchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FahrtAutoRC View Post
Right. No. For all that I'll either be figuring out something else or trading someone for an Axial. Thanks anyway.
You can certainly get it faster than walking speed without everything GIJoe suggested. But it will never match a decent AX10 for speed. If that's your requirement better get trading. A Losi is a cockroach...slow, unstoppable and hangs on walls like you wouldn't believe. Sounds like that's not what you want.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Hi and welcome!

Quote:
#1: It is ungodly slow. ... It came with a bad Losi ESC and a brushed 55t Axial motor. I put in a 27t brushed motor, an older Midnight 2 Pro. That didn't help one bit.
With a 55T motor it should be really slow. The LNC stock motor is 35T.
At 27T you should be able to bring it up to about walking pace, a tad over 3 mph.
That takes proper gearing and reduced friction!

Quote:
... my question is: "Will it always be so slow?" I have an AX10 running the same ESC and a 27t motor and I'm getting a reasonable 10-12mph. I just want to see this thing move at about the same pace and still be capable of crawling.
My LCC is capable of at least almost that top speed, and proper crawling.
You don't want it to move at 10mph for prolonged times though!
Here's why worm drive crawlers are slow!
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi 2.2 Needs help!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
flat irons+losi 1.9 Team Losi rims for LOSI Mini= ? general lee Tires and Wheels 11 08-27-2009 04:08 PM