Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Diamond D's giving the losi a shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Diamond D's giving the losi a shot

Well its probably about time I start a build thread. I've been putting together axles for a while now and gathering up parts as I go. I had the axles complete front and rear and also put together a LNC trans and motor setup. My original plan was to modify my Y-town Villain chassis and then I ran across an already built losi with the tag axle kit on it and went for it.
So today was the virgin run for it. It still needs a lot of tuning and maybe a bit more wheel speed and torque which from the sound of it its not easy finding a good motor for wheel speed and torque and good low end resolution.
Anyways here is what I'm working with right now.

This is how I bought the tag kit crawler off rcc.

It came with the tag kit and
Version 1 SUDU chassis
Futaba servo
Holmes BR mini
Brood stubby cobalt magnets 45T
LNC trans
HD gears up front and stock in the rear
VP chub and knucks
Y-town dubs
Voodoo blues up front and silvers in the rear
Big bore shocks

I also had to use the axles that I have been putting together because the tag axle tangs are actually twisting. That tells me that these shaft extensions are not hard enough.

On the other axles I have been building I had Dlux make me some buggy shafts. So I hope those hold up a lot better than the tag shafts. Anyways here is how it sits right now. Still need a lot more tuning time but was happy to get it out on the rocks for a bit today.

Last edited by Diamond D; 07-27-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
5th D Owner/Driver

Default Re: Diamond D's giving the losi a shot

Good grab out of the classifieds, curious to see what you think of the Losi after you get more time on it.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:58 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice !!

Great to see more Losi's
JENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post

I also had to use the axles that I have been putting together because the tag axle tangs are actually twisting. That tells me that these shaft extensions are not hard enough.

On the other axles I have been building I had Dlux make me some buggy shafts. So I hope those hold up a lot better than the tag shafts.
Very Nice!

I had a similar issue on some TAG axles I purchased. At the time, I was pushing to make some practice with it before a comp, so I switched the axles so the 'twist' was going toward the forward direction. Hope that makes sense.

Definitely not a permanent fix, but I have had nary an issue. I do inspect it closely during rebuilds, and it has not moved. BUT, I do need a permanent fix.

I suspect that it is that I try and drive more graceful than bind and bury the throttle. Who knows, but I will be watching to see what you come up with and your impressions.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
Very Nice!

I had a similar issue on some TAG axles I purchased. At the time, I was pushing to make some practice with it before a comp, so I switched the axles so the 'twist' was going toward the forward direction. Hope that makes sense.

Definitely not a permanent fix, but I have had nary an issue. I do inspect it closely during rebuilds, and it has not moved. BUT, I do need a permanent fix.

I suspect that it is that I try and drive more graceful than bind and bury the throttle. Who knows, but I will be watching to see what you come up with and your impressions.

Ya as of right now I am running the Dlux buggy shafts he made me. So these tag axles will have to do as spares if I get in a pinch and need them.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

So I know this is an old question but I'm looking for some motor and esc advice. The BR mini seems to be getting pretty hot. And I noticed even with this cobalt brood motor that I can stall out the motor in a bind. The current wheel speed is ok. I'd like to have some more though. Its pretty smooth low end resolution and and downhill control is ok. Keep in mind I run 4s 430 mah lipos.
I am considering giving the ROC412 or one of the novak ballistic motors a shot but just not sure which one to try out to get the best combo of it all (torque, wheelspeed and good low end resolution) and of course good downhill control. Anyways I have been pm'ing JENS about all of this as well maybe its good to bring it to the forum. I have also been reading up in this forum a bit too.
And as far as the ESC I've been thinking mamba max pro or maybe the holmes BLE pro.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
So I know this is an old question but I'm looking for some motor and esc advice. The BR mini seems to be getting pretty hot. And I noticed even with this cobalt brood motor that I can stall out the motor in a bind. The current wheel speed is ok. I'd like to have some more though. Its pretty smooth low end resolution and and downhill control is ok. Keep in mind I run 4s 430 mah lipos.
I am considering giving the ROC412 or one of the novak ballistic motors a shot but just not sure which one to try out to get the best combo of it all (torque, wheelspeed and good low end resolution) and of course good downhill control. Anyways I have been pm'ing JENS about all of this as well maybe its good to bring it to the forum. I have also been reading up in this forum a bit too.
And as far as the ESC I've been thinking mamba max pro or maybe the holmes BLE pro.
I think you definitely need to try sensored brushless. Before comping went dead in my area I was going to give a Novak 17.5t a try on 4s. Might be a little too much, as I was also going to try a 21.5t on 4s as well. I ran 13.5t for a long time and it was ok, but I wanted a little more out of it. I think Dlux favorite setup was a 10.5t ballistic on 3s, that's also a good combo.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
I think you definitely need to try sensored brushless. Before comping went dead in my area I was going to give a Novak 17.5t a try on 4s. Might be a little too much, as I was also going to try a 21.5t on 4s as well. I ran 13.5t for a long time and it was ok, but I wanted a little more out of it. I think Dlux favorite setup was a 10.5t ballistic on 3s, that's also a good combo.

So with the 13.5t I take it that was on 4s as well? And what exactly was it lacking? Hoping to stick with my 4s lipos. I run the same lipos in my pro.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
RCC Addict

No, 13.5t was on 3s. That was the most common setup for losi comp guys. Dlux ran 10.5t on 3s and said that was his best setup. I wanted to try 17.5t or 21.5t on 4s! 4s is going to be too much for 13.5t, try the 17 or 21

Last edited by Tgreer; 07-27-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #10
Custom Carbon Fiber

When I ran mine I had a D3 17.5 with a 12.5 rotor in it. I thought that was perfect. I remember people trying 13.5's and they could overheat and stall them and big rotors liked to make them chug.

Me I would recommend a good 17.5 with a 12.5 rotor, maybe a D4 or even the D3.5 would be my pick if I was doing it again brushless. Also ESC is gonna be important.

Tekin made a change a while back to help rock crawlers. They added a 'minimum drive' setting that we would adjust up. This seemed to help with stalling (cogging) since we tend to operate at the lower rpm area of brushless. This changed the amount of initial startup the motor had from dead zero throttle. It helped.

Also came in handy in blinky touring car .... it would shoot that bastard out of a corner hard lol. Almost like running boost in a non boost class.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I've been running old school Novak (silver can) 13.5 sensored on 4S with a MMP for a long time. Its been my favorite combo thusfar.

16t pinion in a LNC trans
13t pinion in an LCC trans

this is also with HD Worms Front / Standard Worms rear.
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Glad to see this going Dave......dang I need to get on the forum more often. Now you understand kinda looking for the perfect blend of gearing and power with these. Can you feel my pain now.....ha
bquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquin View Post
Glad to see this going Dave......dang I need to get on the forum more often. Now you understand kinda looking for the perfect blend of gearing and power with these. Can you feel my pain now.....ha

I can for sure. Well heres the latest update. I just put in an order for a holmes BLE esc and it will be paired up with an inrunner 2200kv brushless motor. Got my fingers crossed that it will be a good combo.

Last edited by Diamond D; 07-29-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:50 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

i ran with tgreer when i had my losi cc. i ran the mmp 1cell esc, on 3s and the novak ballistic 18.5 turn crawler motor. it was very good low end and downhill, but it lacked a little wheelspeed. on 4s i think it would have really been good.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:06 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Nice work Dave!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:31 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

16,tooth pinion and 3 cell and you will be very happy
May even get away will 18 pinion
crashtestheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Which material are the extensions?

I never had this problem yet....
braune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by braune View Post
Which material are the extensions?

I never had this problem yet....
Not sure. But they are apparently to soft. These are what came with the tag kit I assume. So I would guess they are all the same unless this is an early version and maybe he change material or hardened them?
Old 08-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

My extensions are made out of ti gr5

Cool Losi btw...
braune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I will follow this thread... Had a few questionswhich are already answered .
i have a LNC coming in next week. The guy has bought it once and never ran it. So it should be brandnew....
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote

Diamond D's giving the losi a shot - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C*H*U*D's Creeper C*H*U*D Venom Creeper 14 09-03-2016 07:24 PM
C*H*U*D's Ridgecrest C*H*U*D Axial AX10 2nd-gen 261 10-17-2014 04:39 PM
M.a.d's Yota MaD222 Videos! 0 05-04-2013 07:37 PM
C*H*U*D's New F-4 Build C*H*U*D Axial AX-10 Scorpion 81 10-28-2010 10:35 AM
mc d's singing MGS511 Chit Chat 2 10-14-2006 04:31 PM