Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: My Losi Night Crawler 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #1

Default My Losi Night Crawler 2.0

Recently I wanted to add another rig to the stable to compete in the local “open class” which is basically a 2.2 class. Many of the local guys run wraiths and bombers so I wanted something different. I had seen an LNC 1.0 in action last year and was impressed by it. Picked up the 2.0 and it has been very fun so far.

I painted a clear body for it. Also added a Holmes TorqueMaster 35t motor, JConcepts Ruptures tires, Crawler Innovations dual stage foams and China aluminum beadlocks with wideners.

This thing is a monster. I ran a stand-alone comp with it (first run) and it took 1st place in the 2.2 class. I plan to replace the steering servo as the stock one felt weak. That seems to be the only weak point I have found so far.

Tire size comparison:

The Ruptures are about an inch taller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Theycallmetex00; 04-13-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Theycallmetex00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Tib
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My Losi Night Crawler 2.0

Love those wheels and tires looks great. Well done on the body. I picked up a jx servo and I’m happy with it. Strong for sure just, normal speed. We have them on both our comp crawler and night crawler 2.0

Tib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Looks great. How do those tires do on the rocks? What type of rocks do you crawl on?

tjsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsnyder View Post
Looks great. How do those tires do on the rocks? What type of rocks do you crawl on?

The comp that it ran was at an indoor course made of dry dusty rocks, some smooth and some not, clay, and likely concrete. The tires hooked up extremely well and their size helped too. They have an incredible amount of bite. The side lugs caused it to want to climb walls, this will take some getting used to.

The courses that it will normally run are a mix of dirt, mud, water, sand, concrete, and rock, wet and dry, smooth and rough. I haven’t tested it in those conditions because we still have a bit of snow here. The comp series starts in 2 weeks so we shall soon see.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
Hal
Quarry Creeper

The only thing I found weak was the servo also. It started from there....... I wanted more steering..... more wheel speed.... better traction.... wound up with an XR10 mod font end, bigger servo, Momba Max ESC, 3800 KV motor, overdriven front diff, shaved Sedonas, new body, new chassis and it keeps going. It realy can be a sickness. I love my Losi 2.0. It will do almost everything my MOA will do. You have to keep an eye on temps of the diffs. Too long a run and they will get hot and spin the bearings in the plastic diffs. A good idea is the grease port mod. Put a hole in the front of the diff to put grease in between teardowns. There are still some upgrades available like steel tranny gears and aluminum brace for those gears. If you are keeping the Losi front end, do the 20 degree chubs, they help steering a lot. Also wider stance with some wider wheel spacers (I recomend .750 inch if you can find them in the front at least. It ok to have the rear narrower. It helps cutting through gates. Welcome to worm gear world
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #6

I did end up putting a stronger steering servo in it and the steering is much better now.

It was widened with wider wheel hubs and wider hexes. The stance and steering are great.

My plan for this rig is to replace parts only when necessary because I am blowing a lot of money on my C1 SCX10.2 4door Hilux build and my C2 SCX10.2 Hilux truggy build.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #7

Today was the first comp in the local series. I ran the LNC and it performed very well. I did have some trouble because the gates were unusually narrow, narrower than a Bomber. Ultimately this rig had a DNF due to losing throttle. I’m not sure if it’s the ESC or the rx/tx. Motor seemed good and was cool to the touch. I still had steering though. Didn’t take many photos because I ran three classes but here are a few:

Anyone else lose throttle in theirs? This was its second run. My guess is ESC.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
Tib
Pebble Pounder

Very nice thanks for sharing. We have probably ran close to 35 packs thru our lnc2.0 and never lost the throttle.

Tib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #9

It might be due to installing a 277oz servo and no bec. I might try a HW 1080 Esc in it as I have been happy with them in my SCX10.2s.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

6” tires and a bigger Servo. That’s probably what did it. I would swap in the 1080 and a 3s you will be pleased

Old 04-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #11

Quote:
6” tires and a bigger Servo. That’s probably what did it. I would swap in the 1080 and a 3s you will be pleased

I’m thinking so. It was on 3s today. I plan to get a 1080 and another receiver to run it on the GT3b.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

What receiver and transmitter are you using now? I’m thinking that’s not the problem it’s the esc just browning out. Try the 1080 first.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #13

Quote:
What receiver and transmitter are you using now? I’m thinking that’s not the problem it’s the esc just browning out. Try the 1080 first.

I’m using the stock rx/tx. I had already planned on getting the receiver so that I can run all three classes with one transmitter. They are only $5-$6.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Oh ok. You will be surprised with the 1080

Old 05-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #15

Got the HW 1080 installed along with a receiver to run it off the gt3b. The next comp is Saturday so results and photos will follow

Old 05-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #16

Ran the LNC at another comp today and got another DNF. I think the motor went bad this time

Old 07-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

im kinda sorta back in the worm game.

I found, that these nightcrawlers like a sensored brushless setup.

ive ran a 10.5 on 3s and a 13.5 on 3s. im willing to bet a cheap duratrax 10.5 or 13.5 would work decent for ya. or you can find used trinity d3 can motors for relatively the same price as a new dtx discontinued motor.

the trouble would be finding a smaller esc that can run the 4s if you want it to. some esc's can run 3s.

I ran the 10.5 on 2s for some time in one of my scale rigs (losi drivetrain) and had no issues.

ill be starting a thread soon if you would like to follow along. im building a budget stocker, and once the next doneo rig arrives, it will be an all out whats on the market build.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #18
Custom Carbon Fiber

13.5 D3 w/12.5HT rotor on 3S is perfect - 4S and youre gonna over heat the motor and cook the sensor boards.

Trick with Losi is not driving it like everyone else drives their Axials.
Practice Practice Practice
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
13.5 D3 w/12.5HT rotor on 3S is perfect - 4S and youre gonna over heat the motor and cook the sensor boards.

Trick with Losi is not driving it like everyone else drives their Axials.
Practice Practice Practice
does the 12.5ht rotor make a noticeable difference? 13.5 d3 is all i run in my losi rigs.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #20
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
does the 12.5ht rotor make a noticeable difference? 13.5 d3 is all i run in my losi rigs.
I never tried the other ones when I had my Losi so I couldnt tell ya. In my race buggies and oval cars I can say its felt on the tracks.

My Tekin I did notice an improvement though when I went from the 12.3 to 12.5 rotors.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote

My Losi Night Crawler 2.0 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here! Mad Dawg Team Losi Comp Crawler 355 05-14-2023 06:43 PM