Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Vanquish SSZ Series Scale Wheels featuring PitBull RockBeast XOR Tires and C.I. Foams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Dude those wheels are so sick.......LOVE BLACK ON BLACK........

I know the Interco IROK works on 1:1 like a "champ"

Obviously the Pitbull has some great features/lugz and if it's sticky like everyone says it might perform better than a HB Rover????????
Im excited to find out!

Now who to talk to about sponsoring my ride at our first comp?????

Someone needs to do a giveaway!
KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #22
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper_05 View Post

The foams to be used, Crawler InNovations DD's
Good write up. The VP wheel looks amazing. I just hope they make some in 1.9 or 1.55.

There is so much going on in your write up that it's no wonder everyone over looked something very important in the foam picture. Can anyone tell me what is missing on the 5.5 tall Double Deuce Nova Foams?
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Looks great ScottSo with the slw 475 hubs you are a 10" ?

What would it take to get to 10.5 ? I hate to go that wide but to get the most out of the super 300's thats what I need.

Vanquish knocked it out of the park with this series of wheels
Devlin, just for you I threw on some SLW 725 Hubs on the front, it comes out just a hair under 10.5" outside of tire to outside of tire.

I agree with you, Vanquish really did outdo themselves for sure. But I know we will be impressed by them again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Good write up. The VP wheel looks amazing. I just hope they make some in 1.9 or 1.55.
I hope we get to see a 1.9 and 1.55 version as well.

Quote:
There is so much going on in your write up that it's no wonder everyone over looked something very important in the foam picture. Can anyone tell me what is missing on the 5.5 tall Double Deuce Nova Foams?
The glue?
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIFE View Post
Dude those wheels are so sick.......LOVE BLACK ON BLACK........

I know the Interco IROK works on 1:1 like a "champ"

Obviously the Pitbull has some great features/lugz and if it's sticky like everyone says it might perform better than a HB Rover????????
Im excited to find out!

Now who to talk to about sponsoring my ride at our first comp?????

Someone needs to do a giveaway!
You want a sponsor for your first comp?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #25
I joined the Band!

Quote:
I hope we get to see a 1.9 and 1.55 version as well.
1.9's are on the way in 2 to 3 weeks, actually they're already done we are just finishing the plastic retainer rings, 1.55 is not even on our radar.

Last edited by tom@vp; 06-09-2010 at 02:36 PM.
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@vp View Post
1.9's are on the way in 2 to 3 weeks, actually they're already done we are just finishing the plastic retainer rings, 1.55 is not even on our radar.
Oops, misunderstood. I thought Eddie was talking about the tires. I knew the 1.9s were here soon, I actually have them in my cart ready to preorder as well. Thanks for catching that Tom!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #27
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Well I received my Pitbulls this week and will be testing them this weekend at the Texas State Finals. I will do a full review next week. In the mean time, concerning foams for these tires, I am currently stumped.

The 5.5 tall, 2.00 wide Double Deuce Nova Foams are too tall for this tire in my opinion when mounted on a 1 inch wide rim. Yes, the foam makes the tire taller but it crowns the tire which hurts forward bite. The other problem is how wide this tire is. I have never seen a 2.2 tire this wide. It's massive. It's so wide that it's going to be tough to find a foam that will correctly fill the tire. The 5.5 tall DD NF foam will fill the tire 95%, but since the tire is soo wide, filling the very edges of the corner is not happening. This tire is truly a 5.25 tall tire so over stuffing it with a 5.5 tall foam is going to hurt performance and make the tire bouncy. I suppose you could channel the face of the inner foam to combat that and it is an option.

I have also tried a 5.25 tall Double Deuce Nova Foam. I am using a 5.5 tall inner foam, trimmed to 2.00 wide with a 5.0 tall outer foam (full size) over it. Again, this is mounted on a 1 inch wide Vanquish Products bead lock wheel. The tire feels much better with the 5.25 Nova foam. The forward bite is improved. The contact patch is nice and flat. But... it is only filling the tire 80% or so. The corners of the tire are missing foam because the tire is so wide and the square side wall edge is cast into the mold. The tire is also shorter in height.

I honestly don't have a confident recommendation at the moment for these tires. I truly think the 5.25 foam is the better option, but the fact that it doesn't fully fill the width of the tire is something I do not like. The tire is so wide, that on my 2.2 competition Rock Show berg, I had to change the VP hexes from 335's to 600's to keep the tire out of the shocks when turning. It is an extremely wide tire. I honestly think it's going to take a custom 3 inch wide outer foam to properly fill the entire tire because it's that wide. 1.35 wide wheels might help, maybe.

On the positive side;
The rubber the tire is made from feels amazing and the scale detail in the tire is second to none. You can actually see why the tire costs so much because the mold must have been expensive due to all the intricate detail. Again, the scale detail of the tire is amazing. Look for a full review next week.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #28
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@vp View Post
I am very excited to purchase some 1.9's. Great work VP. Top quality products as always.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well I received my Pitbulls this week and will be testing them this weekend at the Texas State Finals. I will do a full review next week. In the mean time, concerning foams for these tires, I am currently stumped.

The 5.5 tall, 2.00 wide Double Deuce Nova Foams are too tall for this tire in my opinion when mounted on a 1 inch wide rim. Yes, the foam makes the tire taller but it crowns the tire which hurts forward bite. The other problem is how wide this tire is. I have never seen a 2.2 tire this wide. It's massive. It's so wide that it's going to be tough to find a foam that will correctly fill the tire. The 5.5 tall DD NF foam will fill the tire 95%, but since the tire is soo wide, filling the very edges of the corner is not happening. This tire is truly a 5.25 tall tire so over stuffing it with a 5.5 tall foam is going to hurt performance and make the tire bouncy. I suppose you could channel the face of the inner foam to combat that and it is an option.

I have also tried a 5.25 tall Double Deuce Nova Foam. I am using a 5.5 tall inner foam, trimmed to 2.00 wide with a 5.0 tall outer foam (full size) over it. Again, this is mounted on a 1 inch wide Vanquish Products bead lock wheel. The tire feels much better with the 5.25 Nova foam. The forward bite is improved. The contact patch is nice and flat. But... it is only filling the tire 80% or so. The corners of the tire are missing foam because the tire is so wide and the square side wall edge is cast into the mold. The tire is also shorter in height.

I honestly don't have a confident recommendation at the moment for these tires. I truly think the 5.25 foam is the better option, but the fact that it doesn't fully fill the width of the tire is something I do not like. The tire is so wide, that on my 2.2 competition Rock Show berg, I had to change the VP hexes from 335's to 600's to keep the tire out of the shocks when turning. It is an extremely wide tire. I honestly think it's going to take a custom 3 inch wide outer foam to properly fill the entire tire because it's that wide. 1.35 wide wheels might help, maybe.

On the positive side;
The rubber the tire is made from feels amazing and the scale detail in the tire is second to none. You can actually see why the tire costs so much because the mold must have been expensive due to all the intricate detail. Again, the scale detail of the tire is amazing. Look for a full review next week.
I too thought there was a little too much crown on the tire, looking forward to hearing what you come up with
Old 06-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Scott
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #31
RCC Addict

On my way to test these sticky tires and SICK wheels.....FINALLY!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Went out yesterday and got some time on these tires. All I have to say is wow! They work awesome. I am going to throw them on my comp truck and try them out. They were taking my honcho where I never thought it would go! The Nova 5.5" DD's worked well on the scale truck, but when I throw the tires to the comp truck, I will definitely use Eddie's suggestion and try the 5" outers with the 5.5" inners. Anyways pictures....

Time for inner fender wells!

Last edited by jeeper_05; 06-16-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #33
RCC Addict

I LOVE those wheels ! How would you compare the Rock Beasts to the Carvers Scott? Fender wells for sure,Coolwhip bowls fit the body nicely.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #34
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
How would you compare the Rock Beasts to the Carvers Scott?
I'm not Scott but I can say that there is no comparison in performance between a Losi Rock Carver and the Pitbull Rock Beast. Hands down the Pitbull Rock Beast is a much better tire than the Losi copied Rock Carver.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm not Scott but I can say that there is no comparison in performance between a Losi Rock Carver and the Pitbull Rock Beast. Hands down the Pitbull Rock Beast is a much better tire than the Losi copied Rock Carver.
That's what I wanted to hear ! I was never too impressed with the Carvers on any terrain.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Thanks Dave, like Eddie said, the carvers hold no candle to these tires. You need some!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

action shots look killer,,,
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks Dave, like Eddie said, the carvers hold no candle to these tires. You need some!
I see a set in my future but I'll hold out for the 1.9's.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #39
~THE SCALE SHOP~

WOW the details in those wheels is incredible. i cant imagine the machine time. very impressive
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
I see a set in my future but I'll hold out for the 1.9's.
Good call Dave, I can't wait to see the 1.9s...You need to come out on Tuesday afternoons sometime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
WOW the details in those wheels is incredible. i cant imagine the machine time. very impressive
Really, they are pretty inexpensive wheels when you take into account the time they have on the machine... The details are even better in person!