Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Robras! 5 7/8 tall cut n shut tires by Crawler Innovations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

I'm not saying that im a capable driver but i will have these on at my next local comp sunday 7-25 so I will take pics and give a full report then. Thanks again Eddie. So far I love these tires.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Oh and yes the white compound is super super soft.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #23
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I have been running these tires some more over the last several days. I really like them. They are a lot of fun because they are definitely capable and the tall height makes them do some incredible break overs and ledges. The tires are really starting to break in now and so are the foams. I'm not sure the triple stage foam is as good in the front now that they are breaking in. I am also noticing some slight tire fold on side hills in the front tires.

They definitely need more drive time and tuning. I am thinking of removing the medium tuning ring in the front and swapping in a firm tuning ring. I am also thinking about adding a 5.5 tall tuning disc to control side hilling better in the front. The rear foam set up seems perfect and the red dot compound in the rear is holding up very well. The white dot fronts show wear after every battery pack.

I have not changed the truck at all and the ride height is crazy high. If I lowered it, the side hill would probably be perfect, but I want to test the tires the way the truck is normally set up for competition with 2.2 rovers. Right now we have 4 inches of belly clearance at it's highest point which is just ridiculous. So I realize a lower ride height will improve side hill. But considering how well it side hills at this ridiculous height says a lot about the T1E chassis design and the tire and foam combo.

The tires have crazy forward bite. You have to be ready because if they get traction, hold on! They definitely grab and go. These tires really fit my driving style of constant motion steady slower paced crawling. They are a slow crawl tire to me. They would probably work for a fast paced wheel speed style of crawling, but you better be committed to your line selection because they grab and go. I don't think clocking the pattern would make the tires better.

I am using the tires with four slugs in each front VP DH wheel now instead of six and they work just as good. So I like the idea of less weight with the same performance. As I already stated, the ledge climbs the tall height allows you make is just stupid. I really need to take some videos. The gaps the tall tire fills and allows you to drive over is just silly. They are really a fun tire to play with.

It's going to be a while until they make it into a competition for me since our season is over and won't begin until Sept or Oct. I also will not be competing in 2.2 at Nationals. Some of the Team Drivers have expressed an interest in these so we will get some more opinions on them soon and hopefully into some 2.2 competitions to see how they stack up against head to head competition.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Ok had my first comp with the 5-7/8'' robras today, and a few days of practice last week. Mind you i'm not the best driver, but these impressed me. Dumb me I forgot my camera this morning when I left but I think some other guys from my club got some pics of my rig. I will post some when i find out..

The good:
The extra height they provided lets you get up some crazy ledges. Forward bite is amazing if the traction is there these tires find it. My rig has some pretty good wheel speed and if you need to bump over something as nova stated hold on and u better hope ur line is right cause its going there!. Side hilling is very surprising, they hook and hold the line way better than my rovers did IMO. I am running nova foams with tuning rings as well so they have great sidewall support. They really go over voids and gaps very well that would for sure make a smaller tire fall into. As nova said the red dot rears are holding up well I have 6 packs through them now and they are a little fuzzy on the edges. The super soft white fronts are noticeably worn more but the edge is still there, lots of fuzz tho. Have found as they wear more they seem to hook better. Only time will tell how long they will last. I do know to prolong life I will switch these out form my rovers to practice.

The bad:
These tires are great for alot of things, but the one situation I have found that the added height hurts is if you dont have a clean line you can hold through a crack or really deep v notch. The extra height when on its side makes these tires hook and move you in the wrong direction worse then a shorter tire does. Also in that situation if you find yourself upside down in that section it is very difficult to right the rig again. This is the only down side I have found thus far, and it has only happend to me twice. If I was a better driver probably wouldn't happen at all..

Over all These perform great and I wouldn't switch back. They really change center of gravity but that can be adjusted. Driving wise. Its a whole new learning curve for me atleast.

Thanks Eddie for such a great tire. I'm a very satisfied customer
Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #25
RCC Addict

I like the sound of constant slow motion crawling so I've got a few questions. For sidewalls I have either losi comp claws, axial rock lizards, stock CR01 tires or white rovers. Which would 'work' best in your opinion? I'm thinking a bit harder sidewall might be a good thing? Second question soft or super soft? I would like some life to make it worthwhile.

Thanks
Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

i would say claw sidewalls and red cobras. if you are looking for the same height do the rovers. my sidewalls are white rovers and they work fine.

the red compound still hooks up great. but it is a noticeable wear difference between the white and red cobras. For longer life do the reds.

Last edited by irok22s; 07-26-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok22s View Post
i would say claw sidewalls and red cobras. if you are looking for the same height do the rovers. my sidewalls are white rovers and they work fine.

the red compound still hooks up great. but it is a noticeable wear difference between the white and red cobras. For longer life do the reds.
Thanks

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

How these doing. Any pics from ur comp??
Tklan Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #29
mrG
RCC Addict

those tires look mean! good work.
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I'd like to see some video of these in action.
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Should have some pics tonight.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

ok these are the only pics i got so far.. sorry no action shots next comp in 2 weeks i'll remember my camera

Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

any updates on these tire and how there doin
catpwred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #34
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpwred View Post
any updates on these tire and how there doin
It's been too hot down here in Texas lately and I have not done much more testing with these tires. I am convinced they are a solid performer though. After Nationals, I think we will see more of these tires and some other tires I have been working on. With our local comp season over until October, Nationals, school starting, and other things, I just have not been testing these tires enough. I have a new set already done if someone wants to PM me and buy them.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I have a new set already done if someone wants to PM me and buy them.
pm'd
8-454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

They are holding up great... I will have these at my next local comp on 8-29-10.. I swear i will remember my camera this time....

I also will be running them in the 2.2 LCQ at nationals in sept.

As far as wear goes. I have about 11-15 packs on these now... the fronts are noticeably worn more than the rear. They are getting nice and fuzzy now. Just starting to loose the edge and have lots of stringers of rubber all over. The rears are looking much better the red compound is holding up over time better than the white. The rears still have a crisp edge on them and slight amount of fuzzyness...

I will say that overtime I have noticed that the front tires are developing more grip than when they were new. i have sprayed them with simple green several times tho.. I am just hoping at this point that they do not reach a peak of performance and then just fall on their face.

I am very pleased overall.

On a side note, Eddie I was wondering do you have a memory foam available for the outer tuning ring my foams?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

8-454 if you buy them you will not be disappointed
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

in this pic you can see the start of the fuzzyness I was talking about. keep in mind that this pic is only 2 or 3 packs old
Old 08-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok22s View Post
8-454 if you buy them you will not be disappointed
That's good to hear. I ended up ordering them from him. The reviews that yourself and Eddie have done left me wanting a set for my bully build. I will be sure to post up pictures and my thoughts as well when they get here and I finish my rig.

-Everett
8-454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-454 View Post
That's good to hear. I ended up ordering them from him. The reviews that yourself and Eddie have done left me wanting a set for my bully build. I will be sure to post up pictures and my thoughts as well when they get here and I finish my rig.

-Everett
Sweet. I am very interested to see another persons thoughts on these tires. Eddie and myself are only 2 opinions. Please post ur pics and thoughts here when you get them..

Hope you have as good of luck as I have with them.