Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Willys Jeep Military Tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Willys Jeep Military Tires

Two questions:

1. Has anyone used the stock tires from the hasbro jeeps, and if so, what do you have to say about them. I thought about cutting down the wheel and shaving off some rubber in the tire, as well as adapting a 12mm hex to the inside of the wheel.

2. Has anyone used the rc4wd DUKW 1.9 Military tires on a 1/6 willys build? They are 3/8" smaller in diameter than the GI Joe tires so I figured it might look a little weird. Just curious.

Any pictures would be appreciated, as well.
chugdugdadug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Willys Jeep Military Tires

Early 2000's Hasbro tires are a lot softer than I thought they would be. If you could flip the stock tire inside-out and thin the carcass some, they would probably work halfway decently. They might be decent without any modding, after all the 1:1 version ain't exactly designed to deform around terrain features a whole lot.

The wheels also have a large rib in the center, simply removing this rib will allow the tire to compress. This would be a childs-play mod that would probably yield good results. Installing hexes in the stock wheels is another basic mod that should be pretty easy to accomplish.

I have thought a lot about 1.9 wheels on my 1/6th Jeep, but there are just not any tires available that are tall enough. If you don't use the stock wheels you're probably going to end up using 2.2's...

Last edited by Big Mike; 12-27-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Willys Jeep Military Tires

Yeah, that all makes sense. Too bad they haven't made the DUKW Military tires in 2.2 with some more height as well, maybe some day... As for the stock tires, I think I'm just going to go with those since they look good, and like you say about the 1:1 tires it's very true, they weren't made to wrap around rocks and have immense surface area, and I'm ok with that. The tall and narrow is what I'm going for. I removed the rib on the wheel so far, and got a tire flipped inside out, they are pretty thick so I will end up shaving off some rubber.
chugdugdadug is offline   Reply With Quote

Willys Jeep Military Tires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for 2.2 Scale Military Jeep Wheels neillarson Tires and Wheels 0 11-08-2010 06:35 PM
1/10 WWII military jeep hardbody? STANG KILLA SS General Scale Talk 3 02-06-2010 05:49 AM
Military tires C*H*U*D Tires and Wheels 5 08-03-2009 03:48 PM