Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: New 1.9 IROK tuning and a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New 1.9 IROK tuning and a question

Ive searched with no answers to what Im looking for, My SCX10 is an all stock RTR with RC4WD SR02s as the only mod but I just picked up a new set of 1.9 Iroks and I need some help with foam tuning them. I tried them with the stock foam and they were too stiff so I star cut the foams and it does better but now the sidewalls try to fold over when side hilling but they do hold their bite until the truck tries to flip. Any Suggestions there??? Besides telling me to buy Rock Beast which seem to be the "In" 1.9 right now.... Ive had like 3 people tell me I should have bought them instead so I borrowed a set from a buddy and they are nice tires but they just didnt do it for me...

My next question is, What is the best 1.9 for dirt hill climbs? Its hard dirt but when the tire starts to spin you start digging and it turns to powder. Ive tried to crawl this spot with no success, you need wheel speed to make it to the top but there is only one line Ive been able to pull off with my IROKs, my stock Ripsaws wouldnt even come close on the same line.

Thanks
blackfox93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New 1.9 IROK tuning and a question

try crawler innovations dual stage foams, they did great for me. also with the center lugs, cutting half of each lug off really made a big traction improvement.
joeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Do you have a pic of the way you cut them? I dont really want to cut them right now but I will probably end up doing it eventually.... Ive cut every set of crawler tires Ive ever owned lol

I think Im gonna try the CI foams as well

Last edited by THX_138; 03-28-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

not the best pic.

joeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Sweet! Thanks! Ive been looking at how I would cut them. I think a TN cut would be cool but that would be alot of work
Old 03-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

With regards to foams, I'm currently testing out CI's Lil Novas 4.5 dual stage foams (medium) and the Deuces Wild foams made for the Rock Beasts with my 1.9 Iroks. So far, both are working great but the Deuces do side hill better than the Novas. Just so you know, my rig weighs a little over 8lbs. Anyway, good luck with your search and continue to update this thread.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
kuyawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the Info. Im running Lil Novas now and love them but I tore an IROK Friday on a piece of barbed wire that was hidden in the ground so Im on the tire hunt now. Im thinking of running a 1.9 Baja Claw or a Bogger now. I loved the IROKs for solid rock, creek rock and concrete climbs but they did not work for my usual spot which was gravel piles and dirt hills (soft and hard). Ive got a cousin that owns a body shop and hes got some old school trick he uses to repair rubber so he is gonna try to repair that tire but Im gonna let him keep them for his G6 but if he doesnt like them hes gonna give them back to me. I am keeping my CI foams though to see how they will do in my new tire. Ill have some new tires by Next Week. Got to wait till I get paid Friday to order some so I got to make up my mind by then. Anybody want to Suggest a better tire for me???
Old 03-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

for the loose dirt and gravel remember a larger footprint is a help here. so i would probly shy away from the boggers. however a cut bogger will have a decent forward bite.

i always found my iroks to tend to spin rather than bite. but i never had cut the center lugs. i think this is there problem. center lugs are too close. i would suggesting removing even more than the pics above. id always wanted to remove every other center lug completely.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

if in search for a new tire i sug the new tsl xl im sure the foam s you have should work they do great in loose dirt for me and we had a lot of nice hill climbs here in the nw im running pitbull madbeast now and always ran rock beast and proline tsl...
zion23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion23 View Post
if in search for a new tire i sug the new tsl xl im sure the foam s you have should work they do great in loose dirt for me and we had a lot of nice hill climbs here in the nw im running pitbull madbeast now and always ran rock beast and proline tsl...
haha thats funny I ordered a set yesterday lol Thanks for the Info though Im hoping they work out for me
Old 04-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hi blackfox93

would you be able to give some feedback on the Tsl's you bought?

.....assuming that is the one you bought!
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote

New 1.9 IROK tuning and a question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ifs wraith from irok question mtgrizzlymn Axial Wraith 14 11-20-2012 12:50 PM
Foam tuning? 0lllllll0 Tires and Wheels 7 12-28-2010 10:26 PM
Tuning Help Please! alexchen86 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 35 10-25-2010 09:50 AM
PC Tuning Adapter binaryterror Electronics 2 03-07-2009 05:38 PM