Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: TOTALLY frustrated trying to mount the new swampers, so i cut the foam!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #1

Default TOTALLY frustrated trying to mount the new swampers, so i cut the foam!!!

So after pulling my hair out for almost a entire day of trying to mount the new 2.2 5.75 TSL/SX Swampers to the new Axial bead locks i purchaced for my kid for X Mass, I CUT THE DA* FOAM down.

So for the bigger more dense foam i removed 3/4 of a inch. I happened to have a roll of duct tape that measured out perfect for removing 3/4 of a inch and it made the perfect circle for me. Then i cut the foam down with a new sawzal blade.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I did not take any pics of the smaller less dense foam, but i found a cottage cheese plastic contaier we had laying around that made another perfect circle to remove only 1/4 inch of foam sense they were smaller.

Since i am running the same exact tire on my 1 to 1 65 L.C. i know these TSL's need about 5-8 pounds of air to see there MAXIMUM potential of traction , so i think the new softer tires are going to work great, and they were EAST PEASY to mount up now took less than 10 minutes per tire

So here is the kids crawler, i have lowered it, all metal gears and dropped the gear ration in the T-case, and just finished bobbing the rear end for him, (another X mass present)

Just a little flex ....

[IMG][/IMG]

as yo can see, when the rig is all flexed out the rear tire is flexing and working like a charm, cant wait for the next G6 recon to see how it works.

[IMG][/IMG]

and as you can see the TSL/SX's are the real deal in the real world also... I cant imagine why my kid wanted these tires for his crawler

[IMG][/IMG]
maddogs1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: TOTALLY frustrated trying to mount the new swampers, so i cut the foam!!!

Sorry you had so much trouble mounting the tires, i have the regular 1.9 on rc4wd five lug wagons and now a set of 2.2 on a set of proline bead locks and didn't have any issues. Truck looks great by the way your gonna love those tires
SuperDutyScaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: TOTALLY frustrated trying to mount the new swampers, so i cut the foam!!!

Your foams are going to be too soft. They will pull themselves into a crack and end up wedged in. You want the outer part soft, but need the inner support. Let me suggest Crawler Innovations next time. His foams are relieved so they are easy to mount, and provide the support your rig will need.

Not shitting on your parade, but I think you are going to have more trouble with them that soft that you anticipate.

Crawler Tires, Crawler Foams, Parts and Accessories by Crawler Innovations

He also has a section down in the vendor area.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
Suck it up!

You just need to learn how to properly mount tires. Here's how I do it...

the SUPER EASY way to mount tires on beadlocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Not shitting on your parade, but I think you are going to have more trouble with them that soft that you anticipate.
Yup.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 01-01-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
You just need to learn how to properly mount tires. Here's how I do it...

the SUPER EASY way to mount tires on beadlocks!

Yup.

I wish I had seen that in the beginning. I remember fighting and fighting with tires.

Now with a better technique, and even better the new foams that are cut around the bead mount, they are easy. I did the RC4WD baja claws on a .7 wheel and it was no issue at all with the cut foams.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Just trimming the square edge off of stock foams can make a world of difference.

The hardest I have come across was Pitbulls packed tight with dual stage CI foams on skinny rims. There wasn't much give in the sidewall, so I had to pay a bit more attention to what I was doing, but they still went on relatively easily. Process is everything.

My first impressions was that they were overstuffed...like a 1:1 running regular on-road air pressure. Actually running the rig on the rocks was a different story though...they worked awesome. Soft, sticky rubber needs more support to let the tread work. Hard, stiff rubber needs less support so that they will conform and grab.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote

TOTALLY frustrated trying to mount the new swampers, so i cut the foam!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need foam help...2.2 proline swampers on a wroncho jtessmer88 Tires and Wheels 1 07-07-2014 03:06 PM
Cut and shaved 2.2 swampers sam63 Tires and Wheels 2 10-19-2012 12:25 PM