Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Best E.Coast mountainous rocky/wet/semi-clay-mud-dirt tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Best E.Coast mountainous rocky/wet/semi-clay-mud-dirt tire

I believe I have run every 1.9 and 2.2 tire worth running and I think I have a good idea of what does best in the 3-4 conditions my area, Chattanooga TN, has to offer. I am wondering what you guys playin on the same East Coast App Mtn type terrain in NC, PA, TN, N GA, WV, AL, KY etc are running at comps and overall what tires you think are best. I run my SCX10.2's, Bombers, and Wraith on terrain that does not consist of rocks the whole time. Most of the challenging climbs will have one tire on a rock and one in the dirt/mud and the stuff I have the most fun on looks very similar to what you see in the Southern Rock Racing videos. Errrr, Im trying to say Im not always running on rocks and to get to my point:
-at 1st comp this Saturday Ill most likely run hyrax with 4.5" CI comp cut center soft outer on my light 10.2 and heavy 10.2 ill run Dual stage PL foams(considering TSL XL's if wet)
-I used to think my PB RB XL's were comparable to hyrax but not anymore
-Top 3ire choices in order Hyrax, TSL's, PB RB XL, and if its very dry any BFG
-does anyone else agree KLRs don't work on our terrain? I have like new silvers $45 pm me. tried with 3 foams and couldn't get them to perform.

sorry for grammar and everything else wrong with this post. Before this I wrote 2 nice posts I was proud of but they did not go thru.
geauxktm, is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Best E.Coast mountainous rocky/wet/semi-clay-mud-dirt tire

I haven't gotten to test all my tires again but it seemed from my muddy hill climb experience, wheel speed mattered just as much as tread design. I couldn't hardly make my one hill until I went brushless in the Wraith, after that it was way easier. I was running plain U4s at the time though, didn't even cut them yet. Without the wheel speed, the mud just wads up and adds weight to each tire. I also like the RC4WD Mud Slinger XLs so far, they're the only other tire I've tried hill climbs with so far. In this pic, I made the hill but it was tough, I was still brushed at the time on a 35T on 3S, as you can see the mud is stacked up.

Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The secret to KLRs in mud and rock is light rig, no foams, and lots of wheel speed. On a light rig with no foams, the sidewall is enough to support vehicle weight and give you great conform to rocks without sacrificing too much sidehilling stability. Wheel speed and mud are the other factor.
I'm still breaking in my Rock Beasts as I haven't run them much during the winter indoor series.
I've seen Hyrax do incredible things, but don't own a set. They're not terribly scale looking either, which is a sticking point for me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy84 View Post
The secret to KLRs in mud and rock is light rig, no foams, and lots of wheel speed. On a light rig with no foams, the sidewall is enough to support vehicle weight and give you great conform to rocks without sacrificing too much sidehilling stability. Wheel speed and mud are the other factor.
I'm still breaking in my Rock Beasts as I haven't run them much during the winter indoor series.
I've seen Hyrax do incredible things, but don't own a set. They're not terribly scale looking either, which is a sticking point for me.

How light are we talking? I don't see how the 2.2 KLRs could support a Wraith, maybe the 1.9 KLRs could support a <4.5 lb rig, but I'd have to see a pic of the sidehill to believe it with no foam.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I haven't gotten to test all my tires again but it seemed from my muddy hill climb experience, wheel speed mattered just as much as tread design. I couldn't hardly make my one hill until I went brushless in the Wraith, after that it was way easier. I was running plain U4s at the time though, didn't even cut them yet. Without the wheel speed, the mud just wads up and adds weight to each tire. I also like the RC4WD Mud Slinger XLs so far, they're the only other tire I've tried hill climbs with so far. In this pic, I made the hill but it was tough, I was still brushed at the time on a 35T on 3S, as you can see the mud is stacked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy84 View Post

Yeah I hear ya'll on wheelspeed. I don't even like fast stuff, well rc wise, but I had the most rc fun ive ever had with my rock rey yesterday. That thing hooks up so good while stay planted without fliiping or rolling like nothing ive ever seen. That thing is sick and I don't use that word. It was jumping unapproachable lines for any other rig and itd land 6 and 10 feet higher up then it would keep climbing steeper stuff that's impossible to walk up. It went at least 75 feet higher on a hill than ive ever been and trust me this hurts to say because I have over 3 grand in bombers. Ive made it sound like this is about climbing hills but really both of your responses appreciated and helped me realize a few things.

Im not dialed in and need to quit swapping bodies, bumpers, etc and stick with a setup, figure out the weight and get to testing foams and suspension. Everything will change once curies get here in a day or 2. As far as explaining terrain/conditions I guess I shouldn't say mud and say theres definitely no dust being thrown up. Im not sure how serious ill get into the comp thing but Im glad ill be checking one out this weekend. I am sure Ill be able to learn a lot as well so that will be cool.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Well the first time I comped my Wraith vs. what my Wraith would do in a comp now is hardly comparable. My advice would just to be to pick a setup and stick to it until the comp is over. You'll get to see everyone elses setups and get some ideas possibly, but just go with the intent of meeting new people to crawl with first and foremost and deal with the performance later.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Oh yeah, mud can be anything from soup to damp dirt in my location as well. Sometimes there is a cow pie mixed in for good measure, lol.

Oh, and rig weight around 6-7lbs. Use small batteries and a different interior for some weight savings. The Voodoo team driver in our group swears by it and regularly is on the podium, even in regional and national events. I made the switch and am amazed.

Last edited by Jeepy84; 03-20-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I have found rc4wd iroks work well for me on both my scx10.2 and my bomber. I also had good luck with tsls cutting the center lugs up. A lot of guys I run with love the rc4wd baja MTZ, but I couldn't get them to work. I also run on mud,clay, and rock. Worst tire I've seen in my area was a KLR, loaded up with mud easily and didn't clean out very well. I think the huge downfall for working in our area is the KLR does not have oversized shoulder lugs to provide forward bite in the mud.

I do work with pretty high wheel speed though, so it's rather easy for me to clean my tires out
cinnabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #9

Voodoo KLRs are stiff and also kinda hard. I haven't run mine yet because they just never seemed great on the bench. One day.

I prefer ProLine TSL Super Swampers or Pit Bull Rock Beasts.

I also have to try my Hyrax that I have sitting here.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Yesterday the less modified 10.2 pulled some lines I haven't been able to make and on my lil test areas it was getting the traction ive been looking for . I swapped the PL dual stage foams for 4.5 ci comp cut soft outer in hyrax tires and I also put some long 100mm king shocks(they do the job ) on but mounted them high using shock mount "relocaters??" evening out and maybe even lowering COG. This helped just as my physics knowledge expected but only thing is I wasnt planning on running this 10.2 to run my other 10.2 with crawlmaster, MMP, new high end servo, front and rear curries with new axles and lockers will be finished tomorrow
Old 03-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The Hyrax, so far the best tire I found for the clay around here.
They stay surprisingly clean and are getting better as they wear.

I also run the same terrain as you described. I use soft CI foams in the rear and medium in front. Thats the opposite of what CI recomoneds but works for me on the rock bouncing hills.

Last edited by donny8594; 03-21-2017 at 05:45 PM.
donny8594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I want to try out/ get the Hyrax, its just that the not-scale appearance is killing it for me. I'm sorry but that is important for me. The Hyrax is fairly new but I've givin PL suggestions before. I think a Hyrax looks similar to a Nitto Mud Grappler 1:1 with its wideness. If they made a 2nd version of the Hyrax and made the spikes turn into more of the Nitto Mud Grplr. lug type, I'd scoop em right up.

Now another thought. The Interco Thornbird. I'm not even sure if they make them anymore..These tires sucked in the real 1:1 world as far as performance but have a really awesome look, I think PL should drop a version of those since they are working with Interco. Scaled down for a 1/10 rc truck, they'd work too good I'm betting with its flat tight lugs..
When I had my first Scx10, the original Axial ripsaws worked great in this slick red clay..

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 03-21-2017 at 07:00 PM.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I have run a bunch of different tires over the years here in PA. Use to love Roc Locs then found Rock Beasts when they first came out. I have been running 1.9 silver KLR with great success on rock, mud and anything else I can throw at it. My rig is a heavy girl at 11lbs. so foams are a must and I have not vented the tire or wheel.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:26 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
I want to try out/ get the Hyrax, its just that the not-scale appearance is killing it for me. I'm sorry but that is important for me. The Hyrax is fairly new but I've givin PL suggestions before. I think a Hyrax looks similar to a Nitto Mud Grappler 1:1 with its wideness. If they made a 2nd version of the Hyrax and made the spikes turn into more of the Nitto Mud Grplr. lug type, I'd scoop em right up.

Now another thought. The Interco Thornbird. I'm not even sure if they make them anymore..These tires sucked in the real 1:1 world as far as performance but have a really awesome look, I think PL should drop a version of those since they are working with Interco. Scaled down for a 1/10 rc truck, they'd work too good I'm betting with its flat tight lugs..
When I had my first Scx10, the original Axial ripsaws worked great in this slick red clay..
If the mud grappler look is what you're looking for, try to find a set of rc4wd outcroppers or the stock tires from the MST CFX-w closely resemble Nitto mud grapplers
cinnabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 AM   #15

The best tires I have found for a lot of crawling conditions,are the Pro Line Hammers in 2.2 ! I run these on my modified SCX10,and haven't found any conditions that they didn't work well in. Now the Bad part of this is,Pro Line has DROPPED them? I can't even think of a reason why in the world they would do that,but they did. I buy up every set I can find,when available.
crawldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawldogg View Post
The best tires I have found for a lot of crawling conditions,are the Pro Line Hammers in 2.2 ! I run these on my modified SCX10,and haven't found any conditions that they didn't work well in. Now the Bad part of this is,Pro Line has DROPPED them? I can't even think of a reason why in the world they would do that,but they did. I buy up every set I can find,when available.
Well they're G8 which is good, but past that the non-scale tread design and 5" height leaves it in "Legacy" land where nobody really cares about them anymore compared to the new stuff. They're big for 1.9s but small for 2.2s. Have you considered the Pro-Line Chisel?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:26 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

proline is rumored to be consudering a 6 plus inch bogger in 2.2, be awesome on a rock rey, plus big boggers rock in the Tennessee hills in 1:1, the only thing holding them back in 1:1 is the compound which isnt a issue for rc cause it'll get the g8 treatment for sure

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
snowman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Duratrax Showdowns, & then ask why all the others tires cost so much & don't work as well... (warning: non scale looking)
One pair of dual stage closed cell inserts for the front tires at least as well.
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I use a roc412 with alien 2.2 growlers. just have to send it.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque87 View Post
I use a roc412 with alien 2.2 growlers. just have to send it.
Like Larry Enticer, just gonna send it! lol

I LOVE my vaterra TSL super swampers. Ci dual stage foams on my ascender and ther love the rocks here on the coast of Maine. Once broken in they literally and on par with my broken in rock beasts with ci rock beast single stage foams.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Best E.Coast mountainous rocky/wet/semi-clay-mud-dirt tire - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirt/Mud Trail tire? Suggestions? Oldskoolcj Tires and Wheels 23 03-25-2013 05:51 PM
2.2 tires for dirt/roots/mud/wet rocks Jus Tires and Wheels 8 08-23-2008 11:49 PM
Best/tallest mud, dirt hill tire EMX5636 Newbie General 10 11-29-2007 05:19 PM
best 2.2 tire for dirt/mud? swamp_rat Tires and Wheels 10 06-27-2006 12:31 PM