Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: MST KM tire opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 11:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default MST KM tire opinions

Interested to know if anyone has used the MST km tire extensively. Comes stock on the CFX and CMX crawlers.

Im interested as I need a 90mm scale looking tire.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: MST KM tire opinions

A friend has been running them on his D90 all summer. Good tire - not a comp compound, but not bad performance-wise. Looks very scale under there.

I've got 2 sets, just haven't had them out yet.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yeah im not looking for amazing. Just something small and scale but not rock hard Chinese crap.

Will run

Old 11-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Not rock hard at all. Feels like a decent compound.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
Oppan Gangnam Style

I've heard they don't work half bad, not super grippy but decent enough. Mine are still in a box so can't say from first hand experience. I'll try and give them a go this weekend to see how they are.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
I've heard they don't work half bad, not super grippy but decent enough. Mine are still in a box so can't say from first hand experience. I'll try and give them a go this weekend to see how they are.
hey Chino, you get them out for a run??
Old 11-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
Oppan Gangnam Style

Just got back from running them (dry conditions only), running a basically bone stock MST CMX. I ran stock foam and 2oz in the front wheels. The terrain ranged from moderately grippy rock to smooth slick rock, dirt and sandstone. At first, I taped up the vent holes and we ran a dry man made creek bed. I thought they did ok, 6-7 out of 10. They definitely didn't lose the slick rocks and struggled with the loose dirt on top of the rock.

Decided to try them vented and was surprised at the loss of performance (5 out of 10). I'm guessing the tight tread pattern was closing up too much when vented. We went back to a few difficult lines I'd run a hundred times before with the same vehicle and struggled on several. Two I couldn't do at all. On the moderately grippy stuff, they worked pretty well but required some wheel spin. With them spinning, they were predictable and didn't produce a ton of wheel hop. Definitely need to adjust your throttle finger with these and know when to gas it and when to let up.

Over all, I'd say they are an OK performer. I wouldn't buy them if I had a choice of other tires but if you get the MST CMX kit and are on a budget, they will do you fine until you can afford a better tire.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Just got back from running them (dry conditions only), running a basically bone stock MST CMX. I ran stock foam and 2oz in the front wheels. The terrain ranged from moderately grippy rock to smooth slick rock, dirt and sandstone. At first, I taped up the vent holes and we ran a dry man made creek bed. I thought they did ok, 6-7 out of 10. They definitely didn't lose the slick rocks and struggled with the loose dirt on top of the rock.

Decided to try them vented and was surprised at the loss of performance (5 out of 10). I'm guessing the tight tread pattern was closing up too much when vented. We went back to a few difficult lines I'd run a hundred times before with the same vehicle and struggled on several. Two I couldn't do at all. On the moderately grippy stuff, they worked pretty well but required some wheel spin. With them spinning, they were predictable and didn't produce a ton of wheel hop. Definitely need to adjust your throttle finger with these and know when to gas it and when to let up.

Over all, I'd say they are an OK performer. I wouldn't buy them if I had a choice of other tires but if you get the MST CMX kit and are on a budget, they will do you fine until you can afford a better tire.
Thanks very much man. Very in depth and informative!!!

Are the tires you used the 30° or 40° compound?

I am doing a budget Losi mini crawler based, scale chassis using a Tamiya Midnight pumpkin body build and the wheel arches are very small. So the 90mm KM is the smallest 1.9 I could find. Ideally I would do a legit 1.55 setup but cost would more than the whole build is setting me back.

Will grab a set asap.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmo View Post
Thanks very much man. Very in depth and informative!!!

Are the tires you used the 30° or 40° compound?

I am doing a budget Losi mini crawler based, scale chassis using a Tamiya Midnight pumpkin body build and the wheel arches are very small. So the 90mm KM is the smallest 1.9 I could find. Ideally I would do a legit 1.55 setup but cost would more than the whole build is setting me back.

Will grab a set asap.

Didn't realize there were different compounds, I've got whatever came in the kit.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:51 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Hi,

I know this topic is old, but I need some details on these little MST tires: Is anybody tried the soft version of them, and compared it with the medium version, included in the CMX and CFX kits ?
CyberFox is offline   Reply With Quote

MST KM tire opinions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire opinions dcfox Tires and Wheels 20 04-03-2017 12:31 AM
Opinions on tire Rcdood Tires and Wheels 3 02-20-2016 03:19 PM
New tire opinions??? Dgrouchy Axial SCX-10 22 05-20-2013 02:55 PM
1.9 tire opinions bucks86ta Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 9 01-13-2011 01:28 PM