Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tamiya BFG's... need info.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Tamiya BFG's... need info.

Ok so i know these are not a very capable tire (compared to PB's, PL, etc.), but i am willing to sacrifice some ability for scale here.

i am wondering what is the OD of the Tamiya BFG tires, specifically these

also, what foams would work? i found them on Tamiya's website and same everywhere else, foams are not included.

its between these and RC4WD dirt grabbers, but the Tamiyas are considerably cheaper.

oh and if it helps they are getting wrapped around the new traxxas bronco wheels.

suggestions?
HALP?
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tamiya BFG's... need info.

Just go out to your yard, find a suitable size tree branch, and whittle some tires. I guarantee they will be softer and perform better than those Tamiya tires.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

yikes... not what i wanted to hear lol

*not even after a tub of simple green for a few days?

**after looking, no simple green just releases the mold yuck for a better bond for non-beadlock use (also helpful in this situation).
i do see WD-40 could possibly soften (and potentially ruin) the tires a bit.
hmmmm....

Last edited by Shinchu; 04-13-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

There are no foams with the Tamiya tires because they're so stiff they don't need them. They're a tire that's mainly for looks and maybe long wear on pavement. The Dirt Grabbers are a much better tire. The 1.9 Dirt Grabbers are also a bit larger.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

ok so the dirt grabbers have more sidewall. thanks! good call on no foams too. i was thinking the same thing. (i remember my blackfoot not having foams, makes sense)

does anyone have OD measurements on the Tamiya? at $10/pair, i might mount them up just for shelf warming duty when I'm not driving it. maybe.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I keep hearing how ridiculously capable the TRX-4 is, so if these tires are rock hard they could be a fun upgrade for a more scale (less capable) driving experience. Just a thought.

If nothing else, I'd at least be interested to see what they look like on the Bronco.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
ok so the dirt grabbers have more sidewall. thanks! good call on no foams too. i was thinking the same thing. (i remember my blackfoot not having foams, makes sense)

does anyone have OD measurements on the Tamiya? at $10/pair, i might mount them up just for shelf warming duty when I'm not driving it. maybe.
My cousin had a TA02 F150 long ago which is where those tires come from, I remember them being pretty small. I saw a ebay listing that said 86mm (about 3.4 inches) which seems about right.

As for the dirt grabbers, check the for sale section and ebay. They are the included tires on the Gelande II so they get sold as takeoffs frequently. There is a set of 4 on ebay for about $36 right now.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #8

The CC-01, I believe, was designed to be an on-road vehicle way back when. As such, the tires are harder than anything you'd want off-road. I'd happily sell you some if you'd like, but you'd probably be disappointed. The rubber is about as hard as a big dog's chew toy.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
RCC Addict

3.47" unmounted. They came with my Pajero, never used them.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I actually enjoy using these on some of my trail trucks....especially the MST CFX and even my TF2 2-speed. The scale look is great and less traction offers a "fun" factor that the super soft sticky tires do not. Rock crawling forget about it....but for a trail runner they can be enjoyable for sure and look great with the Tamiya F-350 wheels which are only like $8 a set.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUMB View Post
I actually enjoy using these on some of my trail trucks....especially the MST CFX and even my TF2 2-speed. The scale look is great and less traction offers a "fun" factor that the super soft sticky tires do not. Rock crawling forget about it....but for a trail runner they can be enjoyable for sure and look great with the Tamiya F-350 wheels which are only like $8 a set.
There's something to be said for creating limitations and then working with them... can be loads of entertainment!

I once ran a Tamiya M03 Mini FWD chassis with HPI "Super" slicks (low-profile onroad tires) on 2.2" HPI Super wheels - had a cut-down HPI New Beetle body on it (most of the fenders cut away, like a modern Baja Bug) around a groomed offroad track, jumps and all - even with friction shocks it dealt with it surprisingly well... causing hilarity all over the place...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
There's something to be said for creating limitations and then working with them... can be loads of entertainment!

I once ran a Tamiya M03 Mini FWD chassis with HPI "Super" slicks (low-profile onroad tires) on 2.2" HPI Super wheels - had a cut-down HPI New Beetle body on it (most of the fenders cut away, like a modern Baja Bug) around a groomed offroad track, jumps and all - even with friction shocks it dealt with it surprisingly well... causing hilarity all over the place...
That's awesome!! I have a soft spot for baja bugs.
The Tamiya Lunchbox offers hilarity for me....bumbles around and never know what its going to do
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Here they are mounted up and beside a PBX A/T on axial 1.9's. They are very short and hard, lol.

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

Pick of truck they are on:

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

HTH.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #14
~THE SCALE SHOP~

3.5"
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

There fun with big power on pavement like a drift tire i have a 2a02 that came with those tires
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

how hard would it be to copy this tire in a softer compound? not like, in my garage lol but uh, "another company"? like any of the other dozens that do this from a formerly communist country? i don't condone KO stuff but until Tamiya gets their act together and brings something to the table in the crawler community... (besides some pretty awesome hard bodies)
Old 04-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I picked up a set of the chineese copys there 3"3/4 ish and came glued to rims already the rim snapped so i mounted them on my ta02 rims and use them on my brat ive also used them on my ranger build and there ok not great but not.bad ether i also used them on my short course truck for a while so there stuffed with hard foams for the sct but even the brat built as a trail truck is fast enuff and heavy enuff that i just left the foams

Last edited by ferp420; 04-19-2018 at 02:37 PM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

yeah i would be interested in that, thanks. you know where i could get a set?

waitaminute...

this whole time... are these the RC4WD version of the same tire?!

https://store.rc4wd.com/Mud-Thrasher...res_p_220.html

sidewall lugs are a little more aggressive (Tamiya doesn't even have those?) but this is so close... for some reason the tamiyas really look more like what was on my pop's 1:1 ford.

aaaaand looking around even more, i found these grip doctors from SDI...
http://www.sdi4x4.com/index.php?id_p...duct&id_lang=1

even MORE aggressive sidewall lugs. the scale/size is better, but... just looks a little too aggressive. maybe i should just stick to 1.55 lol

Last edited by Shinchu; 04-19-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Here are some Thrashers in 1.55. They work pretty decently, not the softest compound, but definitely not the worst. They're fine for my application, others may vary.

canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:05 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Chris, is it the White Letters you're looking for? I know I would if I was making a 70's or 80's period correct Rig. I'm actually surprised that NOBODY else but Tamiya makes White Letter Tires, and they're so small and ridiculously hard!! (That's what she said!! LOL)
SOMEONE'S got to make some. I've got a LOT of time on my hands.... I'll see if I can find any.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tamiya BFG's... need info. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya BFG's skullking Tires and Wheels 0 07-12-2010 07:52 PM