Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Beadlock inner ring too small for tire bead (suggestions?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Beadlock inner ring too small for tire bead (suggestions?)

Well I feel like a bit of a fool, shaving .5mm off the inner ring's side (what I was calling the depth) allowed me to get one tire mounted. I was first able to mount one tire poorly where it forced the bead out but it hung on to the thinnest part of the bead still which indicated to me they are too wide to accommodate the bead side to side (as well as up and down).

So while taking off the .5mm did allow me to get the tire mounted it was still a major operation just getting the tire to squeeze into place. Theres no extra room so when its seated between the ring and wheel body the rubber wont slide it just grips and wants to roll. So i wet down the beads to get them to slide a bit pushed them together and gave it some time for the water to dissipate before tightening the wheel down as I think the water would just pop the bead at that point.

you can see how tight the fit is here, it cant just be slid on it needs to be forced.

It took maybe 45 minutes to get to the point where I start to put the screws in.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-03-2018 at 10:35 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Buy boomracing terra...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

I was thinking bout the new pipe for inner ring option and came up with this 43mm is 1.693 inch and if you convert that to fractions using this handy chart. You end up .02 mm or so bigger then 1-11/16" advanced auto parts has a walker exhaust adapter/connector in that size for $3.99 if it really needed the .02mm you could expand it with the tool. But i doubt you would have to or you could just ca the ring to the tire and hope the foams are good but i wouldn't

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
bent_hinge_pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin View Post
How about if you take some material out of the outer rim inside ....say mount the two halfs together with out the ring. Put a stub with hex into the drill or on to the axle if the rc using the ie turning the wheel via drill/ rc drive train into a make shift lathe.......to take some material from the outer portions of the wheel to make room for the bead.
Drill press, low speed and a file works best ime.

Or return them and buy better wheels, too bad they look so nice.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Buy boomracing terra...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
NO! but I did check them out, I already have a few sets of "holy wheels" lol

I already have a go to for easy to mount wheels (SSD) and this purchase was based off not wanting to deal with the finicky, expensive and poorly designed RC4WD Cruiser wheels (which now that I look back at them I dont like as much and I thought there was a hub cap of sorts available for it) and I set my self up to struggle with another finicky wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Or return them and buy better wheels, too bad they look so nice.
Yeah I love the way they look on the FJ40 and I'm pretty committed to them, I modded my SSD front and rear axle weights just to fit these wheels so...... I NEED to make it work now

EDIT: heres a shot of the single mounted wheel, it might be a bit too shiny

EDIT 2: I've been working on this off and on today and now I have 2 wheels mounted, ha ha! For this last one I turned the tire inside out, put the inner ring in place an then put the larger half of the wheel in place with the help of some water, put the foam around it and then turned the tire out side in (?) not much easier but at least I can observe the bead while I do it.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-03-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Okay I got the last 2 wheels mounted using the method where I turned the tire inside out to get things seated. I pray that I never have to take these tires off again. I still haven't gotten a response from BoomRacing.

Next step is to weather these a bit to match the Land Cruiser body

Old 08-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

They don’t look out of place I’m
Sure if your going for the ratted out look then a few scuffs from sandpaper will promote the rust and look like they are factory fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Okay I got the last 2 wheels mounted using the method where I turned the tire inside out to get things seated. I pray that I never have to take these tires off again. I still haven't gotten a response from BoomRacing.

Next step is to weather these a bit to match the Land Cruiser body

That looks like it was worth all the hard work. Thats one sexy fj

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
bent_hinge_pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #29

I know I'm way late to the party, but I have recently purchased a set of these rims for my TF2 Mojave kit. I love the look. I had the same issue with the internal beadlock rings being too small in diameter. After fighting the first wheel for over 30mins, I decided to try and swap in the internal rings that came in the kit with the stamped wagon wheels. The RC4WD rings are perfect in the Boom Racing yota wheels. Mounted up my Pitbull Beserkers no problem and beads are holding nicely. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in to help anyone else that may come across this issue.
RockTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Great that you finally got them mounted! Boom probably won't reply, they've never answered my emails when I had product questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTroll View Post
I know I'm way late to the party, but I have recently purchased a set of these rims for my TF2 Mojave kit. I love the look. I had the same issue with the internal beadlock rings being too small in diameter. After fighting the first wheel for over 30mins, I decided to try and swap in the internal rings that came in the kit with the stamped wagon wheels. The RC4WD rings are perfect in the Boom Racing yota wheels. Mounted up my Pitbull Beserkers no problem and beads are holding nicely. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in to help anyone else that may come across this issue.
Good to know, thanks! Could also use PVC pipe, all types and sizes, years ago peeps were using the black thicker walled stuff and chamfering as needed to fit tires and wheels together.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #31

I had a similar problem mounting my stock Gen8 tires onto a set of chinese wheels. There wasn't really any way to modify the ring so I thinned the bead on the tires using my dremmel and a sanding wheel. I took just enough off so that the bead would tightly fit between the wheel and the ring. This leaves more than enough bead for the tire to properly clamp to any other wheel on earth, but also work with this wheel. It was time consuming, but easy. I just took these wheels & tires back apart last night to replace the foams, and they went right back together.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Beadlock inner ring too small for tire bead (suggestions?) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 1.9" bead lock ring - The Demon Locked Up Locked Up RC 2 10-29-2015 10:46 PM
Bead lock center ring missing lostwolf4u Tires and Wheels 5 01-24-2014 01:40 PM