Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Milestar patagonia M/T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RC4WD Milestar patagonia M/T

Just bought some 4.7 Patagonias. Wish the scale version was closer to 4.0. Will report back.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up *REVIEW* RC4WD Milestar patagonia M/T

Received my Milestar Patagonia tires in size 4.7". Tested in granitic soil/Pine needle organics, and polished granitic river rocks and boulders. In these conditions stock compound tires struggle a bit getting traction. These rocks are the slipperiest I've encountered in UT.

Foams: Ottsix Halo Foams

Test vehicle is a SCX10.1 with a Hobbywing Fusion AXE system.

Prior tire experience includes Ottsix KLR Blue compound, Proline Flatirons and BFG KX in G8 compound, and Axial R35 compound.

TEST
Roots and tree bark: Climbed large roots with ease at least as good as the Prolines.

Rounded River rock and boulders: Drove up dry areas of creek bed over varied sized rocks. Traction was not an issue. Wet tires did not significantly affect performance.

Sandy soils: Tires climbed out of the riverbed up steep embankments tires clawed through steep climbs and was only stopped when roots or significant vertical steps encountered.

Rocky climb with step: We have a tough obstacle climbing a series of uneven rocks to a boulder step. Most rigs are stopped at the step unless set up well. My 10.2 has more success than my 10.1 due to F/R weight distribution from brass knuckles. The 10.1 has made it with the FlatIrons but it can take many tries. The Patagonias Made it on the third try. Once the line was right the tires gripped and the step was climbed without a slip.

Flat polished rock: Many tires just spin on this. The FlatIrons need a bump to climb but do it well. The KXs are similar (G. The RC4WD S3 compound stuck to the rock. Still needed a bump up top to avoid a high center but not the tires fault.

Tree climb: Run up an angled tree. Here I struggled a bit more than the Prolines only because the Patagonias are a tiny bit shorter and my 10.1 has bigger diffs in the way. Nothing against the tire but needed mentioning. All log runs needed more finesse because of the lower clearance.

Overall: I still like both the KX and Flatiron Prolines but the Patagonias are so scale and performed as well or better in most tests. Overall the RC4WD S3 compound seems like a winner and on par with the best out there. Likely better than Proline G8 in all but the hottest of weather. The Patagonias never clogged with wet soil but haven't tried anything thick and goopy. Tires didn't seem to show any wear. I say buy them, they are keepers. Will update when other conditions arise. Winter testing will be fun.

I also liked the Ottsix Halo Foams. The soft outer foam did not creep and they push out the sidewalls for more rim protection and a beefier look. After install you will notice a tire wobble due to uneven foam placement but that seemed to dissipate after a bit of crawling. Also they are completely unaffected by water and tires should drain well. Might be my new favorite.

Last edited by scaled; 09-13-2020 at 03:03 PM.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:42 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I like watching Matt's Off Road Recovery YouTube channel, he uses the 1:1 versions of these on his Cherokee recovery vehicle.

He's worn them nearly bald and keeps them on the truck because he says they work even better now because he does a lot of sand recoveries.

(none of this is relevant but I like RC4WD's new rubber compounds, have Goodyear MT/Rs, Interco Thornbirds, and the new Mickey Thompson Baja Pro X, planning on adding the Patagonias as well.)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Finally tried the 4.19. Those tires did very well and look good. Work great on rocks, gravel and mud.

I had proline km3 and rc4wd wrangler mtr on this rig and the patagonias will stay.

Last edited by GrimmTheTourist; 09-20-2020 at 12:40 PM.
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote