Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Best foams for a lot of creek driving?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2021, 07:58 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Best foams for a lot of creek driving?

turdunkins flipping amazing im gona use that

"what kinda foams are ya runnin" turdunkins

yup turdunkins are the sherbert
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2021, 08:20 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
and now a completely new closed cell foam with variable hole patterns has hit the market
and there perfict for the new alttires and altwheels that just hit the market

Old 07-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Foam is not on its way out. There are different durometer foams being used all the time and now a completely new closed cell foam with variable hole patterns has hit the market so they're both progressive and waterproof. It's not my fault if you don't see the new products or designs because you're still stuck on running turducken tires.
Now that's some funny sh*t, there... Turducken tires?

I'm aware of the A.L.T. foams with variable hole patterns, and I noticed that Boom Racing has recently released a few similar products recently, although they are using silicon foam - and designed for smallish, narrow tires and for heavy rigs - and 100% waterproof, BTW!:

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Now that's some funny sh*t, there... Turducken tires?

I'm aware of the A.L.T. foams with variable hole patterns, and I noticed that Boom Racing has recently released a few similar products recently, although they are using silicon foam - and designed for smallish, narrow tires and for heavy rigs - and 100% waterproof, BTW!:
those are nice not realy foam anymore though looks like they moved on to something better

proline has a realy nice foam alturnitive too but its built in to the tire the honycomb tire i sugested they make them with out the tread to replace the foam on any tire they havent but still this is why im saying foams are on there way out there alot of new stuff outhere but you can make
"turdunkins"
the materials are available now at your locol hobby shop or online 24/7
just sayin

Last edited by ferp420; 07-13-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:17 AM   #25

my 2cent-

most of us like to experiment. if passing a dollar store, stop and spend a dollar on pool noodle. about 4ft of foam material to play with, chop how you want, layer how you want, etc.
wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:23 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

I find C.I. deuces wild/closed cell foams and vented tires work well in water. Just spin the water out afterwards. Don't run a tire inside a tire, if I even understood that right, that's just stupid.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:59 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
I find C.I. deuces wild/closed cell foams and vented tires work well in water. Just spin the water out afterwards. Don't run a tire inside a tire, if I even understood that right, that's just stupid.

I agree with you 100% on all accounts.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:14 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I agree with you 100% on all accounts.

Ditto. Nuff said

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:00 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Anyone ever tried the tiny styrofoam balls inside tires? Not sure how you'd get the final amount in there, but I'd guess you'd only want it filled to 90% or so anyway... would allow the tire to conform but also give support when needed.
OutLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:44 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

dude white trashes turdunkins rock . closed fell foams are great if you like tires like these

thats just stupid
Old 08-01-2021, 07:17 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
dude white trashes turdunkins rock . closed fell foams are great if you like tires like these

thats just stupid
You have to drive awfully slow for that to happen. If you store your rig for a long time, just take the tires off first (bomb!), or let it rest on the skidplate.

tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:43 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutLore View Post
Anyone ever tried the tiny styrofoam balls inside tires? Not sure how you'd get the final amount in there, but I'd guess you'd only want it filled to 90% or so anyway... would allow the tire to conform but also give support when needed.
yes i have
there a pain in the back side to deal with they get everywere and its realy hard to find the sweet spot and if by some miricle you get it right it would take a act of god to get all 4 even or just 2 and if for some reason your tire pops off the bead or you tear a side wall they get everywere

Last edited by ferp420; 08-01-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You have to drive awfully slow for that to happen. If you store your rig for a long time, just take the tires off first (bomb!), or let it rest on the skidplate.

thats great if you have 1 or 2 rigs but i have way to many to worry about how long each rig sits and if the foams are turning to squished doughnuts some rigs i havent ran in years but i still like looking at them and tinkering with them and most of my rigs are 1/8 scale or larger and well over 10lbs some up to 20lbs and there is no foam that can handle that kind of weight and they dont all get driven enuff and no way im spending $60 for something thatz gona be garbage in a few hours of the rig sitting on its wheels

and to be honest i have the worlds best testing grounds and ive tryed over 100 differnt foams and styles and the best performance ive found was the turdunkins

sure they dont work the best for every rig but there the bast option ive found for my rigs

you can live your life inside the box but i dont want to i know how to think for my self and i dont need some dork telling me to stay inside the box
Old 08-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thats great if you have 1 or 2 rigs but i have way to many to worry about how long each rig sits and if the foams are turning to squished doughnuts some rigs i havent ran in years but i still like looking at them and tinkering with them and most of my rigs are 1/8 scale or larger and well over 10lbs some up to 20lbs and there is no foam that can handle that kind of weight and they dont all get driven enuff and no way im spending $60 for something thatz gona be garbage in a few hours of the rig sitting on its wheels

and to be honest i have the worlds best testing grounds and ive tryed over 100 differnt foams and styles and the best performance ive found was the turdunkins

sure they dont work the best for every rig but there the bast option ive found for my rigs

you can live your life inside the box but i dont want to i know how to think for my self and i dont need some dork telling me to stay inside the box
You're missing the point. Nobody cares what you're doing and nobody is telling you to do what they're doing. What is happening is a few of us are simply telling you to stop preaching about your turducken tire setup like it's the next coming of Cthulhu himself. If it works for you then congrats, you've found what you were needing.

My rigs sit on the shelf, on their tires for months on end and in a few minutes any flat spots are gone. No ruined foams in my sub 7 lb fleet of rigs. Funny I have some foams in use longer than a lot of people in this discussion have been in the hobby and they're still kicking ass.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:37 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

the turdunkins are just like the internal bead lock system that the military runs and trail rigs used to run they were big before beadloc wheels came on the scene
the inner suport runs 30 psi all the time the outer tire runs 0 psi even if you put a stick through your side wall the inner tire suports the rig and the traction they made was insane
the problem was there sized for the tire so when you changed tire size you needed to buy new inserts and they needed a second valve stem hole drilled in to the rims but bead lock wheels wernt realy a thing then so it was the best option at the time the military still uses them
Old 08-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You're missing the point. Nobody cares what you're doing and nobody is telling you to do what they're doing. What is happening is a few of us are simply telling you to stop preaching about your turducken tire setup like it's the next coming of Cthulhu himself. If it works for you then congrats, you've found what you were needing.

My rigs sit on the shelf, on their tires for months on end and in a few minutes any flat spots are gone. No ruined foams in my sub 7 lb fleet of rigs. Funny I have some foams in use longer than a lot of people in this discussion have been in the hobby and they're still kicking ass.

when i got in to rc not one rig ever had foams in there tires some of my vintage rigs still dont have foams in them and some rigs do still have foams and dont have any issues like the wpl toys clone hammer a good set of foams cost more than the rig its what 4 lbs no issues with foams
20 lb 1/6 scaler the foams are toast in hours
Old 08-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
the turdunkins are just like the internal bead lock system that the military runs and trail rigs used to run they were big before beadloc wheels came on the scene
the inner suport runs 30 psi all the time the outer tire runs 0 psi even if you put a stick through your side wall the inner tire suports the rig and the traction they made was insane
the problem was there sized for the tire so when you changed tire size you needed to buy new inserts and they needed a second valve stem hole drilled in to the rims but bead lock wheels wernt realy a thing then so it was the best option at the time the military still uses them

Wut? Outside of some custom built setups I've never seen a 1:1 turducken. Yes I've seen them in real life, the inner tire had a tube in it. The military never ran that hillbilly crap.

The hummer went from a thick magnesium insert to a rubber sleeve to hold the beads against the edges of the wheel and that's the system still in use. The closest thing to a beadlocks needing a second valve stem isn't used by the US military that I'm aware of but is available, I have a friend running inner air locks. They're basically a fabric sleeve and an inner tube. Inflate the tube and it is forced to go wide and hold the beads in place. They work fine but are certainly not a run flat option.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

And NASCAR uses inner liners.
I guess I need to go rotate my expensive foams.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:50 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
when i got in to rc not one rig ever had foams in there tires some of my vintage rigs still dont have foams in them and some rigs do still have foams and dont have any issues like the wpl toys clone hammer a good set of foams cost more than the rig its what 4 lbs no issues with foams
20 lb 1/6 scaler the foams are toast in hours

When I got into rc in 1986 race tires had foams in them. It was thin open cell garbage but it was there. The tires were also built far differently back then so the foam wasn't really of much use. It wasn't until the 90's when tire manufacturers started making the tire carcasses thinner and out of more pliable rubber that foams started to matter. Fast forward to the early 2000's and things got real and foams became required for a sub 10 lb rig to work.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:57 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Wut? Outside of some custom built setups I've never seen a 1:1 turducken. Yes I've seen them in real life, the inner tire had a tube in it. The military never ran that hillbilly crap.

The hummer went from a thick magnesium insert to a rubber sleeve to hold the beads against the edges of the wheel and that's the system still in use. The closest thing to a beadlocks needing a second valve stem isn't used by the US military that I'm aware of but is available, I have a friend running inner air locks. They're basically a fabric sleeve and an inner tube. Inflate the tube and it is forced to go wide and hold the beads in place. They work fine but are certainly not a run flat option.
that rubber sleave is inflatable they have to have a way to mount them the only way to do that is.to increese.the size after the tire is mounted
there was a h1 hummer in a fleet i used to maintain so i have first hand knowledge of that sytem

if i walked out of my back door and walk down to the lake bed ill bet i can find atleast 1 truck still running this setup today right now but that would mean i would have to walk down there and im not down for that

Last edited by ferp420; 08-01-2021 at 09:28 AM.