Notices

Thread: JConcepts 1.9 Landmine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2021, 03:25 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default JConcepts 1.9 Landmine

Just finished this up

http://https://www.mojavevalleyrcadv...ndmine-19.html

Last edited by SteveB1; 08-21-2021 at 09:20 AM.
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2021, 03:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: JConcepts 1.9 Landmine

Like.
I just ordered a set for my trx4 sport(ish). Usually I regret not going with the obvious choice (aka something form Proline), hope this time I won't.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post

Excellent review as usual Steve!!!!

Great great write up!

I have CI lil novas in my Landmines. 4.75” comp cuts medium up front and firms in rear, so I was glad to see you use the proline xls.

I’m pleased with my Landmines but it took a bit for them to come into their own. My Prolines in predator compounds were good out of the box.

My rocks are a smooth slippery Granite, so traction is a challenge. Sometimes more than others.

I’d love to have an area(s) like in your write up with the varying terrain.

Again, excellent write up!
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys, I do appreciate it. We are going to try to expand our testing area a bit to bring in a few more rock types. I have a new spot we call Black Velvet; its a MTB trail, but there are some really cool heavily eroded sandstone formations near by. Should bring a new challenge. The southwest is a fabulous place for rock crawling, and once this summer heat passes, we will be really enjoying some long afternoons on the sandstone.

I'm also hunting around for some wet rock to test on, but it may need to be near a man-made water feature. We are so short on water here this summer that most fountains and water features are shut down. That said, we will keep looking. We have a huge pile of 1.9 and 2.2 tires ready for testing, so stay tuned for the next update.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Excellent review as usual Steve!!!!

I’m pleased with my Landmines but it took a bit for them to come into their own. My Prolines in predator compounds were good out of the box.
The hyrax (even the G8s) take little to no time break in. I think this is why they are so popular. You can get a brand new set (esp the predators) take them out of the bag and toss them on your RC and they work, with little to no break in time.

You get them they work right away, if you get a different tires and they don't work well right away and you assume they are not as good.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I feel the break-in / scrub-in period is an interesting and unique trait to each tire, and it's one of the reasons why I test for such a lengthy time frame. For me, the first few sessions with a new tire function as an introduction to the tire's personality, as well as a first look at the relationship between the tire and the foam.

During this time, I tend to hit the same trails and crawling lines ( Badrock Ridge ) that I have run countless times before, allowing time for the tires to break-in and develop their optimal level of traction.

Currently I'm testing an off-brand tire and using this same approach, I was stunned as to how long they are taking to break in. I'm dismayed to the point where I may opt cut the testing short and move them to the Rock Racer pile for track use where tires are quickly eaten up.

Now some might wonder why I don't stick to only premium or top-of-the-line tires, but I have my reasons. I want to see a poor performance through my testing process - more so I wanted to see something fail my basic expectations. The weird part is that I'm trying to move away from any notion of "expectations" and to let the tire do it's thing and then share the information.

Diving further into this rabbit hole, it makes me think of the 1982 movie Blade Runner where Dr. Tyrell challenges the value of a test by first asking to see a failure, but in reality he is really playing to his ego by seeing if his creation can beat the screening test. (If you havn't seen this movie, you really should). There are a lot more layers to this, but this serves the argument for the moment.

I want to see a tire do well just as much as I want to see it perform poorly, if nothing else but to book-end the knowledge and experience of the process. It keeps it interesting for me.

s

JConcepts 1.9 Landmine - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 XL JConcepts Landmines SteveB1 Tires and Wheels 7 06-27-2021 03:30 PM
Jconcepts RoadKing Tires and Wheels 9 12-02-2017 06:47 PM
JConcepts Scorpios ! CKRC Hobbies CKRC Hobbies 0 04-21-2015 05:05 PM
Jconcepts new body trulyoffroad Paint and Body 28 11-02-2009 01:00 PM