Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: dry rot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default dry rot

any other desert dwellers out there who figured out how to keep your tire from dryroting
i seem to be having this problem alot

i have new tires that are cracking and ive got 20+ year old tires that were fine untill last year now there cracking

anyone do anything special to prevent this with tires geting so exspensive i would like to hold on to them for a while
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2021, 06:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: dry rot

Silicone spray. Your first thought on this might be: won't that make the tires slippery? Yes but mostly no. When you first lightly spray them, it'll be slick, but by the next day it'll absorb in and there won't be any adverse traction issues. I'd say at least once a month spray them down, maybe even once a week if your out in the desert sun/ sand daily.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I was just talking about this with my brother. We both have a few rigs in our garages and it seems to effect certain compounds more than others. Proline G8, Axial RTR (possibly R35) compound tires seem the least effected. Proline Predator, Pitbull Komp and J concepts Green compounds seem to suffer much worse.
Rigs that we store inside show little to no signs of rot.

I really dont even see anything until I pull on the bead and right around the bead I can see a grey ring with some slight cracking.

For us sun doesnt seem to be the cause as our rigs are stored in a dark place (no direct sunlight and very little indirect) though I'm sure it doesnt help.

Humidity is super high were we live (90%-99% typically) so I dont know if thats it either considering ferp420 is in the desert

I did dig up this old thread a while back regarding dry rot Tire rot

Hey @Steve g what type of silicone spray do you use? Just a generic lube spray?

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-11-2021 at 06:44 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Bag 'em in Ziplock baggies when not in use.

I sometimes do the Purple Power soak when I get new tires to remove the mold release, and they come out of the soak very sticky - I notice it seems to evaporate if I don't go run them quickly...

But if I bag them, they stay sticky.

I have stopped doing the soak, partly because most new tires are better compounds, and mostly because I have SO MANY DAMN TIRES!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I have experienced this problem with several tires, whether new, or used. There is a set of 1.9 proline boggers on a very rare set of 2.2 Vanquish Products bead locks. They have never been run, only the lugs cut on the tires and pictures taken. They have hung on a tire board in the unconditioned shop for some time now and they have dry rot, badly. I noticed it this year and then inspected other tires and found them to be drying out. The competition crawlers are kept indoors and those tires have no issue. It really shouldn't be surprising considering many of these rc's resemble 1:1, so kinda fitting they would have similar 1:1 problems.
Nova's Ark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:20 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Bag them in a zip lock as durok said. It's not just "dry air" but other stuff in the air like ozone, pollutants, etc.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:58 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I was just talking about this with my brother. We both have a few rigs in our garages and it seems to effect certain compounds more than others. Proline G8, Axial RTR (possibly R35) compound tires seem the least effected. Proline Predator, Pitbull Komp and J concepts Green compounds seem to suffer much worse.
Rigs that we store inside show little to no signs of rot.

I really dont even see anything until I pull on the bead and right around the bead I can see a grey ring with some slight cracking.

For us sun doesnt seem to be the cause as our rigs are stored in a dark place (no direct sunlight and very little indirect) though I'm sure it doesnt help.

Humidity is super high were we live (90%-99% typically) so I dont know if thats it either considering ferp420 is in the desert

I did dig up this old thread a while back regarding dry rot Tire rot

Hey @Steve g what type of silicone spray do you use? Just a generic lube spray?
No, shoulda clarified some. I use CRC mostly, and there's a couple others I like that I can't remember at the time, but personally I stay away from the cheap or generic crap. Think I read something a while back that some silicone sprays (and grease) can have something in it that can harm some rubber compounds, don't remember the name, but I do remember finding the ingredients in several manufacturers of silicone spray, and CRC didn't have it. Actually never found one with it, but only looked into a few major brands. There are some that are pure silicone, its actually food grade believe it or not (not recommended to be spread on your toast, but safe to use in food processing machinery). Might have only been the grease that's 100%. Memory ain't what it was. Long story short: CRC

Old 11-14-2021, 07:16 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

ill try the silicone spray i have other uses for it too so why not ill also try wd40
zip loc bags arent air tight and in my experiance wont stop anything from drying out and i have tires brand new open the sealed bag and dry roted
it sounds like a climate controled storage space is needed lol maybe ill dig a big hole to store my rcs in lol
Old 11-26-2021, 08:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Bag 'em in Ziplock baggies when not in use.

I sometimes do the Purple Power soak when I get new tires to remove the mold release, and they come out of the soak very sticky - I notice it seems to evaporate if I don't go run them quickly...

But if I bag them, they stay sticky.

I have stopped doing the soak, partly because most new tires are better compounds, and mostly because I have SO MANY DAMN TIRES!
100% agree with the Ziplock baggie method. Have been using gallon freezer bags for years, the tires I bag remain sticky while the ones I dont have dried out. Also helps keep them sorted front or rear if your running different foams front to rear.
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:55 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i picked up the crc silicone spray to give it a try i have no faith in ziplock baggies ive lost to many bags of weed from drying out in ziplock baggies to have any illusion of them protecting anything from drying out
i think im gona dig a hole maybe 12 x 15 ft x10ft deep for a more permanint solution
i havent dug a basement in about 10 years so it might be a fun project
but ill try the silicone spray and maybe some wd40 and see if i cant keep some tires around for a while untill the hole is done
Old 11-26-2021, 08:48 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

i think im gona dig a hole maybe 12 x 15 ft x10ft deep for a more permanint solution

A hole...for your tires??

Veterans deserve a whole month too...
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:06 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post

A hole...for your tires??..
wow it took me a second to realize you just a kid from a island in the middle of the ocean but ill explain
cause i dont think you have basements outhere

here on the mainland we have these things we call basements they go under houses there basicly a big hole under ground and people build houses on top of them there extremely comin in the eastern side the the united states especialy the midwest

i am one of the few people who builds basments on the west coast and after the house is built
one of the benafits of being underground out here in the desert is the temature stays way more even cause the tempature of.the dirt.mostly stays the same temp

if i can eliminate the temature swings and controle the enviroment better my tires will last longer or atleast thats what im getting from what these guys are saying

but i also get the benifits of a nice cool room in the summer and a warm room in the winter with vary little power usage and extra storage
not tryin to be a richard but i dont know if you knew what a basement realy is

so ya im gona dig a 12x15 hole in the ground to keep my tires in or i would like to anyway
Old 11-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
so ya im gona dig a 12x15 hole in the ground to keep my tires in or i would like to anyway

Well is it a hole, or is it a basement? One doesn’t necessarily equal the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
wow it took me a second to realize you just a kid from a island in the middle of the ocean but ill explain
cause i dont think you have basements outhere

here on the mainland we have these things we call basements they go under houses there basicly a big hole under ground and people build houses on top of them there extremely comin in the eastern side the the united states especialy the midwest

i am one of the few people who builds basments on the west coast and after the house is built
one of the benafits of being underground out here in the desert is the temature stays way more even cause the tempature of.the dirt.mostly stays the same temp

if i can eliminate the temature swings and controle the enviroment better my tires will last longer or atleast thats what im getting from what these guys are saying

but i also get the benifits of a nice cool room in the summer and a warm room in the winter with vary little power usage and extra storage
not tryin to be a richard but i dont know if you knew what a basement realy is

I know what a basement is lol, I was born and rasied in Tornado Alley. Now i understand why you would do that.

Veterans deserve a whole month too...
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:24 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Another thought, you can buy tire treatment used by racers to soften rubber. This stuff can be purchased from Summit Racing but it is a bit spendy. Silicone is probably a better choice all things considered.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:51 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Another thought, you can buy tire treatment used by racers to soften rubber. This stuff can be purchased from Summit Racing but it is a bit spendy. Silicone is probably a better choice all things considered.
i thought about tire sauce to but thought it might be to much for some of the softer thinner tires

same with wd40 over time it might eat them

also thought about wax based tire shine but that would make them slick for a while and just sits on top and dosent soak in
that might work on a shelf queen or a drift car though
Old 11-28-2021, 09:56 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Great idea.

While it's expensive for 1/1 tires, a 16 oz can will certainly "go a long way" on RC truck tires. Still pricey and the gallon prices, forget it.

For example: Allstar Performance Hot Lap Tire Softener https://www.jegs.com/i/Allstar-Perfo...78107/10002/-1
Undead Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:02 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead Jeeper View Post
Great idea.

While it's expensive for 1/1 tires, a 16 oz can will certainly "go a long way" on RC truck tires. Still pricey and the gallon prices, forget it.

For example: Allstar Performance Hot Lap Tire Softener https://www.jegs.com/i/Allstar-Perfo...78107/10002/-1
That price really isn't bad, if it means saving multiple (or even 1) set of tires.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

2 best products i know of to protect rubber:

One designed for classic car rubber seals and the other for aerospace.

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9148...79547488&psc=1

and 303 protectant

Last edited by MAGNUMB; 12-15-2021 at 01:24 PM.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #20

which 303 product? I use their products, never had any rubber product
alauth56 is offline   Reply With Quote

dry rot - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire rot klampykixx Tires and Wheels 8 10-07-2016 11:31 PM
Dry gearbox Arcright Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 05-08-2011 03:19 PM
dRY sLIPPERS ROCKEDUP RICKY Chit Chat 2 04-04-2011 11:26 AM
Stay dry everyone. SpikeX Tennessee 1 05-16-2010 08:45 AM
Dry goods strykerjoe Scale Accessories 2 05-11-2010 08:07 PM