Notices

Thread: Ideas on building Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2005, 11:07 PM   #21
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
LMFAO at freds' new location

I swear EVERY time he points that camera at anyone's rig, it rolls over!!

Keep working at it NOOb, it takes time to get it right.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2005, 02:21 PM   #22

well it bothers the hell outta me cause i jus have no clue as in where i'm ganna mount the links..... it's nearly imposible with pede A-arms. guys a quick question.... would it affect my pede if i put cvd's? cause then i would be able to make a tube around it and hook the links to that! or I could make my own front and rear gear boxes! SO MANY IDEAS.......... but only one will work.
N00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:06 PM   #23

sry guys i went to homedepot but i only looked at the type of materials they had now i sketched a new plan i'll post later when it's fully developed.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:54 PM   #24

ok here is a pic. of what i got so far, my dad examined it and i told him about the links and xxxxxxxxxxx-long shocks and i showed him a pic. and he says that now i should make the meassurements for the links and go buy the new xxxxxxxxxx-long shocks....... and by the way do you guys know where i can find those savage shocks and springs for a very cheap price cause i'm extremely low on doe unless i use the ones i got but the pede would look really low since the shocks are the stock sizes. (the "87" yall see in the left side is the measurement of the height wich is:2.7187" and the one in the bottom wich u can't see very well is the with of the bottom:2.4062" ..........here is the pic. you guys might wanna click on it to see the numbers better...... although i'm not quite sure about the 150 degree curve i have i jus made an "EDUCATED GUESS" but it should be near accurate or it could be near 1 mile off so don't flame me if i gott it completely wrong.

Last edited by N00b; 06-18-2005 at 10:59 PM. Reason: i felt like it....gatta problem???? lol
Old 06-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #25
2006 2.2 National Champ

Looks like a good start.

I'd move your link mounting holes down lower on the chassis, otherwise the extra material hanging down below the holes/mounts is going to hang up on the rocks.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:02 PM   #26

Talking

ohh ok and seriously it's not bad?????? jesus i'm doing pretty good for a noob..lol but seriously guys if yall think it looks like apiece of shiza jus tell me..... i wont be offended. OH HELL YA AMMA ROCK STTTACKA NOW!!!!.. sry jus got happy cause i don't have that newbie sign.... YEAH!!!!!

Last edited by N00b; 06-18-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #27
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00b
ohh ok and seriously it's not bad?????? jesus i'm doing pretty good for a noob..lol but seriously guys if yall think it looks like apiece of shiza jus tell me..... i wont be offended.

I think it's a good start, the best thing to do now is figure your ride height and wheelbase. Try to keep your upper links flat while the suspension is at full droop.

My link mounting positions on my TXT look similar to yours. One thing I did notice if you're going to use that for your template it's not quite symetrical, your off by 1 square. You may have done it on purpose and it's a good idea if you're going to run longer links in the rear then front, 60/40 link set-up. This will keep your shock angles the same at all 4 corners.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #28

Hey do you guys recomend any link/shocks sizes i'm thinking on going with savage shocks and 6"-8" links ..... i really need help wit this one. i jus need to find the damn savage shocks and springs!!!!! ok about that ratio u gave me 60/40 i don't quite understand....... i'm ok with designing and all but when it comes to ratios and stuff i'm not that good. remeber i'm a noob at rock crawling. uhm i got a link to savage suspension i should only buy 4 right cause i don't need 8?

Last edited by N00b; 06-18-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #29

Angry never get it right!!!!!

Ok.... i measured the angles and the 150 degree angle i wasn't sure about came out to be 126.5 degrees. ok i decided that mt wheel base is going to be 17" and the center chassis clerance is going to be 51/2".... now i ONLY have to see how long the suspension and the links are ganna have to be...SO MUCH WORK!!!!!!! and i'm most defenite ganna have to make an axel steer system wich is really simple to do i hope........ now i'm ganna make a template of the chassis with cardboard to see how it fits in.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:00 PM   #30

ok i got the template ready.....it's pretty crappy but the cardboard was pretty damn thick and i had to do alot of force so the piece is accurate enough jus for me to see where i'm going to mout the links and stuff. ok and now this pic. is how my pede is ganna look like when i finish(the chassis is elevated about 51/2" high) and also something really funny i opened the diffs. and i dint even mean to but when i closed it back up i tried and the thing just would not go oposite ways so i realized that i had locked the diffs. somehow..... ... funny thing is i dint even mean to doit but what the hell got a pain in the a$$ done with..

Last edited by N00b; 06-19-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #31

Yo bender tell me if i'm correct.... upper links mount on top of the tranny and then the lower links mount right on the axels right?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:05 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

An easier way to make cutouts than cardboard is using the paper foam board from hobby lobby/art stores. Its a piece of fine fine styrofoam sandwhiched between two tag board sheets of paper. Just trace the design on to it, and then use an exacto to cut it all out.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:12 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

If you got tubin skills I just made a chassis on paint

TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:05 PM   #34

that tuber looks easy to make i don't have any brazing skills other than brazing wire with sauter but thats about it.. i do still have about 4 mini cans of propane with the torch attachment wich my dad might be able to do but i want to start with a big rig cause i really don't give a sh!t how realistic a tlt might look i jus want a big rig that can crawl.... and i'f been sitting here making these desings and soon amma be going to get the material and today or tomorow i will start building.... and since i only have one tranny i will probably make it FWD for now and when i get the second tranny then i'll have 4WD and i have noticed that most of yall only put one motor????????? wtf is that all about.... i mean i'f seen clods that only have one motor.... sh!t i'm putting two 55t's on mine and is gona kick A$$!...
Old 06-20-2005, 05:46 PM   #35

YESSSS!!! ok i got the materials and a brand new band saw!!!! tomorow amma get started!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:51 PM   #36

Talking

YES!!! i finished the main chassis today tomorow i will do rear and and front mounts and the servo mount if possible.... i will post pics. in a few minutes!!!! although i have to say working with metal specialy when cutting it with a table saw, MAN THE SPARKS THOSE LITTLE THINGS ARE *****ES WHEN UR TRYING TO CONCENTRATE IN CUTTING IN A STRAGHT LINE!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:38 PM   #37

hey guys i had a few probs. but here is the pic....