Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: BRAZING.. What would you like to know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default BRAZING.. What would you like to know.

As in what would you like for a "How to"..

I'm currently working on a "how to make bumpers"

But figured I could make somethig a series.. I'll also be recruiting for assistance from other builders as we all have a unique style and would like to present as much of a deversed field as possible, as I feel I could learn a lot from others while I do this.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I would be interested in seeing the mock-up and holding the parts in place stage of a tuber build... also I think this "how to" is a great idea , thanks
HauntFreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thats in the works.
I'm going to do an entire build Video. Start to Finish.
With explanations as I go. Like I did with the brazing video.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
tjb
Rock Crawler

Another thing to see would be a demo on how much smoother the Harris safety silv brazes over a flux coated rod maybe??
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I would like to see tips and tricks for duplicating compound bends and mirror image pieces. By duplicating I am interested in many many pieces. What do people do to stream line the production of a certain chassis.
phishead1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I think I could use help on the actual process, I'm sure alot of others could to....such as what part of the flame do you use to heat the joint? I always seem to burn the flux or get the brakeline to hot and it turns black.

Maybe just go into as much detail on how you do it in order to help people understand what they should be doing. I picked up a torch some braze and flux and just went at it. I've been trying for a long time now and my brazing still looks like crap in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, my stuff will hold up(my first tuber is still going strong, haven't broken one brazed joint) but I'd just like it to look better than it does. I could sit for hours cleaning up the joints but I know there's a better way to make them look smooth. It seems like some days I start brazing and the joints look like butter, other days they look like boogers...and I do pay attention to what I'm doing and can't figure out the differences.
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Custom Carbon Fiber

id be very interested in watching some how-to's. I just started working with brazing and must say ..... you guys are good. ive got 2 frames half built that probably need a dremel to make them usable and one thats ready for a crawler. ( atleast i think and hope so )

id be interested in seeing how hot you guys get the tubes .... like mentioned before what part of the flame to use ..... how you manage to keep the frame so clean from all the burns and flux .... and do most of you paint or powder coat them.

Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I need to order some Harris saftey silv 56 because I can't find it around here. My questions is: How many troy onces do you guys use for a tuber build? I would like to get everything I will need in one shot to save on shipping.
This will be my first try at brazing.

Thanks!
C.O.Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:02 AM   #9
RCC Addict

i would like to see how to make and braze on mounts even
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:10 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

let me see if I can do my best here.

Deep breath... and talk as fast as I can...LOL i'm in a bit of a time crunch.

TJB-Tried flux coated rod and hated it with an absolute passion.

Phish-Usually(not always) I'll have a print out of what I'm bending tape 2 pieces togeather and get it done that way. Since I usually do custom stuff that will work for me.
But there are companies out there with a 5 axis CNC machine that bends solid rod to whatever you'd like it to be. I've inquired about having the Spyder j done this way and the costs are way outta my leage..

Alot of people will make a Jig that will create the same bends each time. I've never had the time or patients to make anything that would work for me. But I've seen others post some here. I'd search but am limited on time at the moment.

Joemama-I've purchased some better lighting for taking videos in my shop and I'm also thinking about possibly having a film student take some video with a high res camera (but doubt it) during the process.
Also are you using oxy when you're brazing. Really the only time I get any carbon smoke is when I use oxy.. other than that I don't have the black smoke. my brazing video shows the actual process. just not clearly.
Hopefully you'll get something good out of the newer ones.

Trigr-I will try to the upper 3/4's of my flame sometimes I'll heat it up and then back off. If I get a joint that buggers up I'll heat it up and try to get it to flow out better while moving the piece around if possible or just turning it over so the buggered end will flow the opposite way. But buggers are something that will happen to everyone no matter how good you are.. I don't think any vendors will argue with me on it.

C.O.- For someone just learning and want to make one I suggest getting no less than 2 t.o. .. You should be able to complete a tuber easily with one. but the first one never stays with you and you'll make another plus you may mess up or just change directions and start another. or also just play around to get the hang of it.
I finished my first one with at least half left. but messed around with the other half. LOL

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can put something to geather to help as soon as I can.

jj

Long breath.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:13 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkranwinkle@cableone.net View Post
i would like to see how to make and braze on mounts even
Posted while I was trying to type. LOL

Like shock/link mounts?
That will be covered in my start to finish How to. I'll show how I cut and bend every piece as well as cut and drill out the shock and link mounts.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Curious to the how to. As I'm only into soldering at the moment, and want to learn brazing badly.
Vapex.eu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

aluminum how to would be sweet.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
let me see if I can do my best here.

Deep breath... and talk as fast as I can...LOL i'm in a bit of a time crunch.

TJB-Tried flux coated rod and hated it with an absolute passion.

Phish-Usually(not always) I'll have a print out of what I'm bending tape 2 pieces togeather and get it done that way. Since I usually do custom stuff that will work for me.
But there are companies out there with a 5 axis CNC machine that bends solid rod to whatever you'd like it to be. I've inquired about having the Spyder j done this way and the costs are way outta my leage..

Alot of people will make a Jig that will create the same bends each time. I've never had the time or patients to make anything that would work for me. But I've seen others post some here. I'd search but am limited on time at the moment.

Joemama-I've purchased some better lighting for taking videos in my shop and I'm also thinking about possibly having a film student take some video with a high res camera (but doubt it) during the process.
Also are you using oxy when you're brazing. Really the only time I get any carbon smoke is when I use oxy.. other than that I don't have the black smoke. my brazing video shows the actual process. just not clearly.
Hopefully you'll get something good out of the newer ones.

Trigr-I will try to the upper 3/4's of my flame sometimes I'll heat it up and then back off. If I get a joint that buggers up I'll heat it up and try to get it to flow out better while moving the piece around if possible or just turning it over so the buggered end will flow the opposite way. But buggers are something that will happen to everyone no matter how good you are.. I don't think any vendors will argue with me on it.

C.O.- For someone just learning and want to make one I suggest getting no less than 2 t.o. .. You should be able to complete a tuber easily with one. but the first one never stays with you and you'll make another plus you may mess up or just change directions and start another. or also just play around to get the hang of it.
I finished my first one with at least half left. but messed around with the other half. LOL

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can put something to geather to help as soon as I can.

jj

Long breath.
X2 on everything. for a simple tuber (such as the ones I build)... 2 t.o. might be a little much; but it is always better to have too much than too little. I can do about three chassis on 1 t.o. Once you get good, you know exactly how much braze to use and when you are using too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
aluminum how to would be sweet.
I could do this one.

everything is pretty much the same as steel brazing except:

- use ALCOR braze rod from Harris (check thier website for avail.) NOTHING ELSE WORKS AS GOOD IF AT ALL (read that part again if you are confused)
- No flux (rod is flux cored)
- Super clean bonding surface (clean with stainless steel brush)
- Less heat, more braze.

I will chime in on this thread when I can, help JJ out (he has a lot to learn)

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
I could do this one.

everything is pretty much the same as steel brazing except:

- use ALCOR braze rod from Harris (check thier website for avail.) NOTHING ELSE WORKS AS GOOD IF AT ALL (read that part again if you are confused)
- No flux (rod is flux cored)
- Super clean bonding surface (clean with stainless steel brush)
- Less heat, more braze.

I will chime in on this thread when I can, help JJ out (he has a lot to learn)

p!nK
so what are using for a torch? with the aluminum the melting range is allot smaller.. I have welded it with a mig no problem but the mig at work just wont do little stuff POS. I have a tig there as well but I can only do so much at work this is just something I havent tried yet I am sure I can do it.
and thanks pink
Old 03-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
so what are using for a torch? with the aluminum the melting range is allot smaller.. I have welded it with a mig no problem but the mig at work just wont do little stuff POS. I have a tig there as well but I can only do so much at work this is just something I havent tried yet I am sure I can do it.
and thanks pink
i use a mapp torch... further away from the material.

p!nK
Old 03-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I am gonna try it this week TY
Old 03-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

One more newbie question, sorry I’m not trying to hijack your thread.
As I mentioned before, I can’t find Harris products here locally, so I am trying to find a good place to order it online.
I did see in the other brazing thread that I should look on froogle.google.com for it, and I found some.
But I don’t want to just give my credit card out to some random online company.

Is there a good place you guys use and would recommend, or even better is there a vendor on here that sells it?

Thanks so much for all the help!
C.O.Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O.Crawler View Post
As I mentioned before, I can’t find Harris products here locally, so I am trying to find a good place to order it online.
I did see in the other brazing thread that I should look on froogle.google.com for it, and I found some.

Is there a good place you guys use and would recommend, or even better is there a vendor on here that sells it?

goto Harris's website (google it) send them an email stating where you are at (zip code, city, state) and tell them you are looking for a local distributor. Almost every welding supply store I have been in carries either the 45 or 56.

p!nK
Old 03-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #20
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O.Crawler View Post

This is where I got mine from. Dont know how the $$ is compared to other sites but it was my easiest find when I was looking. Their shipping was quick to and reasonable.

http://buildinghvac.com/acatalog/Pro...68.html#a75310
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote