Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Best set of hex drivers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Best set of hex drivers?

Done a few searches here and there but I was wondering what you all use for your driver sets? Is it necessary to buy name brand like Losi or Integy or, etc.... I have always used allen wrenches but want a good set of metric and standard drivers. Any advice would be great, thanks.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

You don't need to buy name brands. You can just buy from any hardware store, it doesn't even have to be a hobby store. I actually prefer using T-Handle drivers, but they don't fit in certain areas.

Torx, but you get the idea:

If you're going for quality, I'd buy single drivers as you need them, the nice aluminum handle ones with replaceable tips (can't remember brand name). Titanium nitride makes the tips a lot more durable.

I have had 6-7 different trucks ranging from 1/36 to 1/6, and probably only needed a total of 5-6 drivers. For the wierd things you barely ever do, the allen keys work fine.

A 2, 2.5, 3, and 4mm driver will do 90% of your needs.
firebat45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:47 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

personally, I have tried many brands and come to be very comfortable with the Integy Ti Nitride Pro Handles. I have had mine over a year without one being stripped, and I break loose many threadlocked bolts on my Kyoshos 777 SP2. The cut on the hex to the shank provides insane strength, and the handles are the right diameter for comfort. I also have a set of their spring steel tools with the team handle, and I honestly can't stand them. They are bench tools at best. Also, they nut drivers are different. They have a Pro Grip, and Pro Grip HD....Get the HD!! Much better, and they have steel replaceable tips instead of machined on Aluminum that aren't magnetic...Visit the site and check them out, I am impressed so far...Especially since I have bought the Pro & Team Hexes, Pro and Pro HD Nut Drivers, Screwdriver Set (also Pro Grip), 3 Team Flat Screwdrivers, 2 Pro Grip Plug Wrenches, and 2 Pro Grip Manifold Spring Tools so far, and with all that, I may have bought 4 Hudy Pieces??? Yeah, I said 4, my friend is a Hudy Junkie!! Oh, and they fit nicely into the top tray of my rolling Kobalt over and under chest.
dr.chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:46 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I use craftsman t handles , bot ball and straight, and snap on ball drivers for the rest, currently making some adapters to fit snap on hex shanks from the drivers into a 1/4 hex shank for power tool action
I like that snap on and craftsman offer lifetime replacement.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:06 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

DO NOT GO CHEAP ON YOUR HEX DRIVERS!!!!!
Use Integy, Losi, Axial any "Hobby Grade" hex drivers, they are precision cut so they do not strip out you screw heads.
The Craftsman and other handy man hexes will eventually cause devastation.
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
MWRCA'er

Well I have Craftsmen, Integy, Hudy, Dynamite driver sets.

My favorite is the Integy set. Color matched handles make it east to find the right sizes (unlike Hudy). Decently large grippy torque handles (unlike dynamite). The tips are very solid, I've broke the 1.5mm off a few times but that also happened with every set I have.

Obviously every set has is advantages.

I like the Hudy handles and long hex drives. Makes it great on those hard to reach places inside reaching though wheel holes ect. I hate the fact that they are not color matched and that the handles roll off the bench. Handles are large which helps with torque. I like the fact that the handles are light weight plastic just gives them a better feel.

I like the dynamite set. They are a little shorter and slimmer. Fit great in the travel tool box, They don't take up much room. They have a flat spot to stop them from rolling. They are not color matched though. I like them though the small handles sort of make you grab forcefully to the wrench to lay down serious torque. Sort of heavy like to, you have to balance the wrench and turn when at a angle.

Integy set is really the best all around. Color matched handles. Makes it great when working with a buddy in the shop. "Have you seen the Blue wrench?" Handles have a octagon like shape to prevent them from rolling to the floor. Pretty light weight hollow handle makes them easy to balance when turning at a angle. TI nitride tips they seem to not corrode or tarnish like my other tips. Handle is large enough for serious easy torque. Most affordable set too.

Last edited by Mnster; 04-22-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:48 AM   #7

I have the integy set too. i like them for 2 main reasons. 1 is that they are colour coded so you can get your hand on the right on the first time. the secod is that they are noce and rigid and don't twist under force unlike ordinary allan keys. That way you actually know how tight you are tightening something.
xtremecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Integy
jimbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

MIP's arre mine. They pull stripped screws from whne I used Integy Drivers.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yep like other said above don't skimp on your tools.

Also it is good to have a seperate set of drivers with the ball tip as they do not grip as good but come in handy when you have to get at the screw from an angle.
_BEN_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHardwear View Post
DO NOT GO CHEAP ON YOUR HEX DRIVERS!!!!!
Use Integy, Losi, Axial any "Hobby Grade" hex drivers, they are precision cut so they do not strip out you screw heads.
The Craftsman and other handy man hexes will eventually cause devastation.
I'm going to have to agree with this statement.

I don't think you have to use RC manufacturer tools, most of these guys just put their brand name on tools made by other companies anyway. However, you should always use good quality tools. Personally, I use Snap-On tools for just about everything. Then again, I get a deal on tools where I work, because they're a bit pricey.
Browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

So far the Integy and Hudy's I bought a few years back have been pretty good to me. There must be something wrong with that 1.5mm cause I've broken two of those too!
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Just an addendum to my first reply, when I said you don't have to buy name brand, I didn't mean buy crap. Buy something high quality, but you don't necessarily need a name brand to get high quality. Cheap hexes will round out tough screws.
firebat45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #14
ghetto fabulous newbie

Time to upgrade to hex wrench set
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #15
Adilynsdad too!

I owned Associated for years and liked them...

I then picked up a set of Axials which were also nice.

Disturbin tha Peace turned me on to these bad boys!

http://edsracingproducts.com/

Worth every penny in my book
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #16
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well IMO the Integys suck big time this will be my next set of drivers edsracingproducts.com

Last edited by chip cross; 04-22-2008 at 09:35 PM.
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #17

i got losi drivers about 3 years ago they have been used alot and never had a problem. dont skimp on tools, buy them once not 2 or 3 times
jackal 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:08 AM   #18
2006 2.2 National Champ

I have the Axial nut drivers and allen wrenches, love 'em. Purpose built R/C tools are tough to beat. I could never go back to standard allen wrenches and nut drivers again.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #19
RCC Addict

I have all MIP and Trinity for years, and I love them also. Axial does make some very nice tools.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #20
RCC Addict

do any of the vendors here carr the axial tools ?
chivas72 is offline   Reply With Quote