Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: tools for building a tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 04:15 PM   #21

you dont have to weld all the way around with tig as the weld is stronger than mig or arc that is why most pressure vessels are tiged is its strength but just a thought brazing is good but honestly to turn a welder down enough to weld that thin of tube you would not have a strong weld although with the rod you wouldnt have the problem with burn through & would be better
Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 PM   #22
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty
you dont have to weld all the way around with tig as the weld is stronger than mig or arc that is why most pressure vessels are tiged is its strength but just a thought brazing is good but honestly to turn a welder down enough to weld that thin of tube you would not have a strong weld although with the rod you wouldnt have the problem with burn through & would be better
Man....is that all one sentence???

If you don't weld fully, how do you make the joint look good?

"Brazing.....turn the welder down??" Sounds like you're talking about an electric welder ???

Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:22 AM   #23

first off i didnt realize that by trying to help someone i was going to be criticed for my lack of poise in sentence wrighting but what ever
Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:46 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Hmm... I though Tig was one of the weakest types of welding, that and Mig... ARC or "Stick" welding is the strongest from what my Intructor a school told me, lol.

I just got one of the small Oxy/Acetylene torches from the WeldingDepot.com, think I may have to buy a smaller torch tip though.

Hey Roktoy: what part of the chassis do you start on first, my last one (that I scraped cause I messed it up) I started with the center "oval" and just went from there, is there an easier way?

Thanks,
Jake
JakeDaSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:33 AM   #25
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDaSnake
Hey Roktoy: what part of the chassis do you start on first, my last one (that I scraped cause I messed it up) I started with the center "oval" and just went from there, is there an easier way?

Thanks,
Jake
Jake.....I usually start by building a complete loop that spans front to rear as shown in the pics in the tube building article. I start the top half from there.

I'm planning to start a shaft tuber soon and hope to provide lots of pics along the way showing how I went about building it.......

Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:53 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Yea thats what I started out with, but I biult my first chassis while my Axles were on order... so the 4-link design didn't match up and I couldn't find any way to mount the shocks.

So my next is gonna be the loop to start off, and then the suspension parts and the cage last,lol

Later,
Jake
JakeDaSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:07 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

In my opinion MIG is fine and you don't have to weld all the way around. I usually just weld on top and bottom of a joint. I don't weld in the corners because it's hard to smooth out. But my first chassis was welded all the way around and I could stand on it and bounce with no flex at all. Strengh is in design not weld technique. When I design a chassis I do a few sketches and start building. I usually change how the tranny is mounted a few times while building, I change the shock mounts but it always works. If I had CAD I bet the'd even work better. I think sometimes I just get lucky though.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote