Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: anybody here use this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default anybody here use this?

been lookin for a new tig for home....
really need one that i can run on 110...(long story/old house)
really dont want harbor freight cheap thing...
considered hobart dragster 85,mixed reviews though
....got more back from taxes than planned so i can up my max $$$$ amount
dont need the stick stuff but heres the "kit" i am lookin at
and i believe it is a newer model,just dont wanna buy a lemon and wondering if anyone has used this one?
VV click VV
http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-MAXSTAR-1...3A2%7C294%3A50
or the less expensive version(without hi freq..but does have "lift arc")
http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-MAXSTAR-1...3A2%7C294%3A50
size and capacity wise this machine is perfect...for my use
doing 4130 steel/304 & 316 stainless 95% of which .030 to .065

SO ANYBODY USE EITHER ONE OF THESE
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I own the Maxstar 150STL and I have also used the 150STH. Both are great welders. In addition to high frequency the STH also has a pulse mode. If you have the extra scratch get the STH version. I personally hate the lift arc starting. I'm getting use to it, but it is still more difficult to get a good start. This welder is definitely not a lemon, it is very reliable. It is designed for industrial maintenance use and is actually very rugged. It TIGs great on 110 all the way up to about 125 amps, above that I would recommend plugging it into 220. It doesn't stick weld so good on 110 though and It's not as smooth of a welder as some of the larger more complex machines.

Cyberweld has the kit a few bucks cheaper than that ebay listing and is a great vendor to deal with. I also noticed that kit you are looking at come with the fingertip control; It's just personal preference but I would reccomend getting a foot control as it much easier to keep the torch steady while adjusting the heat. Especially if you are mostly welding small stuff that you can work on sitting down at a bench. You'll have no problem with welding thin stuff like .030 to .065" thickness with it, the arc is very manageable even at the low end.

Any specific questions you have about the welder or it's capabilities? My Maxstar quickly became my favorite tool, I'm very happy with the purchase.

All that being said, you might want to look into the Miller Diversion 165 also. Just a bit more money and a lot more capability. I haven't used it though so I can't personally comment on it. (edit: nevermind about the Diversion... I just realized that it's 220 only, won't work for you)

You might also try asking about the Maxstar here:
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...nities/mboard/

Last edited by toybuilder; 04-22-2009 at 12:22 PM.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
dkf
Rock Crawler

I got a Syncrowave 200 and its a great welder. The runner is a little over 2 grand. Only downside to the syncrowaves is they are amperage hungry. (Running 220v w/60 amp breaker) For what you want to do the maxstar will get er done. For thin materials the pulser can come in handy although I rarely use pulse because I weld thicker materials. Could always experiment with 1/16" tungsten also for the thin metal. I prefer a foot pedal because thats all I use and I'm pretty good at using the foot pedal standing also.

I would recommend running on 220 if at all possible. Running 220 will almost cut the amperage requirements in half compared to 110. Dryers, electric heaters, water heaters and etc run on 220 so maybe you have it there already or could run a line.

If you can run 220 I would look into the diversion which is basically an updated econotig. Being able to weld thin aluminum may come in handy.

Might want to price the welder out at some local welding supply oufits also. Find several and call around for pricing. I've found over $300 price differences from different shops when I bought my syncrowave.

Hobart welders are made by Miller so I wouldn't rule them out. Lincoln also makes good welders although I prefer Miller. I use miller welders and mostly use Lincoln filler metals.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I know you didnt say you wanted it to do aluminum... but both of the machines you listed are DC only... You need an AC capable machine to do alum... just so you know...

and like it was said earlier... foot control or finger control, its a matter of preference. I personally hate the foot control, fingertip takes the win in my book.
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I got a Syncrowave 200 and its a great welder. The runner is a little over 2 grand. Only downside to the syncrowaves is they are amperage hungry. (Running 220v w/60 amp breaker) For what you want to do the maxstar will get er done. For thin materials the pulser can come in handy although I rarely use pulse because I weld thicker materials. Could always experiment with 1/16" tungsten also for the thin metal. I prefer a foot pedal because thats all I use and I'm pretty good at using the foot pedal standing also.

Might want to price the welder out at some local welding supply oufits also. Find several and call around for pricing. I've found over $300 price differences from different shops when I bought my syncrowave.
Yeah, the Synchrowave is an awesome welder. In a whole different league that the Maxstar though. I can think of at least two other downsides to the Syncro. Size and weight. That thing is gigantic compared to the Maxstar.

It's always nice to get in good with the LWS. You'll be seeing them regularly for your consumables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDEcrawlerguy View Post
I know you didnt say you wanted it to do aluminum... but both of the machines you listed are DC only... You need an AC capable machine to do alum... just so you know...
The Miller Dynasty 200 can weld Aluminum on 110, but I don't know of any other Miller welders that can. It is about 3x the cost of the Maxstar though. That's a lot of extra cash to put out for something you don't think you'll need.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

thanks toybuilder...your input is greatly appreciated
MAXSTAR 150STH it is,

>my whole house is on a 220v/60a fuse(wiring upgraded not service yet)
>no need forseen to do aluminum(4130 chromy moly,304 & 316 stainless only)
>should be able to get the whole set up under $2ooo,with foot control, bottle,and I hope a new auto dark helmet thrown in(co-workers brother works there)
Old 04-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
thanks toybuilder...your input is greatly appreciated
MAXSTAR 150STH it is,

>no need forseen to do aluminum(4130 chromy moly,304 & 316 stainless only)
As long as that "no need forseen to do aluminum" statement holds true and you don't plan to build a 1:1 crawler with your Maxstar you will never think twice about the money you spent! You are welcome to stop by and try mine out before you buy :-P There are nicer welders available for slightly more money, but nothing that is compact and that will run on 110 volts.

Let us know how you like your STH. I'm looking into upgrading my STL to an STH right now.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #8

If you have a bit more power available then I would suggest a Miller Diversion 165. They seem to be great for the money. If you can pony up a bit more go for the Thermal Arc Arc master 185. I have the Pro Wave 185 and the machine is amazing. Its fully programmable like a Dynasty but is half the price and is also an inverter so it won't draw a ton of amps. I have maxed mine out on a 30 amp breaker and have never tripped it. Its AC/DC do it does aluminum nicely.
CSaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
dkf
Rock Crawler

Miller TIG buyers guide. http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/TIGBuyersGuide.pdf

Good info.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default Welding Small Stuff

Hey Gadge, too bad you only have 110 available, you know that there are better welders out there otherwise. Never the less you're going to love your little Maxstar.

I wasn't going to post any weld pics because they all still suck, but I actually use the welder you asked about. I'm not just making it up, the Maxstar welds thin stuff nicely. It's designed to weld stainless down to .020" thick. I am a total welding newbie, never welded anything before I picked up my Maxstar a few months ago and here are some examples of what I'm doing with this welder now. First pic is regular old 3/16" .035" wall brake line which is really too dirty to TIG nicely. Second pic is some ~.060" wall 1/2" square tubing welded to .060" sheet. For size reference in the picture is also the end of a 1.5mm hex driver. Nice little welder.

It gets hard to see what's going on under a #9 shade when the arc is this weak.
Attached Images

Last edited by toybuilder; 05-03-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

Damn Clint.......I hate you!! Nice stuff......now where's my tube frame?!?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Try it on some thin stainless sheet or rod for tubers than you will see how nice the tig weld on that little machine is. Very impressive.
pureadrenalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default Finally blew my tax return

ITS ON THE WAY
spending my tax return is better than christmas!
hope to be up n runnin within a week,friday will be nice...

so i decided to get the
>Miller Maxstar 150STH after everything i have read about its low amp performance, speaking of which
new
>Miller Elite helmet also which is good down to 5amp tig ! And i can still use it for mega stuff....150A
even got #10 of .035 ER-70S2

now i just have to get my sister to lend me her bottles and make a foot control...

GADGE
Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Congrats man that is some nice portable gear. Cant wait to get my hands on a syncrowave. With Millers technology it just gets beter and better for the end user.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Nice helmet! Is that the digital version?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

oh yea, Titanium "ELITE"
designed for hi amp hi heat but works down to 5 amp tig
fully adjustable digitally, 4 arc sensors shade 8 to 13, auto on & off, adjustable delay, 3000hr. lith batt with solar recharge
"Yea pretty much all the bells and whistles"

The Hi amp/Heat feature is mainly comfort not anything different electronically from std elite except paint, its a bit reflective. also i believe there is a thermal break in the lens to prevent heat transfer...

not too bad weight wise either at 18oz sure beat some of the old ones I've used. I really like the chin shape also

thought the helmet was the best "fit " for my need, just like the welder

I will be doing alot of welding right in front of my face, it comes with magnif lens holder too,

and I dont mind a little comfort.so probably a fresh air system is in the works too
Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

How much is that badass helmet? Is it a Miller?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

list for $360, i got it for 260
Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureadrenalin View Post
How much is that badass helmet? Is it a Miller?
yeah, it's a Miller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
list for $360, i got it for 260
Very nice helmet. I have an Elite also, but mine is a slightly older analog version. It has mostly the same specs, just has knobs for the adjustment. And yes the face of my helmet spends a lot of time up close and personal with the weld. Still hard to see whats happening though with a 5-10 amp arc. Does that helmet go lower than 9 on the shade setting?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

main reason I got it............
5 AMP TIG Rated ..... Shade 8 to 13