Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Brazing question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Brazing question

Im planning on starting to make tubers and such i was wondering if this would be a good set? http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/we...2GKA50-TC.html

if not can u get me a link to a good brazing set thanks
CoreyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Go to the home page. Alll the info you need is there, and you will save about $200

LINK

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 11-11-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
Colt Python/SR9c

no, that is not what you want... well, unles you are gonna start torching on a 1:1 truck... you just need a mapp torch ( like for plumbing) but instead of propane, use a bottle of mapp..
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Can someone get me a link to exactly what i need like, the map gass stuff, torches etc........?
CoreyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
Colt Python/SR9c

just go to homedepot and look in the tools section.. ask a salesperson for a propane torch.. but instead of propane, you will need a mapp gas tank.. its very easy

edit- just as easy as typing in "propane torch" into the google search bar http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...1&TYPE=froogle

Last edited by TwistedCreations; 11-12-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I've used all three, mapp, mapp/oxy and oxy/acetylene. In my opinion, an oxy/acetylene torch like you posted is overkill, especially for thin walled brake line. I'd go with a mapp/oxy torch which is much cheaper since there is no regulators and the tanks are disposable. But expect to go through a lot of oxy tanks, and at $8 a pop, they are not cheap.

If you use mostly solid rod and you are lazy like me, use oxy/acetylene. I have a torch kit like that, but I have 40 and 55 cu ft bottles.
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:00 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Default torch

the torch you posted a link to is what i have, and use extensively. Granted, i also Acetylene weld some sheet metal, and do a bit of work on 1:1 vehicles too. I've found that using this setup, with either a #1, 0, or 00 will work just fine for brazing, just make sure your feather is about 1/8 +/- and if you can hear your flame, you're too hot. i'm in the process of brazing up my first tuber as well.

Overkill on little stuff, maybe, but you won't be refilling or replacing bottles as offten as the little rigs, AND if you need it for 1:1 project, you'll be happy you have it, because theres nothing worse than running out of juice on a sunday and no one is open for a refill.....

I upsized my bottles from the original ones to 1 size bigger, and i've been brazing, welding, cutting w/ them for about 6 months, and refills are (around here) approximately 30 - 50.00 for a refil of oxy, and acetylene.

just remember to get #1, 0, 0r 00 tips for it, those are Acetylene welding tips, FAR DIFFERENT from the cutting head on the torch as pictured.
hope this helps.
phantom309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #8

I was ebaying mapp torches and just a bunch of these came up:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Surefire-Bernzom...QQcmdZViewItem
I haven't built a frame yet, so I don't really know what all in considered a good torch. I know you can buy the propane ones at HD and get the mapp tanks, but is the link I provided what they mainly look like or sufficient?

I don't know if it matters or not, but I am planning on going with brake tubing, not solid rod.
chadmandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'll throw in my .02.

If you work on 1:1 rigs as well, get an oxy/acetylene rig with as big of bottles as you can afford. You won't regret it. Then, buy a jeweler's torch kit for doing the brazing.

If it's just tubers you'll be using it for, go to HD and buy the mapp kit. I couldn't find a link, but I was there the other day and they had a kit with two bottles of mapp and the self-igniting torch for $39.95.

I bought the kit that uses oxygen and mapp, and while it works great, you'll go through oxygen like it's going out of style. And that, can get expensive in a hurry.

Then, find a local welding supply shop. DON'T get the flux/brazing rod from HD, you'll probably regret it. Buy a jar of Harris stay-silv flux, and a small roll of #45 brazing rod. Either 1/16" or 1/32" will work well, but I prefer the 1/16".

If you're like me, you'll find the brazing to be extrememly easy compared to bending the tubing in the shape you want.

Another tip, buy at least five 4' sticks for the first tuber. After you ruin the first 2 or 3 sticks, you should have enough left over to build a tuber.

Good luck, and let us see it when you're finished.

-WRM
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:22 AM   #10

thanks WRMorrison....I'll buy the materials this weekend. I appreciate the input. I'm an admin from another RC Forum and have been lurking around this place for a while. I think I'm ready to get knee deep the the crawling world and give nitro MT a break for a little bit.
chadmandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

alright so let me get this straight. all you need is a mapp torch? would that provide enough heat for solid 3/16 or 1/4 inch steel rods?
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:51 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
alright so let me get this straight. all you need is a mapp torch? would that provide enough heat for solid 3/16 or 1/4 inch steel rods?
NO. MAPP is for brazing, using 1/16 or 1/32 BRAZING rods. Think about it. They don't even make brazing rod 3/16 or 1/4" Ø that I'm aware of. And if they did they're not solid steel, and I sure as hell wouldn't use it as a filler rod. I'd just arc/mig weld it.

Unless, you're referring to 3/16 or 1/4" rod that the actual chassis is made from. If so, I wouldn't use solid rod, as it would be too heavy. Maybe for bracing in select places, but definitely not the entire chassis. Besides, you're not really fusing the metals together, you're just adding a filler metal between the two to attach them.

Last edited by WRMorrison; 11-28-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:00 PM   #13
RCC Addict

yea i was referring to brazing 3/16 or 1/4 rod for the chassis. well do you think mapp would be fine for solid 3/16 or 1/4 solid rod?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
yea i was referring to brazing 3/16 or 1/4 rod for the chassis. well do you think mapp would be fine for solid 3/16 or 1/4 solid rod?
If you're building a chassis out of 3/16" or 1/4" solid rod, and using 1/16" brazing rod...then yes, it will work.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:30 PM   #15
RCC Addict

ok thanks that was the answer i was originally looking for.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:38 PM   #16
Colt Python/SR9c

well your gonna be sitting there for a long time waiting for that solid steel to heat up with just using mapp gas
Old 11-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
well your gonna be sitting there for a long time waiting for that solid steel to heat up with just using mapp gas
True
Old 12-15-2005, 09:34 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

hey guys, I just ordered the Oxy/Ace. torch kit at the top of the page, how long would the bottles last?

Later,
Jake
JakeDaSnake is offline   Reply With Quote