I'm in the market for a cordless drill that has:

1. 1/4" hex for tools
  2. Lithium
  3. Variable speed
  4. Clutch with a torque range for RC fasteners
So far what I have found are:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...ordless+System

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/....aspx?ID=26527

I've got a Makita 18V 1/2" chuck drill that I really like. I've also used a Milwaukee cordless impact that I was happy with.

What do you guys have? What have you used that you like/don't like? Right now I am borrowing a dremel from the shop but it does not have a clutch and I think that I'd really like that.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I'm a Milwaukee person, IMHO some of the best power tools out there.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

I have two of these. They make one with a clutch and one without. I use the one with at home on my RC's and anything else really. The one without I use at work and use it for everything from pulling valve covers to taking dashes apart on big trucks. I think the clutched one is around 120 or so with charger and 2 batteries. The trigger is a rocker type which is sweet. No button to push to change directions.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
JSN
Quarry Creeper

I also have the dremel driver... I use it ONLY for removing screws since buying one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skil-7-2V-Cordle...item3ca98bd08a

you can find them reconditioned for $40 or new for $80....yeah its skil but I have to say for the money it works great... on clutch setting 1 you simply cannot strip out a set in plastic screw... I set my wheel nuts on about 6... even use it for small drilling jobs now and then.
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #5

Well I went to the hardware store last night and I got to feel the Milwaukee. Boy is it a whole lot of sub-compact drill. I have no doubt it will do the job, but I'm not sure it is compact enough. I did 86 the Makita, it has a 2 handed chuck instead of a 1 handed chuck. I'm going to look at the Bosch tonight.

http://www.boschtools.com/products/t...px?pid=ps20-2a
Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

from 10 years of constuction experince. i would go with the makita, becasuse i have seen the new ones last and the battery seem to be better than the rest. usally never go wrong with milwaukee. and i have never liked bosch becuase that dont last long the quailty is extremely lacking.
limpy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpy88 View Post
from 10 years of constuction experince. i would go with the makita, becasuse i have seen the new ones last and the battery seem to be better than the rest. usally never go wrong with milwaukee. and i have never liked bosch becuase that dont last long the quailty is extremely lacking.
I've got an 18V Makita that is working great. But I'm not interested in a 1/4" hex that needs two hands to operate, ideally a magnetic mechanism is what I'd like.

Interesting comment you have on Bosch, my impression of them is that they have well engineered products. I don't have any hands on experience with them, just what I know from the automotive industry.

Last edited by whoodie; 01-26-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I've got the milwaukee one. Great little tool. Use it for everything. Get the integy hex tool set and you are good to go.

I got the universal tool kit for it as well with drill bits and tips and extensions and such.

My buddy has the Ryobi version. I take Milwaukee over any any day.
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have found that most of the Milwaukee/Makita are to big. Not to big for screwing down deck screws but way to big for small stuff. This is the one I use for my r/c stuff.

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Still using this one, the charge lasts for freaking ever. Just peaked out the GP3300 cells at over 3700 mah the other night.

Tim Taylor
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

go with the milwaulkee drill.
norcallump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcallump View Post
go with the milwaulkee drill.
I just did, waiting for it to charge up now.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #13

Yeah this thing is sweet. Only issue is that with M3 hardware if the thread engagement is small (~6mm or so) the clutch on the lowest setting will not kick in. With larger thread engagement the clutch works just fine. I like it though and am definitely keeping it. Now to figure out what bits to get for it
Old 01-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Hitachi DB3DL. No questions asked... the best driver for strictly rc work. Pair it with some quality bits, and you've got a great combo. Plenty of clutch options, and comes with 2 batteries. It's also only 1/2lb compared to the pistol guns weighing around 2lbs. I wasn't sure of the thumb operation at first, but once you use it, you're hooked. They were on sale on eBay for $39.99 +$9.99 shipping. I doubt you can find i deal like that anymore.

Some good bits are Hudy brand. You can find those on A-main hobbies. Pricey, but worth it. Ofna is little cheaper, but also work well.
Calicrawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I picked up that Makita in a kit with 160 bits, 2 batteries, a charger, and hard case for 79 bucks. It's been a great little driver so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
I'm in the market for a cordless drill that has:

1. 1/4" hex for tools
  2. Lithium
  3. Variable speed
  4. Clutch with a torque range for RC fasteners
So far what I have found are:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...ordless+System

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/....aspx?ID=26527

I've got a Makita 18V 1/2" chuck drill that I really like. I've also used a Milwaukee cordless impact that I was happy with.

What do you guys have? What have you used that you like/don't like? Right now I am borrowing a dremel from the shop but it does not have a clutch and I think that I'd really like that.
sdcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
I joined the Band!

We use the Snap-On 7.2 Cordless with a Clutch.

717CRAWLERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

The softest clutch I ever found was from a 4.8v mac tools nicad driver, you could use it to install 2mm screws in the cr01 beadlocks without stripping them, but nicad sucked donkeys, and was only like 600mah at that, the next one I tired and liked was a skil 7.2 ion driver, the clutch is not nearly as soft, but ion and enough power to drill with a aux shanked chuck, they where floating around for $30+ on ebay.
Best bits is the Ti Nitride from integy, I've tried them all and the tightest fitting has been the integy,if you got some tools/skills you can buy 1/4 hex brass, and make simple holders to the integy blades , and save your self some $$, I made my own, came out to just under $5.00 each and that includes the shipping and everything.

Last edited by Joat; 01-28-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I use a Bosch 12v lithium ion......awesome tool, wouldnt give it up!!!
Captaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #19

+1 for the Snap-On Not cheap, but just right for the job.
Prybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmstEvil665 View Post
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

I have two of these. They make one with a clutch and one without. I use the one with at home on my RC's and anything else really. The one without I use at work and use it for everything from pulling valve covers to taking dashes apart on big trucks. I think the clutched one is around 120 or so with charger and 2 batteries. The trigger is a rocker type which is sweet. No button to push to change directions.

Same here - I bought the first one without the clutch and ended taking it home from the shop for a weekend and never took it back to work. Even without the clutch, I've never had a problem of over tightening stuff, but then most pro-wrenchers get torque calibrated hands/ wirsts just from experience
Heavy Metal Doc is offline   Reply With Quote