Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Brazing...You can do it if I can!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Brazing...You can do it if I can!

Well here goes my first attempt at brazing. I can MIG and solder good, so I guess I should add this to my bag of tricks. I've been inspired by some of the "art" that you guys are creating. I have this in the Losi CC section but thought more people would see it here and could maybe help others, I'm not trying to spam up all the forums

I'm using Harris 45 and Harris white flux like most people. I'll be adding some Harris 56 for detail work as it has a lower melting point and won't overheat my small detail parts like grab handles. I'm talking like I know what I'm doing, but that's just because of all the good info I got from you guys here. The "tubes" are actually 1/8" round stock.

I'm using a 12"x18" sheet of 16 guage steel as a work surface and plenty of magnets for work holding as well as a trusty set of "extra hands", you know the arms with aligator clips on the ends.

Here's what I've got so far...be gentle, it's my first time lol

I'm going to web the back end sorta like this...

More updates tonight...thanks for looking
RyansRubicon.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

that is slick as shit dude ....what tube rod r u using, looks like 1/8" solid rod.............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Correct, this one is 1/8" solid rod. Next one will be 3/16" brake line. The web details are going to be 1/16" rod.

Today I picked up some fab goodies! I got three long pieces of uncoated 3/16" brake line from NAPA. One pack of 1/8" solid uncoated TIG welding wire. (Much cheaper than buying round bar at Home Depot or Lowes...little hint) And one pack of 1/16" uncoated TIG welding wire for details. Also picked up some Harris 56 and a new MAPP torch. My brand new torch's auto igniter went out after about the 3rd light. Pretty sad.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

I'm not a huge fan of the web look,never have been. All that aside though,you got some clean work going on there. Looks great.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the web look,never have been. All that aside though,you got some clean work going on there. Looks great.
Thanks for the honesty, Love it or hate it it's all good.

It's just my first, and I've caught the bug, so I'm sure I'll have more tasteful varieties in the future...maybe
Old 03-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I wasn't happy with the way the webbing was starting, so I removed what I did and started fresh. I'm using 1/16" rod. I'm going to work from the top down this time. I'm using Harris 56 for this section because of the stupid small pieces. They are barely big enough to get an aligator clip on! Anyways...First row complete...

Old 03-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Hey look, a wire bender! Just happened to be the radius I was lookin for...

Old 03-27-2010, 01:03 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Second row complete. OMG, this part is getting tedious. I think I'll take a break from the webbing and work on the front and sides. I have an idea for integrating two battery holders that will fit inside the door frame and be hidden behind the body panel, I'll attach the panel with magnets to have quick access to the battery. The trick is to see if I can get them low enough so they don't affect the CG too negatively.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:21 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I experimented with panel attachment. I brazed some 4-40 nuts behind the panel but don't think this will be the solution I want. Too many variables affecting good panel fit that I don't want to deal with. I think what I'll do instead is place the panels in from behind and braze them to the cage, making it more of a unibody, then paint the whole thing. It will look much cleaner that way I think. OK, off to bed.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Great design idea, can't wait to see it all done, keep us updated.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Added another row of webbing this morning...

Old 03-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #12

Very cool... I am cutting pieces now. Will start with the heat soon. Can't wait to something together!
TroyKrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyKrum View Post
Very cool... I am cutting pieces now. Will start with the heat soon. Can't wait to something together!
Thanks, hope you have fun with it
Old 03-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I finished the last row of webbing on the back and its got a roof now. The roof may look rough, but its the pictures. By the time its prepped and painted, it will look flat.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I once made a tuber with welded on panels... never again. Access was a nightmare.

The webbing looks very good. Where are your suspension mounts going to be? Have you thought about link geometry?

D90's rock.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
I once made a tuber with welded on panels... never again. Access was a nightmare.

The webbing looks very good. Where are your suspension mounts going to be? Have you thought about link geometry?

D90's rock.

p!nK
You bring up some good points and I've been thinking about that over the last couple days. For one, this is my first brazed chassis experiment so the entire project is learn-as-I-go and I'm learning a lot. Mostly learning technique and how to make clean joints, how to heat the metal, what temps the flux flows best, when to add the filler, how to manipulate the puddle with heat application...etc. All the little nuances of the brazing skill.

So with that being said, my initial intention was to build this simply to mount over the stock Losi TVP frame, just as the regular lexan body would be. Sort of a fake tuber, keeping all the suspension geometry and mounts on the stock frame. Now that I've gotten this far, and I've got ahold of a bunch of 3/16" brakeline, I'm thinking a proper tuber is in order.

To answer your question, I will be using the exact geometry as my current Losi Comp Crawler in my new tube frame. Right now, I am getting all the measurements off my Losi CC, and building a jig to hold the axles and links in position so I can work off a known good suspension geometry setup, then design the tube chassis around that.

If you have any wisdom, feel free to type. I've read just about every fab thread in this forum!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #17

Default Wow....

I'm a newbie to crawling, so forgive my newbishness. I had to post in and say that this is a kickass project!

How hard would it be for a total newb to fabrication to learn to do some brazing? I'd love to learn this stuff!

Thanks! Keep up the awesome work man!

-Mike @ Walt's
Ravenseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansRubicon.co View Post
You bring up some good points and I've been thinking about that over the last couple days. For one, this is my first brazed chassis experiment so the entire project is learn-as-I-go and I'm learning a lot. Mostly learning technique and how to make clean joints, how to heat the metal, what temps the flux flows best, when to add the filler, how to manipulate the puddle with heat application...etc. All the little nuances of the brazing skill.

So with that being said, my initial intention was to build this simply to mount over the stock Losi TVP frame, just as the regular lexan body would be. Sort of a fake tuber, keeping all the suspension geometry and mounts on the stock frame. Now that I've gotten this far, and I've got ahold of a bunch of 3/16" brakeline, I'm thinking a proper tuber is in order.

To answer your question, I will be using the exact geometry as my current Losi Comp Crawler in my new tube frame. Right now, I am getting all the measurements off my Losi CC, and building a jig to hold the axles and links in position so I can work off a known good suspension geometry setup, then design the tube chassis around that.

If you have any wisdom, feel free to type. I've read just about every fab thread in this forum!
Ahhhhh a TVPuper huh?? I have no idea what you are talking about...
"mR.p!nK Designs" AX-tuber....

Well, with all that being said, looks awesome. Getting that webbing to look so symmetrical shows great promise. Keep it up. I will be watching for sure.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
I'm a newbie to crawling, so forgive my newbishness. I had to post in and say that this is a kickass project!

How hard would it be for a total newb to fabrication to learn to do some brazing? I'd love to learn this stuff!

Thanks! Keep up the awesome work man!

-Mike @ Walt's
Hey Mike, thanks for chiming in. Well, since I'm a newb at this too I guess i'll answer from my own perspective. This is my first project so what you see is what my experience in brazing entails. I like to think its going pretty good so far. Maybe not the design, but the assembly at least. Wether or not its easy for you depends on your own aptitude for learning. I have welding experience and years of soldering so you put those two together and it all makes sense to me. I think if you get the right equipment (Please search these forums, they will tell you all you need to know!!!) it will make things much easier.

Good luck, start burning stuff!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
Ahhhhh a TVPuper huh?? I have no idea what you are talking about...
"mR.p!nK Designs" AX-tuber....

Well, with all that being said, looks awesome. Getting that webbing to look so symmetrical shows great promise. Keep it up. I will be watching for sure.

p!nK

Wow, lots of drama in that thread lol. Any way you look at it, I like it. I also like the way you mounted it to the TVP. I was scratching my head on that for the last few days, and there it is. Your solution was perfectly executed and very obvious, I just couldn't see it in front of my face. Nice job.

Oh, I may be stealing ideas, so this is me giving you credit in advance...