Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
cheap
good enuf for me .
93 FORD BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Dont forget to sand the coating off the brake line before you braze/solder unless you can find the bare stuff and stainless is more $ but IMO worth it and when useing stainless be sure to wear a mask. Stainless puts off toxic fumes when you heat it.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Search online for local welding supply stores. Most larger towns have them and they can supply you with all your needs.

Silver Soldering is very easy and in my opinion stronger then simple brazing and you get a much cleaner joint. I personally use a benzomatic map/oxy setup. I just made some modifications to use the larger oxy tanks. I use Harris Safety Silv 56 and flux for all my needs. The little pencil tip flame on my hobby torch is great as it puts the heat right were I need it and does not heat up the whole peice. There is little to no clean up required if done correctly.

As far as the little throw away Oxy bottles. I get enough in one bottle to build for quite a while. You don't need much of a flame to do most of the work so you are using very little oxy.
Rat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #44
Moderator Rule Breaker

http://store.cyberweld.com/smithequipment.html
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #45

great info
yellowallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #46
Rock Stacker

hmm good thread,it has answear'd a few questions i had
mikef350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

u can find most silver soldering and brazing supplies at any hvac supply store... harrris makes the best products.. i personally use harris 15.. one easy way to control silver when its flowing is to just use the heat source. the solder will follow the heat.. try it some time on a clean piece of copper tube...

also beware of fumes.. especially the fumes put off by the silver flux... its caustic...

and DO NOT use regular lead free solder flux for silver soldering , although it will work for copper tube and sheet , it will not work for steel

Last edited by irishgunslinger1; 08-07-2010 at 12:00 AM.
irishgunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

I've been using a Benzomatic MAPP torch setup from Lowe's. It's served me pretty well, but I would like a more concentrated flame. Smith's "The Little Torch" looks like a great setup except for the fact that I assume it would need bottles, regulators, etc. Then it's up to the price of a real oxy/acetylene rig that I could also use for 1:1 projects. I have a hard time spending that kind of money for a tool I'll only use for RC stuff. So......

If I bought a standard, fullsize oxy/acetylene rig, what would I need in the way of small tips, etc. in order to be able to use the full size bottles/regulators for brazing. Tim, is this what you use?

Thanks,
Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

My Smith torch with regulators cost me $300 and thats cheep compared to some of my tools. Then my tanks cost me $8 and $14 when I swap them out for full ones.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
If I bought a standard, fullsize oxy/acetylene rig, what would I need in the way of small tips, etc. in order to be able to use the full size bottles/regulators for brazing. Tim, is this what you use?
Oxy/acetylene with Victor Firepower regulators, 25 foot hose, Victor handle with a 00 brazing tip.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Oxy/acetylene with Victor Firepower regulators, 25 foot hose, Victor handle with a 00 brazing tip.
Thanks, Tim! I hated the thought of chunking out several hundred dollars for something I could only use for light duty (RC) brazing. Now I finally have the incentive to get an oxy rig...
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
If you're going to invest in something, you might as well make it as useful as possible. That is the same setup I use, and in addition to making 1:10th scale tube work as fast and easy as possible, you'll find a lot more uses for it outside of your RC workshop. Most Victor kits come with an array of tips from a 00 up to a cutting tip.

The method vs. material discussion is a dillemma. Yes, coated rod is very cheap, but it's almost impossible to work without an expensive Oxy/Acetelyne rig. Harris Safety Silv is pretty expensive stuff (but fully worth every penny IMO) but you can work it with a $12 dollar MAPP head and disposable bottles from Lowes. Go figure...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote