Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Any one ever bought all your brazing tools from Home Depot or Lowes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Do they make a smaller tip that you can add to Mapp tank?
Onebdgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykrawler View Post
I bought my Mapp gas torch at the orange box and i use the 1/8 flux coated rods in a tube from Lowes.They are only $8 and one tube is enough to do two frames.As far as flat metal for brackets and such,i go to my local recycling yard and get old washing machine lids.Its spring steel and easy to cut with tin snips.
What is the brand of the rods etc?
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
I bought all my stuff from HD. The torch from the local store and the LE braze from HD.com. The oxy/mapp setup is the way to go imo. The smaller head with the oxy takes less time to heat up the part and keeps the heat concentrated in a smaller area.

Lincoln Electric bought Harris so it is the same stuff when you get it from HD.com Also the oxy tanks feel empty but they are not. Light the torch using the map then turn on the oxy and adjust the flame from there. Do the reverse when turning the tanks off though. You will use about 3-4 oxy tanks for every mapp tank.

Well, I've tried to light the mapp tank, and it wont hold fire. The directions say to light the oxygen then add the mapp, but maybe they're backwards.
79cutlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #24
RCC Addict

The directions on the handle say to give the mapp tank about 1/16 of a turn light and adjust to get a 4" flame then add the oxy. The other day while working on the wifes car I needed a little heat on a part and never hooked up the oxy tank. Seems if you give it to much gas it blows out and never lights.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

I tried this kit first along with the Bernzomatic 4000 with MAPP tank. Then I bought a TO of Harris 45% 1/16th at my local welding supply store. I like the 1/16th better since you don't have to move so fast with the wire as it melts, but it flows a lot of solder in a hurry if you are doing really small sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Do you have an Ace Hardware close by? I bought this solder and flux just out of curiosity for $16. The only drawback is the solder is a bit thin, but I've almost built a complete chassis from one kit and I actually like the flux better than the Harris stuff. It's a good way to see if you like silver soldering without spending too much to get started.

The Mapp torch in the second post is perfect by the way.

1tenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Do you have an Ace Hardware close by? I bought this solder and flux just out of curiosity for $16.
FYI, I found this on Amazon for $7.89.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:
The directions on the handle say to give the mapp tank about 1/16 of a turn light and adjust to get a 4" flame then add the oxy. The other day while working on the wifes car I needed a little heat on a part and never hooked up the oxy tank. Seems if you give it to much gas it blows out and never lights.

Yes, I am a complete tool, not only can I NOT read, but I was giving to too much gas.. I finally got it figured out and had to come in here and admit my sillyness.

In my defense, the instruction manual DID say to light the oxy first. I should just did like I usually do and throw the instructions in the trash and read the tool.
79cutlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #28

Quote:
with the home depot el-cheapo mapp/o2 setup, i hold my torch (before lighting it...) to my ear and open up the o2 until i hear it barely coming out, then open up the map just a tad, then light.

you will save alot of o2 that way, AND you wont make a mess with the mapp soot.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Any one ever bought all your brazing tools from Home Depot or Lowes?

Looking to get into a lil brazing, Mig doesn't seem to work real well for most things this small in size. LOL

My local Menards has this: Propack™ Torch Kit at Menards

It's a nice simple Mapp setup with a few tips. Would this be a decent startup setup or should I grab a mapp/oxy setup?

I'll probably do a mix of steel tube/rod and some square tubing.

Edit: I found this also, http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha.../p-1451158.htm

So many choices, lol

Last edited by Devil Inc; 12-27-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Default Re: Any one ever bought all your brazing tools from Home Depot or Lowes?

Quote:
Do you have an Ace Hardware close by? I bought this solder and flux just out of curiosity for $16. The only drawback is the solder is a bit thin, but I've almost built a complete chassis from one kit and I actually like the flux better than the Harris stuff. It's a good way to see if you like silver soldering without spending too much to get started.

The Mapp torch in the second post is perfect by the way.

I just did a truggy using this!!!! It works very good!!! And it super easy you just have to make sure your joints are nice and tight.
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote