Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: At Home Powder Coating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: At Home Powder Coating

I have had a eastwood kit for about 12yrs the only thing I ever had problems with was the 2 stage chrome
I used a normal house stove out in my shop, a few guys here at work have made their own for doing chopper frames. They basically just welded two ovens side by side and would slide the chopper in on a big rack.

I would STRONGLY suggest getting a make shift paint booth with a filter and fan to catch all that dust. If you let it sit on something too long it is almost impossible to get off of it..I have to repaint my 81 prostreet cutlass because of it..
docsrcrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

I realize a spammer brought this to the top, however after reading it I must say...

DO NOT EVER POWDERCOAT IN AN OVEN YOU EAT FOOD OUT OF!!!!!11!!!11 YOU WILL DIE!

seriously though dont do it, its not safe. You can buy a used over for less than $100 and not be eating toxic paint dust with your dinner

I've used both the Sears and HF powderguns for years and they do a decent job.
79cutlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
RCC Addict

first off your part needs to be properly cleaned with a iron phosphate chemical to draw out any oils in the metal then properly ground then coated if its not cleaned properly it will not be as durable...i use a Gema OptiFlex2 gun box feed.
ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10tn View Post
first off your part needs to be properly cleaned with a iron phosphate chemical to draw out any oils in the metal then properly ground then coated if its not cleaned properly it will not be as durable...i use a Gema OptiFlex2 gun box feed.

Iron phosphate is a conversion coating used as a final etch and rust preventative, helps the powder to adhere better to properly cleaned parts, it by itself is not a degreasing agent. You can buy cleaner/degreasers mixed with a phospatizing agent, although in my experiance they don't work as will as separate 2 stage system. Gema guns are by far the best on the market, but the $6,000 price tag for an Optiflex2 box feed unit, makes it a little steep for a home unit. Prep work is key in all coating applications for sure.
Hacksaw707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw707 View Post
Iron phosphate is a conversion coating used as a final etch and rust preventative, helps the powder to adhere better to properly cleaned parts, it by itself is not a degreasing agent. You can buy cleaner/degreasers mixed with a phospatizing agent, although in my experiance they don't work as will as separate 2 stage system. Gema guns are by far the best on the market, but the $6,000 price tag for an Optiflex2 box feed unit, makes it a little steep for a home unit. Prep work is key in all coating applications for sure.
I Buy all my stuff through powder x which is who does all powder coating for spike tv example extreme 4x4 hot rod tv muscle car power block etc. I went to their facility for training on powder coating and they have a blend they sell that they done testing with that use a stem cleaner that sprays the chemical onto the part mixed with stem then let it set for 90 secs then rinse off with hot stem. Cleans the pours of the metal from oils etc after you have degreased it. Yes the gema gun is awesome I was using a Eastwood dual voltage gun and went to powder x for there training course and used the gema gun and it is crazy to how well it works so I got one. I don't have a big oven but big enough to do chopper frames atv frames etc...
ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10tn View Post
I Buy all my stuff through powder x which is who does all powder coating for spike tv example extreme 4x4 hot rod tv muscle car power block etc. I went to their facility for training on powder coating and they have a blend they sell that they done testing with that use a stem cleaner that sprays the chemical onto the part mixed with stem then let it set for 90 secs then rinse off with hot stem. Cleans the pours of the metal from oils etc after you have degreased it. Yes the gema gun is awesome I was using a Eastwood dual voltage gun and went to powder x for there training course and used the gema gun and it is crazy to how well it works so I got one. I don't have a big oven but big enough to do chopper frames atv frames etc...

I am familiar with Powder X's cleaner. I've been using Gema for 20 years, and have demoed most other major brands over the years, and owned some too, nothing comes close to Gema. Always buy good quality powders, from the major manufacture's stay clear of eastwood all together.
Hacksaw707 is offline   Reply With Quote

At Home Powder Coating - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powder Coating? Agama Colorado 6 06-13-2011 12:26 PM
Powder Coating at Home , (have you done it?) 4x4Crawler4LIFE Paint and Body 1 03-22-2008 07:44 PM
Powder Coating. Mule Tools, and Procedures 16 12-17-2006 12:14 AM