RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   Machinists Corner (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/371879-machinists-corner.html)

707offroad 03-17-2012 01:05 PM

Re: Machinists Corner

If you buy pinion/gear wire in 32 pitch I might want to buy a couple inches of any tooth count. I was looking yesterday at getting a couple different sizes and my wish list totaled over $200. maybe us machinists could do a group buy on a couple common sizes to make it worthwhile. anyone else want to make custom 32 pitch gears?

SMR 510RR 03-17-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 707offroad (Post 3634378)
If you buy pinion/gear wire in 32 pitch I might want to buy a couple inches of any tooth count. I was looking yesterday at getting a couple different sizes and my wish list totaled over $200. maybe us machinists could do a group buy on a couple common sizes to make it worthwhile. anyone else want to make custom 32 pitch gears?

Where were you looking?

I have found it at Precision Mechanical Components Timing Belts Pulleys Spur Gears Couplings Bearings Sprockets Retaining Rings Brakes Helical Gears Clutches Universal Joints and mcmaster has some too.

I was just going to get a foot of 12t 32p from mcmaster since I am putting together an order with them for some other stuff. That is if I can figure out a reliable way to hold it.

I need a lathe...Uh oh!

sloppy 03-17-2012 01:27 PM

For what its worth both Hobbyking and hobbypartz sell MOD 1 and 32P 5mm bore pinions for $2.50.. selection of size's is a little limited but for a Tcase project the options are pretty good.. the quality of the gears are good.

I cant imagine there would be huge savings at that price making it yourself..

SMR 510RR 03-17-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloppy (Post 3634402)
For what its worth both Hobbyking and hobbypartz sell MOD 1 and 32P 5mm bore pinions for $2.50.. selection of size's is a little limited but for a Tcase project the options are pretty good.. the quality of the gears are good.

I will have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up, I have been looking at the Robinson gears but they are a bit pricey when you want a bunch of them.

sloppy 03-17-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMR 510RR (Post 3634434)
I will have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up, I have been looking at the Robinson gears but they are a bit pricey when you want a bunch of them.

Yeah its kind of crazy what they are charging for that 5mm hole :lmao: Hell if it was a 1/8" hole you could get the same gear from RRP for about $3.. :roll:

BigSki 03-17-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloppy (Post 3634402)

Robinson Racing has a good selection of the 32P pinion gears. I've always been fascinated at gear cutting, I've never done it but it's one of those operations that I always wanted to learn how to do.

SMR 510RR 03-17-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSki (Post 3634677)
Robinson Racing has a good selection of the 32P pinion gears. I've always been fascinated at gear cutting, I've never done it but it's one of those operations that I always wanted to learn how to do.

Yea but at $10 a pop by the time you get the gears, bearings, and shafts you might as well have just bought a transfer case.

CREEPERBOB 03-18-2012 11:25 AM

Inspiration :mrgreen:;
Model Engineers—Jerry Kieffer, Harley Davidsons

Die-Laughing 03-18-2012 03:49 PM

Whoa.. that's some impressive work. tiny little parts"thumbsup"

Mr.Joshua 03-18-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB (Post 3635751)

Here's some more inspiration...this little 12 cylinder motor is NUTS! The video is about 4 minutes but worth watching, they edit it it so its kinda time elapsed.
The world's tiniest V12 engine. [VIDEO]

foratm 03-20-2012 09:06 AM

Quick question do any if you have a generalized print for 2.2 beadlocks? I just need something that has accurate measurements that are tested to fit most 2.2 tires mite specifically h.b. Sedonas and rovers. I'm not going to buy a set of slw's or something just to get measurements.
P.m. me thanks.

Sent from my over compensating smart phone.

dkf 03-23-2012 08:46 PM

Can't help you with the beadlock drawings, can only say what I would do. Axial beadlocks work pretty well on pretty much all tires.(as far as I know) I'd reverse engineer an axial beadlock. IE use a precision calipers and make a dimensioned drawing, by hand or via cad. The Axial wheels are cheap and you only need one. Will be good practice for other parts you will encounter.

foratm 03-24-2012 05:29 AM

That wouldn't be a problem but all I have is stock xr's that are beet to hell. I'm trying to find someone that will let me borrow their wheels for exact measurements but seems like everyone has either one set only or live to far away and would neef them before the next time we would meet. As for doing the reverse engineering that is my job description so won't be a problem. :thumbup:

sloppy 03-24-2012 08:41 AM

So you have stock axial wheels but need more?? Why does it really matter if they are "beat to hell"?? You should still be able to pull all the measurements you need pretty easy..

SlickRockSpider 03-24-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foratm (Post 3646538)
That wouldn't be a problem but all I have is stock xr's that are beet to hell. I'm trying to find someone that will let me borrow their wheels for exact measurements but seems like everyone has either one set only or live to far away and would neef them before the next time we would meet. As for doing the reverse engineering that is my job description so won't be a problem. :thumbup:

What kind of cad do you use. Or not. I will make a print. PM me as to your email and what type of file would you like this in.

sloopy: I dont believe he has any ax10 bead locks . (???)

Evan

foratm 03-24-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloppy (Post 3646664)
So you have stock axial wheels but need more?? Why does it really matter if they are "beat to hell"?? You should still be able to pull all the measurements you need pretty easy..

I guess I really don't need more but.... There is always a but.... I can't get the rings off with out tearing them up and right now they are my only wheels so I would be on hold until I made a set or got a back up set. Just trust me after I take them apart another time they will be done for good and I need done wheels for now. I posted in the wanted for a single wheel or extra cheap set just for that reason but no luck.
Which is why I asked for simple but accurate dimensions. Not your design or anything as I will produce my own.

CREEPERBOB 03-24-2012 11:30 AM

PM sent.

CREEPERBOB 03-25-2012 11:01 AM

square hole ;
Cutting square holes in aluminium using a Mill Drill - YouTube

SMR 510RR 03-25-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB (Post 3648417)

Damn you can see the deflection in his spindle!

CREEPERBOB 03-25-2012 02:33 PM

Another;
Drilling square holes ! - YouTube