Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: buying a welder soooon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 07:45 PM   #1

Default buying a welder soooon

hey, i want to buy a welder i have $655 but heres the deal. i need to be able to get my Revo 3.3 also which WONT be any more than $509 that drops me down to $146.00 my question is if i get this will it do the work for a while? i plan on stepping up to the next one (second link)
LINK 1
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40388
LINK 2
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6271
traxxas_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Or go between both of em,
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94056
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

after using both of those, i would say dont get either of them. save your money and get a lower end lincoln or miller 110 welder. they run around 300-400 bucks and will work great.
those HF ones are junk.
Shane
paranoid56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #4

that might be your opinion, i have a 12in. compound sliding mitre saw that i bought frm there for $200 and have had it for years and still works flawlessly.
I dont get why people put down other companies. i went to lowes and seen a Skill belt sander and needed one, it was $59 so i got it, the next week later i was in Sears and seen the same EXACT one but with the Craftsman name on it now what? u never know till you try it, they all work the same if i get a 115V frm HF or get a 115V frm miller they both will do the same thig there might be a big price difference because of brands but they still will work the SAME. what if you buy a low end miller and it goes out in a year? ya im sure u can send it back to the comp and have it fixed, What makes you think HF dosent do that? for a little price i can get a Lifetime Warranty same as miller electric.
(just showin my opinion no offence)
Jeff
traxxas_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Then go buy the piece of crap!!!! If you think you are buying something that will "still work the same" as a Miller or Lincoln welder, then go for it.

It is like buying a BMW and Yugo and saying they both do the same thing.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

In regards to Traxxas mans comment, alot of times companies do use the same internals (motors, drives, etc.), but with a fancier case, and charge you much more. For example, an angle grinder from some big-name hardware store that cost about $30 had (I believe)bushings in it. One from Harbor Freight that cost $15 dollars had higher quality needle bearings in it. Just goes to show you, looks can be deceiving (like that hot 'girl' that was actually a guy that was far away with long hair:-( ) Just kidding about that whole girl part.
john alardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

as for the welder, I would stay away from stick-only welders, or from large wire-feed machines that run on 220v. I bought my Century 100 gasless wirefeed Welder (110v) four years ago from a pawnshop for $100 bucks, and havent had any problems with it. Business close-outs/liquidations are also good places to look, but are rare. Keep your eyes peeled. If you dont, you might pass up a great deal.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Ok, I'm going to completely disagree with some of you for sure. Buy the biggest, high end machine you can buy, and if you can, get a 220v machine. You didn't say really what you're using it for, but for welding in general, 220 is the only way to go IMO. More power means thicker material in less passes, easier to use, and it's much easier for a machine to run on 220. That mig machine from harbor frieght for example, is only rated for steel up to 1/20" thick, my machine, a milliarc miller stick welder, has welded 1/4" wall tubing, on the upper end of it's low range setting no sweat. Go name brand, at very least Hobart (Miller's lower end brand, same machines, just less adjustments, or smaller adjustment ranges). A welder isn't something to cheap out on IMO, and if I had the cash, I'd have a 220v mig welder (Miller 210), but for now stick is A OK for me.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

wrong, not listening lalalalala (sticks fingers in ears), LOL just kidding.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I would not go with the HF welders...I've had two different ones from them, and both died after just over a year. (Just outside of HF's warranty period)

I don't remember which my first was, but my second was the one that ClodCrawlin posted. Total junk. No adjustments except for the HI/LOW switch.

As others have said, go with a name brand...I went for a Lincoln after the two HF's and haven't looked back. I actually ended up cutting up the outer steel case of one of them and using it to make a switch panel for my XJ.

-Destroyer
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxas_man
hey, i want to buy a welder i have $655 but heres the deal. i need to be able to get my Revo 3.3 also which WONT be any more than $509 that drops me down to $146.00 my question is if i get this will it do the work for a while? i plan on stepping up to the next one (second link)
LINK 1
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40388
LINK 2
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6271
no they wont, you will run into duty cycle problems all the time.......both would be throwing your money away.

You are gonna have to spend around 600.00 or better if you actually want to do any real welding.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:04 AM   #12
RCC Addict

if it is for hobby than a small 110 mig will be fine, go wth a Miller.

anything at Harbor freight or other cheap places are junk and will ruin your experience and wast your money and time.

and diuty cycle are over rated, even in our shop only the big 300 and 400 amp machines or 100% duty.

I actually seen a 250 volt Lincoln welder at a Home Depot awhile back for around $600, and it is perfect for the garage welder.

with 110 volt welders, use .023 wire, they run the best on that with a mix gas.

been doing this stuff for over 20 years, trust me.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:16 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE
if it is for hobby than a small 110 mig will be fine, go wth a Miller.

anything at Harbor freight or other cheap places are junk and will ruin your experience and wast your money and time.

and diuty cycle are over rated, even in our shop only the big 300 and 400 amp machines or 100% duty.

I actually seen a 250 volt Lincoln welder at a Home Depot awhile back for around $600, and it is perfect for the garage welder.

with 110 volt welders, use .023 wire, they run the best on that with a mix gas.

been doing this stuff for over 20 years, trust me.
Duty cyle is very important if you are really welding, I had lincoln, miller and clarke 110 units all with duty cycle around 25% to 35% andhave had em all shut down on me. I now have a snap-on 110 unit 140 amp, 100% duty cycle. trust me if you weld on 1:1 rigs the duty cycle ican be a pain in the azz
Old 07-20-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
Duty cyle is very important if you are really welding, I had lincoln, miller and clarke 110 units all with duty cycle around 25% to 35% andhave had em all shut down on me. I now have a snap-on 110 unit 140 amp, 100% duty cycle. trust me if you weld on 1:1 rigs the duty cycle ican be a pain in the azz
duty is more important in the 110 volt machine I won't even mess with them any more.

It's all about the 110 inverter TIG welders now.

that's why why prices have dropped dramatically in the last few years.

I have built more than one 1:1 rig and wouldn't even concider a 110 volt machine to do it. I had a Lincoln 250 180% duty for that.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE
duty is more important in the 110 volt machine I won't even mess with them any more.

It's all about the 110 inverter TIG welders now.

that's why why prices have dropped dramatically in the last few years.

I have built more than one 1:1 rig and wouldn't even concider a 110 volt machine to do it. I had a Lincoln 250 180% duty for that.
I sold my 250V Lincoln after I got the snap on. out performs it 2 times over and has the power to melt through 3/8" steel. Only prooblem is cost to replace the gunand liner...........OUCH!
Old 07-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
I sold my 250V Lincoln after I got the snap on. out performs it 2 times over and has the power to melt through 3/8" steel. Only prooblem is cost to replace the gunand liner...........OUCH!
I do know snap on makes some nice stuff, I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

140 amp is plenty to do tube work and stuff like that.

I had to run dual shield sometimes with side work on small beams, buckets, hangers and columns and needed a welder to handle .045

then I would change out to .030 or .035 for tube work and building rigs.

a 250 machine is to much for most people who build stuff in their garage anyways, it was a smart choice on your part.

Last edited by DUDE; 07-20-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

thank you for clarifying everything, Dude. 220v is not for everyone. we wont all be trying to build the 1:1 Oscar Weiner Mobiles that everyone else talks about with our 110v's, but make everyone else understand that.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:10 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I use a gassles wire feed welder from Harbor Freight, and I like it. It is perfect for building hobby projects. One of my friends has a SnapOn Muscel MIG or something like that. He also has the TIG attachment, and there is also a smaller part on the welder that you can remove and have a small welder to tote around with out rolling around a big machine.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:36 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I bought a cheapie unit similar to the ones at HF, it basicly sucked a$$. Don't get anything less than a Hobart handler 140(I have the older 135). I also have a miller Econo-tig which is awsome. I have had these machines for over 5 years with no problems.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:25 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodCrawlin
i have this welder but got it from them for $109 (factory refurbished) its been a good lil welder for me to learn on so far.

I just wanted something cheap that I could learn with before i spent 600-700.

its been good to me so far.
bulzeye is offline   Reply With Quote