Notices

Thread: Machining classes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Machining classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
Along with what Crawling Calvin has to say about safety, long hair can get sucked into machines as well. Even if your hair is short you should watch out for other people that come into your shop.
that and if you got curly hair youll be amazed what grows in it after a day of machining stuff... a baseball cap can save you a lot of fun with a comb after unless your spouse or GF feels like picking metal out of your hair like a monkey
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

My local junior college offers manual mill classes and manual lathe classes, and CNC classes and you take practice classes for a semester and use all the equipment you want, plus the offer welding classes and automotive classes, same thing with the welding classes you can use there welders, and the automotive offers engine rebuilding classes and thinking about pulling my 22R with Webber, and go to a hotter cam and a fresh rebore and some headers, and tear #### up. but it a semester is five months my truck can't be down that long and its about $4000 to have one installed but that's a basic rebuild engine, If I build it, its going to rip.

Last edited by kgb424; 12-17-2013 at 10:01 PM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #23
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb424 View Post
...its about $4000 to have one installed but that's a basic rebuild engine...
Not to get off topic here, but look into local engine shops in your area. You can still do most of the work yourself in your garage, and have them do the machine work. I rebuilt 2 that way for about $1K.

Now back on topic, I was looking into our local community college after this thread started, and was surprised at how many machining/CNC classes they offered. My job will pay for any classes I take, so maybe I'll do that for the Hell of it.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb424 View Post
My local junior college offers manual mill classes and manual lathe classes, and CNC classes and you take practice classes for a semester and use all the equipment you want, plus the offer welding classes and automotive classes, same thing with the welding classes you can use there welders, and the automotive offers engine rebuilding classes and thinking about pulling my 22R with Webber, and go to a hotter cam and a fresh rebore and some headers, and tear #### up. but it a semester is five months my truck can't be down that long and its about $4000 to have one installed but that's a basic rebuild engine, If I build it, its going to rip.
For that kind of money you could do a 5vzfe swap. I spent around a thousand dollars on my 5vzfe swap in my 95 straight axle 4runner. They are an awesome motor. My straight axle 4runner has a r151f tranny and I just used a 3.0 bell housing to mate the v6. My daily 4runner has a 5vzfe in front of an a340. I used to mess around with 20r, 22r, and 22re motors until I got my first 3.4l.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

the 5vzfe 3.4 is the v6 correct, it a 87 Toyota so it has the independent front suspenion, and I got a 1984 straight axle, with a fresh rebuild, Its a fun truck, with manual steering, but prefer the 87 better with power steering, not that into rock crawling, more of trail runner and winter driver. but a little more horse power under the hood wouldn't hurt. just not sure about the swap. kinda wanted to keep it 22r, just bought a new 2 barrel webber and installed my self and removed the smog crap and plugged of the exhaust ports for the removed egr valve, and had it tuned pretty close, took to the shop for fine tuning and adjustment, the guy said I wasn't that far off a little more tweaking and I would've had her dialed in, just didn't have the time to fine tune it.

Last edited by kgb424; 12-18-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Taking classes can be a lot of fun when you are older and not under all that pressure.

A few years ago I was unemployed for about a year, and decided to look into taking some photography classes at the community college. Uncle Sam was going to pay for it so I jumped right in. I was already a pretty competent photographer with a strong technical side, so all of the theoretical stuff was completely redundant for me. What was awesome was getting great feedback from the instructors and seeing all of my classmates work and the feedback they got. Plus there's networking and making new friends who are also photographers. Having a really well equipped darkroom to use pretty much whenever I wanted was pretty sweet as well.

There could be more benefits than just the obvious. Go for it!
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I took photography in high school, and really liked using black and white, and loading and developing my own film and pictures, now 35mm film is obsolete, and especially black and white, now all, you need is a professional digital camera and some professional developing software you can create black and white, and I got a Konica FS-1 with every available lens at the time of purchase, then my dad had a auto focus/auto zoom Pentex with Lcd display with extra lens for it too, they are both 35mm film camera's. I might be able to buy a digital camera body and still use some of the lens, but its like a $1000, can't afford to buy it and not use it and I have lost interest photography.

Last edited by kgb424; 12-25-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Machining classes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are the different classes 0lllllll0 General Crawlers 4 01-31-2011 07:51 PM
Classes Tyler Kadlec Competitions 5 02-12-2009 10:00 PM