Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Machining classes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Machining classes

Thinking of diving into machining but before I invest the $$ I'd like to know if classes are useful or will I learn it by just doing it ? I don't want to waste my time or money on classes when I could put that time and money into machining and tools. Thanks.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Machining classes

You'll learn by practice however I believe a class is beneficial. Machining equipment is expensive and can be dangerous. Learning from trial and error can ruin machines, parts and or cause injury. Just a basic class to understand how to set up machines, indicate and measure parts would help but you never can learn too much. There's tons of technique to learn and understand before you ever turn on a mill or lathe.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
Thinking of diving into machining but before I invest the $$ I'd like to know if classes are useful or will I learn it by just doing it ? I don't want to waste my time or money on classes when I could put that time and money into machining and tools. Thanks.
I have been learning cnc machining on my own. I had just a little bit of knee mill time at an old job. I bought Rhino 5, Rhinocam, mach3 and put together a gantry table, electronics, and computer myself. That was this spring and now I'm doing 4 axis machining from home. I ran into a few hiccups but overall it's pretty common sense stuff if you are mechanically inclined. For me learning cam has been the biggest hurdle. The cad has been really easy but cam has been a little more difficult. Writing a tool path is easy, writing a good tool path is a little more difficult. I am learning g code well enough now that I can write or edit code without too much trouble.

I'm sure you could learn some valuable tricks at school but it definitely isn't necessary to be able to mess around with your machine at home. If I had spent the money at school I wouldn't have been able to afford what I bought so I wouldn't change anything. I would rather have my machine than have had classes.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

I think it really depends on the type of person you are.

If you enjoy figuring things out, and like challenges then you would probably be fine with information you can get online.

If you're easily frustrated and want solutions handed to you then a class or two might get you on your feet quicker.

Information is always valuable and education is just as important as physical items.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I think it really depends on the type of person you are.

If you enjoy figuring things out, and like challenges then you would probably be fine with information you can get online.

If you're easily frustrated and want solutions handed to you then a class or two might get you on your feet quicker.

Information is always valuable and education is just as important as physical items.
I definitely agree with this. For me the journey of building up my table, learning about and building the control box, and building the computer was extremely satisfying. I know that some people wouldn't enjoy it though.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I agree with all the replies above.

Systematic education is important which happens in class.
The second method is trial and error. That happens when you directly jump onto a machine without anyone there to guide you. Its hard, but will make you learn in a way that you will never ever forget it through out your life. But you need to keep in mind that machines are dangerous. One major mistake, and you can be sitting with it for the rest of your life.

You should find classes that provide practical experience with theorotical knowledge.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Suck it up!

I'm self taught, though the MIT videos are awesome reference material. There is no doubt I would learn some things by taking some classes, but I'm not to worried about it at the moment.

The biggest thing is be safe, be patient, and don't try to jump into making badass intricate parts right off the bat. Spend lots of time familiarizing yourself with the machine, so that operating it becomes something you don't have to think too much about. I spent days doing nothing but squaring up scrap chunks of material before I ever tried to actually make something useful.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Suck it up!

Free MIT education
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I took machine shop in high school and my local jc. Take a couple classes! You'll learn more in the classes than you would learn by trial and error.

here are some examples: tool grinding, set up, feed rate, spindle speed, thread cutting, gear cutting, backlash adjustment, wobbler, broaching, surface grinding, heat treating, surface finish, measuring etc...

You will learn a lot more in the class than you'd ever learn by trial and error. It will save you money in the long run becuase you'll understand what tools you need and why you need them.
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Very nice I'm going to be consumed by those videos

I'm fairly patient and could learn on my own but I'm not versed in CAD or CAM so I might have to get some guidance. Thanks.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
Very nice I'm going to be consumed by those videos

I'm fairly patient and could learn on my own but I'm not versed in CAD or CAM so I might have to get some guidance. Thanks.
You can download a trial version of most cad programs before you buy. I tried out a couple that met my needs but I didn't like before I bought rhino. Remember, don't pay anywhere near list for cad/cam. Resellers will give huge discounts if you don't act thrilled with it. I watched the rhino videos online and was able to draw 3d parts immediately. It really isn't difficult. I know some companies will teach you how to use the software live on your desktop. Bobcad does this but their software wasn't right for me. Try before you buy!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Excellent comments so far, I 100% agree.

Duuuuuuuude added a great link, it's free other than time.

I had it a little easier (like some here), I took industrial arts in HS (way back when most schools had those programs..... most are gone now ) and then received some training in various jobs as well as "talked my way into using the shop when off the clock" at other jobs.

I'm not an expert, but I can make my way through a shop, mostly manual stuff but also CNC.

If you've never worked on the machines, some classes would be nice (maybe a local night/adult school which are usually inexpensive) to cover some basics and safety, then go from there. Check local tech schools or community colleges for classes.

(PS, industrial arts was usually: wood shop, metals, electrical/electronics, printing, small engine & auto shop..... most had several levels so you could learn a lot).
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I'm self and work-taught. CNC. But, the websites that I learned from don't exist anymore. I'm sure the info is still out there, though, if you're willing to do the searching to find it.

But, I wish I had just taken a couple classes. I would probably be making $4 more per hour, or more, now.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Talking Re: Machining classes

Coming from someone who took a class and then taught in it too... one thing that is handy about a class is you learn to do things RIGHT the FIRST time! I don't know how many "garage guys" would come in and have to relearn stuff. Sure their methods may have worked but efficiency or safety was lacking...

Right now I work in a prototype CNC shop where we don't do a lot of parts but what we do isn't necessarily run of the mill. I wish I could be at liberty to show what we do but due to the prototype nature of the parts I can't. That said however you choose to learn the biggest rules I have seen people break are:

SAFETY GLASSES! Trust me its the one time you don't wear them that you will wish you did. You only got 2 sets of eyes... so please protect them!

NO LONG SLEEVES/GLOVES! I have had my hand get sucked into a drill bit wearing nitrile gloves and I got lucky that the glove wrapped around the drill and ripped protecting my head. That was the last time I ever did that! Remember this if a glove or sleeve gets sucked in it won't tear and it WILL suck you in with potentiality bad results.

NO RINGS yea a simple wedding band can get caught and with bad results. Trust me ive heard enough old timers telling horror stories... its pretty gory!

Always remove a chuck key before starting a machine that uses one. make it a habit never to let go of it at any point... there are tons of stories of guys almost getting killed when they got left in... ive seen my fair share of close calls too

Lastly use common sense! if you think its not smart... eh maybe it isn't. If your really tired or under the weather don't think about working on something mega complex... it usually ends in disaster

If you do need any simpler help feel free to drop me a line and ill see what i can help you with. Hope I didn't scare you with the safety stuff its just in the few years of machining ive had enough close calls, accidents, and heard enough horror stories to know that a few tiny decisions can lead to really bad results.
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Hope I didn't scare you with the safety stuff its just in the few years of machining ive had enough close calls, accidents, and heard enough horror stories to know that a few tiny decisions can lead to really bad results.
Good that you brought them up. Industrial machines are silent killers. They have to be respected. I have seen my share of blunders. I always feel, physically we humans are too fragile to be broken by machines.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
I joined the Band!

I learned a lot of good skills in my beginner classes.

programming with g-code.
canned cycles.
Feeds and speeds.
material types.
indicating, tramming mills heads and vices.
grinding lathe tool bits, threading bits, and sharpen drill tips and endmills.
measuring techniques.
true position calculations.
deep hole drilling
gun drilling.
fly cutting
threading.
taping, cold and cut.
surface grinding.
heat treating.
roughing and finishing.
conventional vs climb cut, more important on manual equipment.
scribing.
part layout and inspection. granite plate work..
lapping.
cleanliness
safety

im probably forgetting some stuff, but i think classes were very good if you want to get a good understanding.

The leaning never stops, the way we can mow steel these days is silly compared to 20 years ago, even high speed machining techniques has made some big leaps.
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

I bought a cheap mill/lathe and taught myself. Read some off of the internet, watch a few videos and get started...with delrin until you are more comfortable. You will be your best teacher for the basics. Safety first.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
Good that you brought them up. Industrial machines are silent killers. They have to be respected. I have seen my share of blunders. I always feel, physically we humans are too fragile to be broken by machines.
I felt it had to be brought up. Safety can't be stressed enough... 20 HP doesn't care if it rips through your arm or a 4" cutter through steel... itll do some serious damage. Thankfully i haven't had any major accidents. I have managed to cut my finger on sharp edges before but that's a different story. In the end its like anything else, respect it and you should be ok
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@vp View Post
I learned a lot of good skills in my beginner classes.

programming with g-code.
canned cycles.
Feeds and speeds.
material types.
indicating, tramming mills heads and vices.
grinding lathe tool bits, threading bits, and sharpen drill tips and endmills.
measuring techniques.
true position calculations.
deep hole drilling
gun drilling.
fly cutting
threading.
taping, cold and cut.
surface grinding.
heat treating.
roughing and finishing.
conventional vs climb cut, more important on manual equipment.
scribing.
part layout and inspection. granite plate work..
lapping.
cleanliness
safety

im probably forgetting some stuff, but i think classes were very good if you want to get a good understanding.

The leaning never stops, the way we can mow steel these days is silly compared to 20 years ago, even high speed machining techniques has made some big leaps.
Interested in this myself. Did you take a class here in Sac Tom?
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Along with what Crawling Calvin has to say about safety, long hair can get sucked into machines as well. Even if your hair is short you should watch out for other people that come into your shop.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Machining classes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are the different classes 0lllllll0 General Crawlers 4 01-31-2011 07:51 PM
Classes Tyler Kadlec Competitions 5 02-12-2009 10:00 PM