Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Thinking about buying "The Makers Guide – Triple Edge Finder"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Question Thinking about buying "The Makers Guide – Triple Edge Finder"

Anyone have one of these? I can't spin my spindle slow enough to use a traditional edge finder. I have a digitizing probe that I love for certain things but that is less than ideal for just finding the edge. The Makers Guide seems perfect for indicating the stationary jaw of my vise which is what I would use it the most for. I already have a copper touch plate that I use for setting my Z. I just need something quick, easy, and accurate for indicating XY on my fixtures.

Here's a link: The Makers Guide - Triple Edge Finder - THE MAKERS GUIDE
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: Thinking about buying "The Makers Guide – Triple Edge Finder"

I had to do some searching to figure out what this thing is.

It looks like it would be great for non-conductive parts such as wood or plastics, but I don't see how it's beneficial for zeroing your vise (which I assume is already conductive). You would still have to plug this into Mach3 (not sure what else it works on) just like your probe.

Have you thought of using an electronic edge finder? Those require zero spindle speed (actually you aren't supposed to spin them at all) and you wouldn't have to plug in your probe.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I had to do some searching to figure out what this thing is.

It looks like it would be great for non-conductive parts such as wood or plastics, but I don't see how it's beneficial for zeroing your vise (which I assume is already conductive). You would still have to plug this into Mach3 (not sure what else it works on) just like your probe.

Have you thought of using an electronic edge finder? Those require zero spindle speed (actually you aren't supposed to spin them at all) and you wouldn't have to plug in your probe.
Thank you. I was being dense and not even thinking about the circuit being complete as soon as you set it on the vise. Do you have a link to the electronic edge finders that don't spin? The ones I looked at were made to spin. The other issue with some edge finders is that I have er11 collets so a 3/8" shank can't be used. My local machine shop is outrageous for customers that don't do a lot of business with them so getting the shank turned down is cost prohibitive.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

Not sure if you will find one smaller than 3/8". I have this one at home and it's 1/2":

https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...3188&category=

You could also use a Base Master and a gauge pin. We have this one at work. The base is magnetic so that it can be stuck to the jaw of your vise. Then just bring a known gauge pin to touch. Repeat for the other axis and you are done.

High Precision Compact Sensor - Base Master - BIG Kaiser

How slow can your spindle go?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not sure if you will find one smaller than 3/8". I have this one at home and it's 1/2":

https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...3188&category=

You could also use a Base Master and a gauge pin. We have this one at work. The base is magnetic so that it can be stuck to the jaw of your vise. Then just bring a known gauge pin to touch. Repeat for the other axis and you are done.

High Precision Compact Sensor - Base Master - BIG Kaiser

How slow can your spindle go?
99% of the time my vise has aluminum soft jaws on it but I could still manually hold the base master to it. If I'm going to do that I might as well just machine a copper plate with a delrin back and touch off it. My spindle and VFD are rated for 8000-24000rpm. I have manually reprogrammed the VFD to take out the lower limit and regularly use it done to around 4000rpm. I guess I could try spinning it down to 1000rpm for an edge finder since there won't be any load on it. It kind of scares me though. Maybe its worth a shot.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

PT28314 Edge Finder

A standard 3/8" edge finder fits into this adapter and allows you to grip it with your er11's. Just have to get your spindle into the 1200-1500 range.
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

24K RPM spindle?? I know that I've seen basic laser pointers that get chucked up into a collet. Maybe one of those could work? Shine the beam at the edge you want to zero to?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_b View Post
PT28314 Edge Finder

A standard 3/8" edge finder fits into this adapter and allows you to grip it with your er11's. Just have to get your spindle into the 1200-1500 range.
That's the problem he's having though...can't get the spindle speed down low enough. If he could, this would also be an option since you can get an ER-11 in 1/4".

https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...1961&category=
Old 06-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
PT28314 Edge Finder

That's interesting. I hadn't seen those before. Do they induce any additional runout? That would allow me to use an electronic (non spinning) edge finder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
24K RPM spindle?? I know that I've seen basic laser pointers that get chucked up into a collet. Maybe one of those could work? Shine the beam at the edge you want to zero to?
Yes sir, 24000rpm max. I use that speed often too. I knew about the laser pointer but I don't see how they would be accurate enough. It seems like there would be a decent margin of error.
Quote:
That's the problem he's having though...can't get the spindle speed down low enough. If he could, this would also be an option since you can get an ER-11 in 1/4".

https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...1961&category=
With that adapter I wouldn't have to spin the spindle at all since I could use an electronic edge finder like you mentioned earlier. I have to decide if I want to go that route or risk spinning my spindle slow enough for the audible edge finder. Even though there is no load I'm assuming spinning it that slow is going to generate heat quickly. It is water cooled so maybe it would be OK?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

What kind of mill do you have? How do others set their X/Y zero?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
Suck it up!

You don't have to rely on the audible feature. It'll still tell you where the edge is at once it shifts off-center. I don't know that I've ever heard mine make any noise.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

What about making or buying a probe?

One such hobby grade model...

Wildhorse Innovations - Econo-Probe 3D Probe & Tool Height Setter
Old 06-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What kind of mill do you have? How do others set their X/Y zero?
Its a home brew 2+' x 4' gantry style router table with a 2.2kw spindle and a 4th axis. Its all built out of 80/20 and mic6 with ball screws (2x on the y) and supported linear rails. I did all of it including building the electronics box and wiring. It has 2x power supplies, a g540, plus a second breakout board and 2x g251x drivers. With 6 drivers I'm all setup to add the 5th axis when that time comes. Its a pretty capable machine. I don't think that most people with a router table need to XY as accurately as I need to since most don't have a 6" machine vise on their tables. For instance, when cutting carbon fiber on the table you just rapid over to where you want to start cutting and zero the work coordinantes. Since I machine plastics and aluminum in fixtures I need to precisely zero my work/fixture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
You don't have to rely on the audible feature. It'll still tell you where the edge is at once it shifts off-center. I don't know that I've ever heard mine make any noise.
I know I don't need to rely on the audible feature. I just was trying to clarify that I was talking about the mechanical edge finder and not the electronic version.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What about making or buying a probe?

One such hobby grade model...

Wildhorse Innovations - Econo-Probe 3D Probe & Tool Height Setter
As I said in the first post I already have a digitizing probe. Its actually how I'm currently zeroing my work. Unfortunately I find it less than ideal. Its great for some things, digitizing included, but for setting zero you need to make sure that its always adjusted to zero runout. When you digitize an object with it the runout isn't as critical since you are measuring relative to other points. When you use it to set zero it has to be perfectly adjusted since the measurement needs to be relative to the spindle, not just other points on an object.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

So you want me to read?

Good info though. I've always thought I needed one. I just use a mechanical edge finder myself.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So you want me to read?

Good info though. I've always thought I needed one. I just use a mechanical edge finder myself.

They are definitely a nice tool to have. You should pick one up even if its just to play with. One of the things I want to get into is machining molds for rc wings and boat hulls. I'm looking forward to trying out the probe for this. I can use it to directly import a points cloud into rhino and then manipulate the points cloud to my liking before I machine the new mold.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
Web Wheeling

We have 3 CNC routers at work with 24k spindles, that all run down to 800 rpm without any issues.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote

Thinking about buying "The Makers Guide – Triple Edge Finder" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
guide to xr10 "! NOTE DIRECTION" captain.roche Axial XR10 2 09-17-2010 12:05 PM
" Motors Guide for Dummies" TwistedCreations General Crawlers 3 05-10-2004 05:17 AM