Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Anyone using makerbot or something of the like?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 01:49 AM   #1

Default Anyone using makerbot or something of the like?

If so, would like to know what kind of parts have you been crafting and how does the plastic hold up to the rigors of the sport?
trailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone using makerbot or something of the like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhunter View Post
If so, would like to know what kind of parts have you been crafting and how does the plastic hold up to the rigors of the sport?
I'm using a Makerbot Replicator Dual, and all of my products can be found on my website (I won't post the link here, but it should be easy to find...)

I've tried a few different plastics, and ABS is fine for most things, but not really great for anything that will see some good abuse or high stress. Most of my parts that will see that are made from a special formula of Nylon which holds up great. I have yet to have a single report of one of my nylon parts breaking. It takes a lot more set-up, and is definitely harder to print than ABS, but much stronger, but still has its limitations as well.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #3

Thats clean dude, if I need parts fabricated, can I PM you?
trailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've been using a 3D printer for the past 9 months. My 3D models are getting better, which in turn makes a nicer 3D part. I use PLA as a fill material so it can be dissolved away after the part is finished. The lab where the printer is located has a hot tank of a solution that is basically 'draino' pipe cleaner that is used for that purpose.

The parts that you can make are only limited ( for the most part ) to your imagination and the software that you use to make your model.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
RCC Addict

One thing to remember from an outersiders perspective as a machinist is the coloration between speed and part quality. By speed I mean not just the rate at which you add or subtract material but the step size you use. That and just how good your machine is at accurately repeating what it did before.

While not very cheap DLP printers make the best models of all since your using liquid but it is very expensive to get into sadly compared to a filament printer but the price is dropping.

All in all it is just something you got to be willing to put the time and effort into! I myself am looking at a printer but right now other stuff has gotten in the way that said if your willing to put the time and effort in and realize that at first you won't have an award winning piece but your willing to learn from mistakes and past issues then your well on your way to good parts.
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Because of Dravpnir works I have been looking at Shapeways to get some stuff printed.
They have this "strong & flexible" plastic that I think is nylon based.
I don't know how well it will hold screws. (making 2.5mm holes and just putting 3mm screws on)...
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
One thing to remember from an outersiders perspective as a machinist is the coloration between speed and part quality. By speed I mean not just the rate at which you add or subtract material but the step size you use. That and just how good your machine is at accurately repeating what it did before.

While not very cheap DLP printers make the best models of all since your using liquid but it is very expensive to get into sadly compared to a filament printer but the price is dropping.

All in all it is just something you got to be willing to put the time and effort into! I myself am looking at a printer but right now other stuff has gotten in the way that said if your willing to put the time and effort in and realize that at first you won't have an award winning piece but your willing to learn from mistakes and past issues then your well on your way to good parts.
Excellent post.

From what I have seen many cheap filament printers have a resolution greater than what is actually repeatable. Just because it has fine resolution doesn't mean the next layer is going to be oriented correctly on the previous layer.

I would love to have a 3d printer but I have made an agreement with myself to wait until I can afford a dlp printer. I know that I'm not going to be happy with a filament printer.

When it comes right down to it, if I could afford a dlp machine I would probably be better off investing in an injection molding machine at that price level.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
Excellent post.

From what I have seen many cheap filament printers have a resolution greater than what is actually repeatable. Just because it has fine resolution doesn't mean the next layer is going to be oriented correctly on the previous layer.

I would love to have a 3d printer but I have made an agreement with myself to wait until I can afford a dlp printer. I know that I'm not going to be happy with a filament printer.

When it comes right down to it, if I could afford a dlp machine I would probably be better off investing in an injection molding machine at that price level.
I am starting to think a DLP would be better for what I am going to do too since I want to make highly detailed figures and parts as mold masters for my model train hobby you obviously need a high quality master and sitting there for 4 hours polishing up a detail part to make it work isn't exactly my idea of a fun time.

As for Shapeways "flexible" stuff I had something printed in it and it didn't turn out to great. So my orientation wasn't the best but i'd be careful with how well it will hold fine pitch screws. It would hold coarse pitch screws ok. you may want to play around with reinforcing the area with CA glue since the material seems to be a tad spongy in looks.
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
I am starting to think a DLP would be better for what I am going to do too since I want to make highly detailed figures and parts as mold masters for my model train hobby you obviously need a high quality master and sitting there for 4 hours polishing up a detail part to make it work isn't exactly my idea of a fun time.
Exactly the drawback that I currently deal with, even when I use the commercial quality 'Uprint' machine in the engineering lab. I've spent literally hours of 'body work' using Squadron green putty and high build primer to get a glossy,smooth finish so that I could cast a rubber mold off of the part to make resin copies.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone using makerbot or something of the like? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3d printer (Makerbot) mmatthews Chit Chat 21 12-08-2012 10:31 AM
Anyone here played with a MakerBot or Airwolf 3D printer? Thorsteenster Chit Chat 4 11-24-2012 09:57 AM
Makerbot Ind. - CupCake CNC pigeonfarmboy Tools, and Procedures 19 02-17-2012 01:10 PM