Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Making Solid Links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #1

Default Making Solid Links

I built a Clod-Tuber out of steel brake line. The main part of the chassis is very solid. The links however are kinda weak. It doesn't help I'm using a 5 1/2 pound sla battery.

The rear links are fine but the front lower links have buckled (more proof a heavy rock crawler shouldn't jump rockpiles). Snapped one of the rod ends.

My questions is could someone post detailed instructions on making solid links with rod ends. I would really apreciate it.
bobbythebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Built, not bought

Here's a post Christmas(or other holiday) freebie.

http://www.rccrawler.com/customlink.htm

Pat
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response. What diameter rod is he using? Is there any way to die the ends of the rod without having to drill?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythebrain
It doesn't help I'm using a 5 1/2 pound sla battery.
Huh?

Why fix the link issue without fixing the heavy-a$$ battery problem?
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. What diameter rod is he using? Is there any way to die the ends of the rod without having to drill?
If you try to die the ends it is nowhere near as strong as using studs,since your truck is heavy it will just snap the end off if you try to thread the rod.Hope this helps!
zukifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

if you want strong *** links do this. make the link what ever lenght you need, then use traxxas link ends. the take so 5/16" brakeline and cut it to go over the shoulder of the link end. i did this and i'll be damned if i can break them
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

I use #8 all thread and 1/4" brake line as a sleeve. Running the 1/4" line only over the all thread will bend pretty easy,but it works great for upper links that aren't drug through the rocks all day. On my lowers only and steering linkage,I run the #8 all thread,1/4" brakeline and then sleeve the 1/4" line with 5/16" brakeline. Super strong and has held up really well for me. You'd probly be O.K. with this set up. I've been known to get a bit rough with my truck at times Links are one thing I've not had much trouble out of

You gotta run good link ends as well if you don't wanna worry about them. Seems kinda silly to me to run a heavy duty link and cheesy ends or visa versa. The Traxxass ends aren't up for constant beating. They are cheap,easy to get and they do work,but they will wear out quickly or break rapidly. Right now,my truck has mostly traxxass ends on it.....I usually break 1 or 2 everytime out. When my spares run out,I'll try to find a better end.

Long time ago I built links out of 1/2" steel tube and use 1/4" heim joints from a race car shop. CRAZY overkill if you ask me. If you want steel or aluminum end links,theres a thread here with TONS of options. Thanks to SR5Dave,he compiled a HUGE list and made a thread with links for metal rod ends. A quick search in the General section will bring it up
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #8

Thanks for the info, I'll give all your suggestions a shot especially the last one.

I know the big battery sounds a little much, but I get em for under 20 bucks and they run for 30-40 minutes. Not to mention they run much faster than a tiny 2.5Ah.

It's my first homebrew RC project and I'm having a lot of fun with it.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I'll give all your suggestions a shot especially the last one.

I know the big battery sounds a little much, but I get em for under 20 bucks and they run for 30-40 minutes. Not to mention they run much faster than a tiny 2.5Ah.

It's my first homebrew RC project and I'm having a lot of fun with it.
What specs? For 3 times the runtime and less money, you can buy 8 rechargable cell packs and make a battery pack.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:19 PM   #10
RCC Addict

30-40 minute run times isn't all that impressive in the RC Crawler world.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
30-40 minute run times isn't all that impressive in the RC Crawler world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak
What specs? For 3 times the runtime and less money, you can buy 8 rechargable cell packs and make a battery pack.

Really depends on his set up. For most though,it's not that impressive. I get about 30 minutes outta mine. But I got a tall gear,twice and/or 3 times the motor most run and a very heavy finger.....so,my run times suffer. Am I concerned?

Nope.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:00 PM   #12

I'm running stock axles/motors/tires, super duty esc, hitec 645 for steering.

I thought most guys are getting 10 or 15 minutes. The last time I ran it around the house and up and down the road a few time at 15 mph for about 30 minutes.

The batteries I'm using are UPS batteries. 12 volt, 7.2Ah. I charge them with an automobile batt charger (smart charger for gel cells).

I ran it before on a 1500mAh flat pack and it sucked it down in like 10 minutes and it didn't run with nearly the speed or power it has now.

What is a typical battery setup? How much run time (crawling or bashing around)?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:06 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Ah, so you want speed.....................then continue with what you have.

If you want to crawl, high turn, low RPM motors are what most go with................and these things run long run times.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #14

Gotcha...The speed thing was by accident I was really looking for more power out of the stock motors for climbing/crawling. Eventually I'lll change out the motors and gears.

Are the batts that I have still going to be efficient?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
Really depends on his set up. For most though,it's not that impressive. I get about 30 minutes outta mine. But I got a tall gear,twice and/or 3 times the motor most run and a very heavy finger.....so,my run times suffer. Am I concerned?

Nope.
Apples and oranges. If you're running some sort of high turn crawling motor and were only getting 30 mins out of it, you've got something wrong in your system there.

Lower turn motors I can understand. I'm lucky to get 20 mins out of my 2 3600mah packs on my bl emaxx (feigao 9xl), but it sure does go damn fast in that 20 mins.

Last edited by Cloak; 12-27-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #16

Sorry about jumping subjects in this thread...

I'm gonna weigh it tommorrow on a mail scale. My bet is that it's not much over 10 pounds.

But it seems to me that a little weight isn't too bad when trying to crawl. At least low centered weight.

So this way I have the best of both worlds it goes fast and it has the power to crawl. Sound feasable?