Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: The Brood Shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default The Brood Shop

Meant to start one of these for a while....but just never got around to it, but with new additions with the shop, I figured it was time to start one.

This arrived last friday....it has some decent upgrades (power drawbar, Additional HS spindle, Fogbuster, etc). I could not work the tool changer or 4th axis into my budget, nor was the new rapidturn announced when I ordered it...but hopefully those are upgrades I can add in the future as products move out the door.

Already started setting it up, which was a bit nerve racking getting the machine onto the stand.... Had a defective foot on the stand (replacement arrives today) and the rest of the tooling should arrive next week.

Need to finish the stand, install the splash guards, install the power draw among other things still....but should be rocking by next weekend.

Still a few things to buy...but I have enough to start making parts. I have been going to school since winter getting my degree in precision machining and manufacturing technology...

I'll continue to update this thread and such, along with my other machines in the shop...time for big things!

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: The Brood Shop

Nice! I'm also interested in the RapidTurn, but I'm not sure about the open motor sitting there since I use full flood coolant.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looking forward to updates. I'd never seen the RapidTurn before, pretty cool. Check out the InTurn on youtube it uses a servo vs the AC motor.
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Nice! I'm also interested in the RapidTurn, but I'm not sure about the open motor sitting there since I use full flood coolant.
I am not 100% sold on it either, it looks cool but I think their are some big limitations on it...looks cool though. I still would rather just have a bigger better lathe than my current one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_b View Post
Looking forward to updates. I'd never seen the RapidTurn before, pretty cool. Check out the InTurn on youtube it uses a servo vs the AC motor.
The rapidturn literally just got announced like last week....

I knew I had seen something like it before, but I could not remember the name...sure looks like a better unit since it fully indexes unlike the rapidturn.

I'll be doing my best to update as I get stuff up and running....In the process of selling my g0704, as I really don't have room for it nor do I know what I would really need it for at this point. Kinda sucks because I never really used it much since I never figured out all the quirks with it. I just had started working on figuring them out when the chance to get this fell in my lap...

After the mill updates, I will do one on the lathe, surface grinder, laser engraver/cutter....I have some cool stuff

Later EddieO
Old 06-11-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
I am not 100% sold on it either, it looks cool but I think their are some big limitations on it...looks cool though. I still would rather just have a bigger better lathe than my current one...
I'd really like to get the 15L Slant-PRO lathe (I'm a big Tormach fan) but the cost is pretty high for me since I don't do much turning. The RapidTurn can do threading which is a big one for me, and the price is much more reasonable at this time. I'll see how taxes look at the end of the year and maybe pick one up.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i really like the looks of the tormach machines. check out this youtube channel, this guy really seems to know whats up with these machines, and does a lot of cad/cam tutorial stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/saunixcomp
BrazinScaleRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'd really like to get the 15L Slant-PRO lathe (I'm a big Tormach fan) but the cost is pretty high for me since I don't do much turning. The RapidTurn can do threading which is a big one for me, and the price is much more reasonable at this time. I'll see how taxes look at the end of the year and maybe pick one up.
The tormach 15l doesn't get the best reviews....they did some weird stuff to it. I'd like to get one of the GT series mills like a few of the youtube guys have....very capable machines, don't show up very often used though and are not cheap new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazinScaleRC View Post
i really like the looks of the tormach machines. check out this youtube channel, this guy really seems to know whats up with these machines, and does a lot of cad/cam tutorial stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/saunixcomp
I have been following NYCNC for years....ever since he started in his bedroom in NY....him and a few others have really created cool businesses with just a simple mill and built from there....I am gonna be starting a youtube series as well....traded for a bunch of gopros so I can film all the cool stuff.

Later EddieO
Old 06-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Little less talky, little more making cool stuff.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Cool, well I will have a new channel to watch once you start.
BrazinScaleRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I am workin on it! I got it all on the floor with the feet and leveled... Installing the sides and such tonight...rest of parts come today and tomorrow, so I can hook up the power drawbar and coolant system. Finished the controller install last night... Just bought the card and software and installed on a couple years old dell, total cost less than $200... Instead of $750 from tormach...

Sold the grizzly mill to the first guy who showed up for my asking price...he is gonna use it to make Star Wars themed pit pipes... Heh.

Other new stuff coming tonight as well

Later EddieO
Old 06-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Since I sold the Grizzly and another piece of surplus equipment, I finally made the jump and bought a full kennedy tool box set. I found it on CL from a lady who's dad had passed for a really good deal. It's basically new....looks like he barely used it. I already have a kennedy top, so I can add it to the top of this one, as they are meant to hold two if needed.

Later EddieO
Old 06-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Some progress. Got all the sides on it, which were much more of a pain than I thought they would be. A few of the screws are in extremely dumb spots that are nearly impossible to reach. Luckily my son and nephew have skinny arms and small hands....

Up next is the oiler, coolant systems, chip guard, USB ports and installing the computer controller.....along with the powerdraw bar. (about a 2 hour project itself).

Will be cutting stuff hopefully by the end of the weekend.

Later EddieO
Old 06-21-2016, 12:07 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Its running....had a few hiccups during assembly along with a busy weekend...Got the draw bar all installed, just need to finish the fogbuster....waiting on some coolant as well.

Tomorrow install the vice and indicate it in...along with starting to setup tools and such....gonna be a fun day! Will probably run a simple program or two just to cut something

Later EddieO
Old 06-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #14
RCC Addict

it is not good to be having so much fun .....
it might make you might live longer
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #15
No idea what I'm doing

Did you get the compressor from Tormach as well? I'd like to get the Power Drawbar someday and thought of getting that compressor early, and was surprised that Tormach was actually cheaper than some other places I found.

I need it in my basement so noise is a consideration which is why I'm looking at that particular compressor.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I did get the compressor. While its quiter than my hitachi of similar size, its not a huge difference....its still loud. A friend has one of their other models though and its really quiet compared to this one...

You have a tormach?

Later EddieO
Old 06-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #17
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:

You have a tormach?

Later EddieO
I've had a 770 in my basement for about 5 years now. I love it.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:05 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've had a 770 in my basement for about 5 years now. I love it.

Ah very cool...the powerdraw bar is worth it in my opinion. It was a pretty easy install on my machine, older machines take some extra work due to the screw locations and such needing to be drilled from what I am told.....5 second tool changes make it all worth it.

I had to move some stuff around in the garage, but I finished installing everything, I just need to pick up some air tool oil for the filter regulator....cutting stuff today once I fill up the coolant systems...I used the advice of a few of the other tormach users on youtube and got some extreme cut 290...best part was, got a 5 gallon bucket for free! They have a pretty liberal sample program, even knowing that this much coolant will last me 1-2 years even if I cut a lot. I am already working at upgrading the coolant system.....its leaves a lot to be desired, even the newest version.

Later EddieO
Old 07-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Sorry its been a few weeks. Whats funny, I was super confident I would have this thing up and running in a week or two, got told by many don't be surprised if it takes a month!...well, its taken about a month!

First I had an issue with my vise....I had called and made sure it would fit. Well, while it technically fits size wise, the way it clamps down it does not....after checking out some videos of people using similar vises, turns out they use a plate to mount it to. Problem is that plate needs to be pretty thick aluminum and a bunch of work to get it right...so I went hunting for a Kurt Vise on craigslist. Found a local guy selling brand new ones for $400 (cheapest I could find online was $525 plus shipping). So got that, got it all setup...very nice. I will need to modify the shield in the front for the vise screw, but my laser cutter will make quick work of that.

Been super busy with school and orders, but decided to pop for the 4th axis setup.

Should let me make some much cooler stuff with easier setups. My teacher at college in my mastercam class is going to change up some of my assignments to make RC parts using the 4th axis. Mastercam is a steep learning curve, but at worst I will have it as an option to fusion 360.

So far, I have not actually cut anything, just did some test movements.........summer quarter in college is brutal, as they are shoving an entire quarter worth of work into an 8 week period....hopefully this weekend I will have some basic stuff to cut with mastercam stuff I have made...

I have been taking video of stuff and pictures. Hopefully start the youtube video soon as well....

Did I mention the new brood brushless motors came too? :P

Later EddieO
Old 07-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Did I mention the new brood brushless motors came too? :P

Later EddieO
I need dems for my clodbustas.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote