Rock Crawler

Default x-acto option

Just ordered mine.

JConcepts New Release – Precision Hobby Knife Handle w/Storage – JConcepts Blog
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2016, 09:20 PM   #2

Default Re: x-acto option

I saw this and was excited. X-Acto's tend to loosen in my experience. But $30 for just this handle is crazy. I'll pass.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I mean, it looks cool and all, but "5 piece design"? I think JC forgot to KISS...

I do like the screw on blade cover, but I'm skeptical about storing blades in the handle. If I dumped the blades out into my hand like I do with bits stored in the handle of my ratcheting screwdriver, I would probably have to carry around a roll of gauze bandages at the track or in my garage. That just seems like too much of a hassle compared to going to my toolbox and grabbing a new blade out of a 100 pack...
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

I'd be interested in how fat the handle is. I like the idea of storing blades in the handle, but wouldn't want it to feel like I'm holding a bread stick. I don't care for the large X-Acto brand knives for this same reason.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Got it last week this thing is NICE. Machining is excellent and I love the size. Bigger than a standard handle but not too big. Money well spent for me.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Now that photobucket is working again.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
Sounds nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I saw this and was excited. X-Acto's tend to loosen in my experience.
x2, all X-Actos tend to loosen at the worst time ime, the best have been the type with tail mounted bladed tightening screw. Problem with these was the plastic body would bulge out and crack when the rear thumbscrew was tightened enough to properly hold the blade. I fixed this by cutting proper length of brass tubing to replace the plastic housing. Made my own washer to go between tail mounted thumbscrew and brass tube body, filed flats on four sides so knife won't roll off table when I set it down. Plastic press fit blade cap is really lame and tends to fall off in my toolbox, resulting in dull blade and bloody fingers sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro racer View Post
I mean, it looks cool and all, but "5 piece design"? I think JC forgot to KISS...

I do like the screw on blade cover, but I'm skeptical about storing blades in the handle. If I dumped the blades out into my hand like I do with bits stored in the handle of my ratcheting screwdriver, I would probably have to carry around a roll of gauze bandages at the track or in my garage. That just seems like too much of a hassle compared to going to my toolbox and grabbing a new blade out of a 100 pack...
Looks nice to me as long as handle is not too fat and blade is actually held tight even when putting extreme pressure on the blade while rolling and cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I'd be interested in how fat the handle is. I like the idea of storing blades in the handle, but wouldn't want it to feel like I'm holding a bread stick. I don't care for the large X-Acto brand knives for this same reason.
X2

EDIT: Looking at the parts again, I dont' see how this is much different than X-Acto original setup to hold the blade.
Should have designed in o-rings to keep the blade cap from unscrewing in your toolbox.

:/

Last edited by Natedog; 11-01-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I've never had a single problem with the same (VERY well used) fat exacto handle I've been using for about 5 years. Why fix what isn't broke?
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Word. I found a whole hobby-knife set (made in USA) in the good-ol' Hobby Lobby for $30 - With a wooden storage case, no less... It has 3 separate handles and several blades for cutting whatever your heart desires. For $30 and made in USA, I couldn't pass it up. I've trimmed several pieces of lexan for windows, and it seems to be of good quality.
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I like the excel exacto knife that rpp sells.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote

x-acto option - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire option Frigid River Venture Tires and Wheels 2 12-14-2015 02:49 AM
Free Sample of X-Acto Z-Series #11 blade GameOverRG Chit Chat 32 02-19-2012 11:17 AM
Whats The Best Option For Motor And Speed Control For The Ax-10? Price Is No Option!! BASSPROKVD Axial AX-10 Scorpion 33 11-19-2007 12:40 AM