Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Machining question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #21
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: Machining question

That's a clean looking knee mill. Do you have any other pictures of the space? I'm kind of a geek when it comes to checking out other shops.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
That's a clean looking knee mill. Do you have any other pictures of the space? I'm kind of a geek when it comes to checking out other shops.
X2!

Always interested to see other peoples work spaces
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
X2!

Always interested to see other peoples work spaces
No pics, but hers's a link to the place, there's some general pics of the overall maker space. Pretty nice facility to have access to in the Baltimore area.

Home - The Foundery
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Got the jaws finished today. I had to make an undercut clearance for the head of the spike to clear a moving part in the jaw, but overall it's going to work out just fine. I'll go back tomorrow and start cutting up the spikes.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:07 AM   #25
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
No pics, but hers's a link to the place, there's some general pics of the overall maker space. Pretty nice facility to have access to in the Baltimore area.

Home - The Foundery

So basically you buy a membership and can use the equipment? Id never be home.

I like the hat/coat rack idea though, is that what you're making?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #26
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Got the jaws finished today. I had to make an undercut clearance for the head of the spike to clear a moving part in the jaw, but overall it's going to work out just fine. I'll go back tomorrow and start cutting up the spikes.
Lets see the undercut! I was wondering how you were going to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Do you have Maker Spaces in your neck of the woods? They're pretty popular here...we have a pretty nice one in Boulder and a really nice one in my hometown of Longmont.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #27
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Do you have Maker Spaces in your neck of the woods? They're pretty popular here...we have a pretty nice one in Boulder and a really nice one in my hometown of Longmont.

If I wanna learn how to solder , no real equipment ones like those yet.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post

I like the hat/coat rack idea though, is that what you're making?
This maker space offers a one day pass ($50) or a monthly pass ($150) but in order to use any of the equipment, you have to take one of their "training" classes for the equipment. I was working every other Sunday at this one, I was approached by the owner to teach a basic mill and lathe safety class to people who have never even seen one these pieces of equipment. As I laid out how I thought the basic classes should go, I was told that I needed to make it happen in (1) 3hr class. I couldn't agree to that out of pure safety concerns. I'm guessing its why I no longer work there.

I had to sit through the class that was taught by the equipment salesman that sold them the lathe and mill before I was "qualified" to use it. I just found it ironic that I was able to use the equipment prior and that I was qualified enough to turn out some parts for them but when I wouldn't get on board with a 3 hr intro class, suddenly I didn't know enough to use the equipment.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

For Juan, sorry it took me so long to click a few pics. I'll get a clear pic of the under cut the next time I have the jaws out. I basically did a mass clearance where the spike head would be, then a 45* chamfer on the edge.

the finished product.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #30
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I don't know if you are still updating this thread but, just a thought. Couldn'you just use a stop on the vice jaw? Use an edge finder to locate center of first spike and remaining spikes would be close enough. On the 45 degree problem, it's very simple trig (is any trig simple.) Mark your center of your groove where you want it. Line up edge of cutter just so it will start cut on centerline with part at 45 deg. I like to use X axis on mill for moving because it is powered on mine. To keep cut centered move Y axis in the same amount as you come down on Z axis. Because you are using edge of cutter for aligning, it doesn't matter what diameter it is, as long as it is wide enough for cut. If Z does not have a readout for movement, lock in position and move the knee up instead. All mills I have worked with have readouts on the dials that can be set to zero, even the knee. Depending on tollerance you are trying to hold this is quick. I find the fixturing sometimes is more difficult to design than the part. Hope this helps.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Machining question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cnc machining josh6575 Tools, and Procedures 16 12-06-2012 10:46 AM
General gear tooth machining question...from a nube... ChattyMatty Newbie General 2 01-11-2010 06:51 AM
Making custom rims/Machining question Redfinger Tires and Wheels 19 11-24-2009 12:55 AM