Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Are torx or allen heads any better than phillips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Are torx or allen heads any better than phillips?

Let me preface this by saying that this could very well win, stupid post of 07 award...but anyway here goes.

Maybe years of using cheap screwdrivers has tainted me, but I hate phillips head screws. I finally have some decent tools (sears craftsman) and things are looking up but I just prefer torx or hex heads.

Can I buy new allens/torx screws and switch over my old beat up & stripped phillips head screws? Or should I just live with the standard phillips head?

Here's what I'm referring to. Sorry for the blurry closeup.

Note, it's stripped because I really stink at this.
patrick_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

I seldom use a phillips. Mainly cause the allen head bolts just look better. They do however hold up better to stripping than the phillips. I've never been much on the whole torx thing. Anytime I redo something RC or 1:1,I try to use allen heads.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #3

Torx and allen head can be a pain, I'd just get a nice set of screw drivers. Stainless allen heads never failed my tho. They are nice to have.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Your not the only one who strips those Phillips heads, everyone does, just maybe not as often Hex and torx will strip eventually, and when they do they are even harder to get out then a stripped Phillips. I personally don't like hex or torx, most guys who work on 1:1 cars will tell you the same thing, they are a pain in the a$$. The only thing I like about them is the looks as raptorman said.
DarkOne427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
T Stainless allen heads never failed my tho. .
bullsh!t , i bought an RC Screwz set for a truck and i'll be damned if every screw didnt strip. and i was using high quality tools(snap-on). i just use phillips because thats what i have laying around
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
2006 2.2 National Champ

Usually Philips head screws strip because the screw driver being used is too small. I like Allen head screws myself.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by '83 chevy
bullsh!t , i bought an RC Screwz set for a truck and i'll be damned if every screw didnt strip. and i was using high quality tools(snap-on). i just use phillips because thats what i have laying around
big 10/4 on those crap screws

i will never use another screw from rc screws not to mention it was missing a pile of screws from the kit

tony's screws are the best i have used period

https://tonysscrews.com/splashPage.hg

if he doesnt have them in stock email or call he will most likely be able to get what you need
tmaxxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

ive only recently started buying my own screws, nuts and bolts and get em at microfastners, good stuff and no problems.
the biggest problem with phillips is you have to have the right size tip for the screw, too big or small will strip the head.
the majority of screws you could swap for allen's except the shoulder screws, ie the knuckle screws but you might be able to use a flanged bushing and spacer with a screw.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
1*

I've switched over to M3 socket head screws. Yes, you can strip them out too, but mine last a lot longer than the phillips head screws. I would invest in a set of metric hex heads too, your screws will last longer. As for suppliers, check around your area for an industrial fastener supplier. I lucked into a place in my town I never even knew existed a few months ago. Now I'm a regular, when the guys behind the counter see me they just smile and wave me out "back." I pick up a bag, head for the M3 screws, stop by the secret "stash" of M3 locknuts and head back to the counter. They eyeball the bag and charge me $2-5. The lhs gets several bucks for a bag of 10 screws. I walk out with an assortment of 20 to 40 screws for the same money.
rcr3fan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I seen an article in a RC Airplane mag a while back and apparently the japanese have there own phillips tips. Its called JIS. I think alot of the fasteners in the kits and ordered from places in screw kits are these japanese screws. I have tried all of my different Snap on drivers in the screws and they just dont fit good. They sell special JIS drivers but from what I have seen the few times I have they make my Snap on stuff look cheap in price. Thats just my 2 pennys though. I'll stick with SS allens and a snap-on allen wrench, yet to have any strip after 5 years of weekly maintenance.
maxboostbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Hex is the only way to go, there is no way you can tell me a philips is better, NO WAY, and this is from working on 1:1's my 2 Street bikes, my snowmobile, and my numerous R/C's.
TONY'S SCREWS are great another great resource if you have one locally is Fastenall. I have also had luck at a local hardware store with some misc screws and the do make the shoulder screws if you look into it.
SIRMAXXALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

phillips are better. everybody has a phillips, if you only have one screw driver chances are its a phillips. there are only 3 or so common sizes of phillips with an almost one size driver fitting all where allens the wrench is limited only to its size. phillips drivers make a good makeshift punch and reamer. be positive, phillips are!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
20K Club

I will take an allen head over a philips any day. As long as you don't have a piss poor set of tools you are golden. Use good materials and you will be fine, use chit and you get chit back. Like harbor frieght allen wrenches, you have to grind the first few mm off every week just to have a good end on them.

Josh
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706
I will take an allen head over a philips any day. As long as you don't have a piss poor set of tools you are golden. Use good materials and you will be fine, use chit and you get chit back. Like harbor frieght allen wrenches, you have to grind the first few mm off every week just to have a good end on them.

Josh
I agree it's got a lot to do with the tools when it comes to hex, I use the Integy hex set and it works very well but there is better, if you use a nice hex driver it is almost impossible to strip a head out--NOT impossible but unless the screw has been used over and over or the driver is bad you will ALMOST never have an issue..phillips are just to easy to strip out, man even the carpenters rarely ever use an phillips bit any more-when possible they use the square bit although the most of the screws have a phillips pattern them they acually are installed with a square bit..
SIRMAXXALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:54 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

i was just BS'ing about the phillips bit, i much prefer allens. although at microfastners they have hex head SS screws i was thinking about trying for a scale build
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...cts/MSCHBS.cfm
Old 01-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Hex bolts are very nice. If you buy them separately they can be spendy but if buy kit s they are cheaper.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have decent sets of metric & standard allen wrenches and after wrenching bicycles for many years, I've just grown fond of allens. Sure I've stripped a few but I seem to strip phillips heads at an alarming rate, especially compared to allen heads.

I'll see if we have a local source and if not check out the online resources. Thanks again!!
patrick_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by '83 chevy
RC Screws are ok, there 2mm button heads, RC4WD has cap head screws that are 2.5mm they hold up better... PLUS Snap-on doesn't make good small tools... get some Dyanmite wrenches or RC Specific tools and there actually better than the Snap-ons or Craftsman!

BUT: yes hex screws are supreme!

Later,
Jake
EagleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:59 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleOne
RC Screws are ok, there 2mm button heads, RC4WD has cap head screws that are 2.5mm they hold up better... PLUS Snap-on doesn't make good small tools... get some Dyanmite wrenches or RC Specific tools and there actually better than the Snap-ons or Craftsman!
i had rc specific tools before, i just never liked them. i'd still perfer snap on becasue if i break it they come to the shop and i get a new one , but thats just me. to each is own i guess
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The worst part about phillips head screws is if I need to turn one I will find 40 flat head screwdrivers, and vice versa.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote