RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   What hex drivers you using? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/594708-what-hex-drivers-you-using.html)

calcagno45 02-15-2018 07:49 AM

Re: What hex drivers you using?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5801264)
WTF? Those tools are less than a year old. Did they replace it?

Didn’t ask. It’s $6 for a replacement tip and I torqued the f out of a pinion grub screw.

JatoTheRipper 02-15-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcagno45 (Post 5801280)
Didn’t ask. It’s $6 for a replacement tip and I torqued the f out of a pinion grub screw.

Ah. I'm surprised you didn't strip the screw before the driver broke though...

crfnick56 02-24-2018 09:54 AM

I have been using the same MIP set of drivers and hex drivers for my Makita for going on three years now. They cost a bit more but I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for (in most cases).

ColdFox 02-24-2018 11:21 AM

I've managed to round a MIP and a Hudy 2mm, maybe I should get better screws...

GEISSE-RC 02-28-2018 07:49 AM

MIP are the best

Chilli39 03-04-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by throttlejock27 (Post 5793290)
Has anyone used the wiha brand tools with precision handles? I know they make other nice tools and are made in Germany

Wiha has got to be probably the most versatile and strongest I have seen yet "thumbsup"

durok 03-04-2018 10:34 PM

Unfortunately I just rounded out a brand new Wiha 2mm nutdriver tightening the scale bolts on the first 2 of my RC4WD beadlock wheels...

I still have 2 more wheels to go, I got them reasonably tight but am going to hate it if they loosen out on the trail...

Literally opened the package containing the nutdrivers this evening!

Very bummed, especially since I was born in Germany and my mother is German.

"Was gibts mit deiser scheisse?" :cry:

I'd spent $33 on the set of 7 Wiha Precision Nut Drivers - and I really only needed the damn 2mm.

The first time I ordered them, I had my first-ever Amazon foul-up - got an empty mailer! :shock:

They gave me a $5 coupon code for the re-order, and now this happens. :x

I just said "screw it" (LOL) and ordered a $12 "OX" alloy handled one with that sorta bronzed color tool steel replaceable shaft - might be more up to the task.

Thinking of contacting Wiha about their warranty - found a document on the web, wasn't any mention of it in the product packaging.

I DID come out of this with new-found respect for the strength of RC4WD scale hardware! "thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

JatoTheRipper 03-05-2018 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5807771)
Unfortunately I just rounded out a brand new Wiha 2mm nutdriver tightening the scale bolts on the first 2 of my RC4WD beadlock wheels...

I still have 2 more wheels to go, I got them reasonably tight but am going to hate it if they loosen out on the trail...

Literally opened the package containing the nutdrivers this evening!

Very bummed, especially since I was born in Germany and my mother is German.

"Was gibts mit deiser scheisse?" :cry:

I'd spent $33 on the set of 7 Wiha Precision Nut Drivers - and I really only needed the damn 2mm.

The first time I ordered them, I had my first-ever Amazon foul-up - got an empty mailer! :shock:

They gave me a $5 coupon code for the re-order, and now this happens. :x

I just said "screw it" (LOL) and ordered a $12 "OX" alloy handled one with that sorta bronzed color tool steel replaceable shaft - might be more up to the task.

Thinking of contacting Wiha about their warranty - found a document on the web, wasn't any mention of it in the product packaging.

I DID come out of this with new-found respect for the strength of RC4WD scale hardware! "thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

I was under the impression that Wiha used to have a good name in tools. I had some little nut drivers for scale hardware and one snapped within the first day or two of use. I lost all respect for Wiha tools right there as well.

durok 03-05-2018 08:15 AM

We'll see how the Ox branded tool works, arrives Friday. Sometime soon I will need to screw in a veritable shit-ton of screws for my LURC wheels, whenever they become available for order - I think it's 46 per wheel (!)... I'm also contacting Wiha today after work about a replacement.

HDMM 03-07-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by throttlejock27 (Post 5793280)
I’m looking for some decent metric hex Drivers 1.5, 2 and 2.5mm basically. I have a cheap duratrax tool set that I’ve already worn the tips out of them. Any suggestions? Thanks

I've been using ProTek ones, same set for about 3 years now, haven't broken or stripped a tip yet.

JimmytheBarrel 03-07-2018 04:46 PM

I use quite a few brands, from my house, work and field kits.

Wiha are great, but, they have smaller handles, I find them hard to get good torque on. I use WIHA a lot at work. I think they tend to be to pricey for the ROI.

Hudy. What can I say? I have had them 14+ years, and going strong! I managed to break a 2mm ball end once, but, to be fair, I should have not been using a ball end on what I was doing. These are my go to tools on the bench!

Dynamite. I use these mostly for field kit, as I am not to worried about them getting stolen or lost. Tend to be softer steel.

OFNA. I have the set that has the silicon handle and various bits. Has held up well. Easy to transport. hard to find though. Limited selection of sizes. This is the set I put in my pocket when trail bashing.

In 30+ years of tool buying, I find you get the best return on buying a quality tool in the first place. I am not adverse to a Harbor Freight tool, if its something I don't rely on and only use a few times. But nothing is worse than being in the middle of a good wrenching session, then STRIP.

soze 03-07-2018 05:51 PM

I was and still am to a degree using a cheapie multi-tip precision screwdriver set. I've since started switching over to better tools. MIP Metric bits for my Dewalt impact driver were the first step. Then I got the MIP nut drivers, and I'll probably pick up the metric drivers as well for hand use.

durok 03-07-2018 09:06 PM

I think I just stripped that OX brand $13 2mm nutdriver on the first bolt.

Guess they are tight enough?

Still need to contact Wiha, and I think I will just need to back off before I torque too hard from now on.

Andersen72 03-07-2018 11:36 PM

Finally I’ve decided and I’ve bought some MIP tools https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c608ff345c.jpg
Happy

JimmytheBarrel 03-08-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5808863)
I think I just stripped that OX brand $13 2mm nutdriver on the first bolt.

Guess they are tight enough?

Still need to contact Wiha, and I think I will just need to back off before I torque too hard from now on.

Yeah, if you feel you need more, thread lock. I use purple on most of my screws, blue on some. Or use nyloc nuts.

soze 03-08-2018 07:35 PM

So.. just scored this for $3. We'll see how it works. Bonus is that my MIP Metric bits work with it, so I may hold off on actually buying the hand tools a little bit longer if using this works out.

Turnigy Torque Metric Hexdriver Set

big-o 03-08-2018 08:52 PM

Integy

Tossedman 03-08-2018 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andersen72 (Post 5808897)
Finally I’ve decided and I’ve bought some MIP tools https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c608ff345c.jpg
Happy

Excellent tools right there. Good choice. MIPS are the best drivers I’ve owned.

MAGNUMB 03-12-2018 07:03 PM

Hard to beat the spring steel Hudy uses.
MIP are quality and overbuilt but i get better "feel" from Hudy. Profitools are very nice for the money.

JatoTheRipper 03-13-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAGNUMB (Post 5810472)
Hard to beat the spring steel Hudy uses.
MIP are quality and overbuilt but i get better "feel" from Hudy. Profitools are very nice for the money.

Do you have a link to Profitools? Never heard of them. Tools named after profit scare me though.