Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: HG Axle - CVD Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default HG Axle - CVD Conversion

I read of the conversion on the web and decided that I will try it myself. Its cheap to do and should help a lot.

I remembered of taking photo’s only after I had the shafts back together. Sorry.

Parts list needed:
1x HG front axle.
1x Pair SCX10 CVD shaft.
1x Pair SCX10 alu knuckles with bearings.
2x 5mm - 3.5mm brass shaft couplers. You will probably need to drill the 3.5mm hole to size so get yourself a proper 3.5mm bit.
2x 12mm 6mm Long Clamping hex nuts.

On to some pics:

First you pull out the cvd’s. You need to cut them at 22mm from the inside shoulder at the bearing. Look carefully...

Then you cut the gear side of the HG shaft to 42mm.

Now you grab your plastic HG C-Hub and work the hole bigger to allow the CVD to pass through and throw on those SCX knuckles. Remember to fit the inner bearings.

Now you line up your shaft parts, grab some red stud lock and fit them in the housing. You want some play on the shaft. This is what you need a side to have it run nice and smooth:

Remember to grind some flat spots on the shafts for the coupler’s grub screws to bite to. Tighten the lot up when you get the play dialed in. You should have this now:

Assemble your housings. Remember to grease where needed.

Grab your hexes and file the pin side down till you have the pin protruding above the slot when lying in it. Otherwise you will have it bind up against the knuckle.

You will need a custom length link. Mine is sitting at 143mm hole to hole for now. Will dial it in proper when I get it on a rig.

The brass coupler also acts as a stopper for the shaft to help with it pushing out against the soft plastic c hubs. I did check scx10 hubs but there isn’t enough material on either the alu or the hg plastic to take away for it to fit. So thats not going to work with the ebay parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #2

Default Re: HG CVD Conversion

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

HG Axle - CVD Conversion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for 58mm - 60mm CVD/CVD Swing Shaft Michi Non Crawler RC's 0 02-23-2017 11:17 AM
CVD axle shaft options on V3 CVD RickM Team Losi Comp Crawler 2 10-26-2011 07:58 PM
thundertech CVD conversion krawlinCJ General Crawlers 13 03-30-2007 10:45 AM