Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Wanna build a maxx crawler.....how?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Wanna build a maxx crawler.....how?

I've been roming around the forums for awhile but just recently have i seen some of the members like twisted have but im still confued on how to do it :? ....So i know the basics that you need metal wonking a lil cash and of course a set of differentials to modify. Well i have the diff's (they're from my old t-maxx, narrow version), also i have access to hand tools, drill presses, dremel tool, and power tools to build a house and a car (literally lol ). With all that in mind, and with no offence to Twisted awsome presentation , would sombody tell/show me how to do this.... Any and all help will be extremely apreciated thanks.
Texas Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

If you've looked around the forum already you should have already gotten a good idea of how many different ways there are to buiding them, It all depends on how you want to do it. No one here is going to hold your hand and give you a detailed write up on how to build a crawler. Twisted's write up pretty much did that.

Figure out whether you want a full on tuber or just a simple modified chassis, then look for pics of members that have done that and go from there.
Esteban86K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

To bad they wont do that....lol.....but i'd like to do a full tube frame to make it a "scale-ish" looking crawler. I just found twisted's design with the "super" washers , and i like that idea alot. Is there a certain angle at which i should have the axle shaft or is that a personal preferance/ cog thing that you decide based on your design? Thanks
Old 07-30-2005, 09:44 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I did the Twisted style axles too and just went with an angle that wouldn't put the u-joints in the shafts at too bad of an angle.

Here is my build up thread if you care to see it.

Project Mini Skinny
Old 07-30-2005, 09:47 PM   #5
Colt Python/SR9c

well if you can't build a tuber, there is still a great writeup done here by Jay http://www.rccrawler.com/tuber.htm but if you feel you can't do it yourself, PM "HULK" here on the RCC board. he does great "scale" work.

as for the "washers" for the axles, the washers are a bit to big. the reason i had done that was for the the easy way i now just use steel like 12-14 gauge and cut it all out. the washers were just too heavy. as for angle, there is no set angle, but i have about 1 1/2" of diff clearance between the bottom of the diff and the bottom of the axle tube. That way the alxes are not in a bind and you get about as much clearance as possible

here is a new set of axles i just built.. you can see the difference now
Attached Images

Last edited by TwistedCreations; 07-30-2005 at 09:49 PM.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

That's an awsome truck man!!! :-P o and btw your 86 blazer, have you started on ur 73 yet? i have a 96 z71 ( ifs jokes now lol) but i wanna do a strait axle conv. on it with a dana 44 or 60 up front the 10 bolt rear should hold up good, but then again i could get a long travel fabbed up for it.......but i aint got that pretty of a penny to dish out...lol....thanks
Old 07-30-2005, 10:06 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Twisted, how did you mount ur servo, o and is that solid bar on ur links to the knuckles? thanks ur threads have been a huge help, and along with everyone else posting on the maxx crawlers.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Rebel
Twisted, how did you mount ur servo, o and is that solid bar on ur links to the knuckles? thanks ur threads have been a huge help, and along with everyone else posting on the maxx crawlers.
that is 1/4" brakeline as the main axle braces and 3/16" brakeline braces onto that. the servo is attached to a piece of CF plate. which teh CF plate is screwed onto the diff sides by tabs
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:17 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

thanks alot man, now i can go parts shoppin tomorrow n start fabbin up a chassis and suspension.......o and is an e-maxx tranny the way to go for best fit and finish? electronics i'll have covered w/ a rooster or super chicken lol.....i'll post some pics up tomorrow if i have enough to actually look like i did something.....
Old 07-30-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Rebel
That's an awsome truck man!!! :-P o and btw your 86 blazer, have you started on ur 73 yet? i have a 96 z71 ( ifs jokes now lol) but i wanna do a strait axle conv. on it with a dana 44 or 60 up front the 10 bolt rear should hold up good, but then again i could get a long travel fabbed up for it.......but i aint got that pretty of a penny to dish out...lol....thanks
I am starting on the 73 in about a month. If you want to SAS your Z, you should go over to Offroad-tech.com and get some info there. If you go with a 60 up front get a 14 for the rear. Or you WILL break it. I'd swap it out even if you go with a 44 up front.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:28 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

not much cash at all, i made my e-maxx into a crawler for less than 25$. the main tools you will need is a dremal, hacksaw (if you're lucky you have a jig saw, works way better than a hacksaw), a crap load of spare screws.

colin
Maxx4life is offline   Reply With Quote