Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Blasphemy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2021, 12:33 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Blasphemy!

Got the full video from my IG post up on YouTube, it's not much since I forgot my Go-Pro, Point and Click, AND anything I could use for a phone stand at home
https://youtu.be/FgaZpvh8ads

Sorry, can't get the embed link to work...............
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2021, 11:09 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
This makes me miss my Telluride, a buddy wanted to get into short course trucks but didnt want to spend a bunch so I basically chassis swapped it into a brushed slash 4x4 for him. I actually almost have enough spare parts to build one....hmmm

hope you dont mind me dropping a old pic in. This was mine with axial exo front wheels\tires all around for bit more scale look and proline JK body\bumpers.I did the 100% silicone ear plugs stuffed in diffs for bit of limited slip style traction. Bedlined the flares\roof\door handles etc. Body got messed up by cheap ebay window stencil set leaving a film on them, then I tried various sticker removers and fogged it.

Every time someone makes a Telluride thread, other people chime in to say they also like the truck, or miss it. It really does seem like a few people hated the Telluride on principle, a few other people thought it was actually pretty good but mostly kept quiet about it, and most people didn't care.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:07 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Every time someone makes a Telluride thread, other people chime in to say they also like the truck, or miss it. It really does seem like a few people hated the Telluride on principle, a few other people thought it was actually pretty good but mostly kept quiet about it, and most people didn't care.
It seems like the haters were just more vocal, if you watch the videos for these and the KL Cherokee Trailhawk when both were introduced, both had nearly identical “hater” comments towards both, only the Telluride didn’t have to live in the XJ Cherokee’s shadow like the KL’s do. I think that those of us who have used them in an off road setting may have proven their capability and generally enjoyed driving the trucks, then there’s those who may have seen these the way we have and even if they never had one of their own, basically had guys like us confirm what they thought the truck’s capabilities would be through our builds and posting about our trucks.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Oh man, yes the haters...and if you say anything good about traxxas you must be a paid fanboy basically. The Trx4 seems to have changed a good bit of that mentality but its still there in some circles it seems.

I'll admit to being a fan of traxxas stuff coming from basher side of things and have owned a good bit of their trucks. I'm not exactly well off $ wise so for hobby funding I usually have to sell one truck to buy the next so I don't have a collection or anything but have had T-maxx-slash-slash 1\16-slash 4x4-telluride-summit and while some are certainly better than others I never got rid of one from disliking it. I think the reason people hate on them is same reason some love them, parts interchangeability and a kinda market saturation business model where you see their stuff in hobby shops taking up entire wall. For people that break stuff (like me) walking into a shop and paying $5 for a part and walking out is a huge buying factor. For some people what I can piece together is they want it to feel more that you have to be in the know to get good trucks\parts, kinda like mindset of if you didn't build your own 1:1 car and really know cars then you dont deserve a fast car type of deal.

Other thing I see is people will build a solid axle crawler to the place where basically the frame rails are only stock piece but they will still say how good "X" brand is vs "Y" brand when their truck is no longer "X" brand really. Out of the box the telluride is not going to be a crawler but it is a fun all around truck that people just kept trying to compare to trucks it really wasn't comparable to.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Oh man, yes the haters...and if you say anything good about traxxas you must be a paid fanboy basically. The Trx4 seems to have changed a good bit of that mentality but its still there in some circles it seems.

I'll admit to being a fan of traxxas stuff coming from basher side of things and have owned a good bit of their trucks. I'm not exactly well off $ wise so for hobby funding I usually have to sell one truck to buy the next so I don't have a collection or anything but have had T-maxx-slash-slash 1\16-slash 4x4-telluride-summit and while some are certainly better than others I never got rid of one from disliking it. I think the reason people hate on them is same reason some love them, parts interchangeability and a kinda market saturation business model where you see their stuff in hobby shops taking up entire wall. For people that break stuff (like me) walking into a shop and paying $5 for a part and walking out is a huge buying factor. For some people what I can piece together is they want it to feel more that you have to be in the know to get good trucks\parts, kinda like mindset of if you didn't build your own 1:1 car and really know cars then you dont deserve a fast car type of deal.

Other thing I see is people will build a solid axle crawler to the place where basically the frame rails are only stock piece but they will still say how good "X" brand is vs "Y" brand when their truck is no longer "X" brand really. Out of the box the telluride is not going to be a crawler but it is a fun all around truck that people just kept trying to compare to trucks it really wasn't comparable to.

I do think there is a "Built vs Bought" mentality to it as well as a "Racer vs Basher" then there is the whole copyright thing that seems to bring the hate to anything Traxxas.

I do wonder how many people who did complain about the Telluride would have had the same thoughts about the Wheely King and Crawler King out of the box, since those require a change out of chassis and transmission to look as scale as the Telluride, let along actual scale trucks and not be as top heavy, even if you started with a CK that had the lockers and better tires out of the box. That said, had Traxxas thrown the Titan 21t, Brushed Stampede R&P's, and stickier Slash 4X4 Ultimate Edition tires on it, it probably still would have happened.

When it comes to parts, my Stampede and Bandit are mostly RPM parts as well as some other randomness thrown together. The Stampede uses some 2wd Slash and 4x4 Slash and Stampede specific parts and has Hoss rear driveshafts while both have idler gear shafts that I cut down from some Hobby King sourced 5mm carbon fiber rod. The Stampede has become my version of the "My Grandfather's Axe" parable while the Bandit started as a pile of random and very few completely stock Bandit/Rustler parts. That's more of a "Bandit" because the body is one JConcepts make for the Bandit VXL and has a Losi buggy front wing so it actually looks like a buggy vs a Stadium Truck, which it for all intents and purposes, would otherwise be.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:54 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Here's the video from today's trip to the park.
https://youtu.be/d_lNsSemUJU
Old 04-03-2023, 12:12 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Ok, finally put the new Holmes Hobbies motor and RRP 10t pinion in it on Saturday night, since both have been laying around for a couple years now!

[/URL]

Then took At back out to one of my favorite test spots off the Fox River in Batavia, IL along with my Tamiya MF-01x Jimny with the portals from a GF-01 TR Monster Beetle!
Flexed out here,

And a little side hill as well.

Plus here’s video both the Telluride and Jimny in actions, it is 17mm long though.
https://youtu.be/CgxHVwk2y-A
Old 04-03-2023, 06:56 AM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Ok, finally put the new Holmes Hobbies motor and RRP 10t pinion in it on Saturday night, since both have been laying around for a couple years now!

[/URL]

Then took At back out to one of my favorite test spots off the Fox River in Batavia, IL along with my Tamiya MF-01x Jimny with the portals from a GF-01 TR Monster Beetle!

Flexed out here,

And a little side hill as well.

Plus here’s video both the Telluride and Jimny in actions, it is 17mm long though.

https://youtu.be/CgxHVwk2y-A
My grandparents lived in Batavia when they were alive. I'm originally from St. Charles (born there), but lived on a farm out by Kaneland high school on Keslinger Rd. I now live in Coral Springs, FL, fifteen minutes NW of Ft. Lauderdale. Small world.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:17 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
My grandparents lived in Batavia when they were alive. I'm originally from St. Charles (born there), but lived on a farm out by Kaneland high school on Keslinger Rd. I now live in Coral Springs, FL, fifteen minutes NW of Ft. Lauderdale. Small world.

It is!
We moved to West Chicago from Iowa 43 years ago so I pretty much grew up out here and worked in St. Charles at a couple different locations for almost 20 years, though the current job is back here in town.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:45 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
It is!

We moved to West Chicago from Iowa 43 years ago so I pretty much grew up out here and worked in St. Charles at a couple different locations for almost 20 years, though the current job is back here in town.
All of my aunt's, uncle's, and cousins still live in that area. I don't get up there much anymore.

MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:56 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Good to see you dug this out and gave it some attention. I have pieced together a slash project robbing parts here and there from my stash but also ended up with a roller telluride setup again. I'll have to dig up few more parts for it to be a runner but should be fun.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:57 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
All of my aunt's, uncle's, and cousins still live in that area. I don't get up there much anymore.

If you ever make it back up this way and have the time. let me know, would good to meet you!
Old 04-05-2023, 02:02 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Good to see you dug this out and gave it some attention. I have pieced together a slash project robbing parts here and there from my stash but also ended up with a roller telluride setup again. I'll have to dig up few more parts for it to be a runner but should be fun.
Thanks, it’s been sitting since the summer of ‘21 and was good to get it out again! After looking at OSRC’s Telluride build, I started looking for brushed Stampede 4x4s now too, even though I need another crawler like I need another hole in my head

Blasphemy! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project "Blasphemy" CrawlnSlow Traxxas Crawlers 16 10-10-2005 11:44 PM