Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Test driven the new TRX-4? Post your thoughts here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #21

Default Re: Test driven the new TRX-4? Post your thoughts here.

I downloaded the manual before I even got the TRX. I copied it to a flash drive, took it to my local printer and had it printed, bound and a clear cover put on it. It was expensive because I did it in color. Cost about $25.00. You could print it in b&w for about half that. Or print it on your printer and staple it. Seems everything I buy from refrigerators to Rc cars, you have to download the manual. Just another cost in buying stuff.
BRICK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
The quick start they give you is enough, but to miss out on the in hand manual is unusual for Traxxas of all companies.
Saves money and the environment, most peeps never even open the manual especially with an RTR. However, I too like to hold the manual and read it wihtout needing a battery or device to do so.

[QUOTE=BRICK57;5716159]I downloaded the manual before I even got the TRX. I copied it to a flash drive, took it to my local printer and had it printed, bound and a clear cover put on it. It was expensive because I did it in color. Cost about $25.00. You could print it in b&w for about half that. Or print it on your printer and staple it. /QUOTE]

Good idea, but I download it to phone for keeping while crawling and print out double-sided and staple it together myself, $25 isn't bad for color bound and clear cover.

Truck drives smooth and very predictable even on sidehill and steep climb.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #23
RCC Addict

I only have a couple hours on mine but here is my take so far:

Stock tires are pretty good. The foams are a bit stiff but will soften up over time and be right. They are pretty sticky.

Shocks seem smooth, but two of mine came low on fluid. The springs are too firm.

The drivetrain is extremely quiet and smooth. The diffs lock quickly and smoothly. I'll probably ditch the two speed once someone comes out with a kit. Hopefully they get a gear ratio somewhere between high and low.

Turning with both diffs unlocked is awesome and for that reason alone I'll probably not permanently lock them. The stock steering servo is a bit weak, but that's typical for an RTR.

The body is great looking. The way they integrated the fender wells and different supports/mounts on the body is great. It doesn't vibrate or wobble. All the details are very nice for a lexan body, unfortunately it is heavy and huge, which hinders performance.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
The body is great looking. The way they integrated the fender wells and different supports/mounts on the body is great. It doesn't vibrate or wobble. All the details are very nice for a lexan body, unfortunately it is heavy and huge, which hinders performance.
I can't seem to find a direct answer to my Q anywhere...if you remove the inner fenders from the body could they be mounted to the frame and used with other bodies?
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I can't seem to find a direct answer to my Q anywhere...if you remove the inner fenders from the body could they be mounted to the frame and used with other bodies?
Could they? Yes.

Would it be easy? No.

All depends on the work you want to put in. I would imagine the aftermarket would be building any bodies to actually fit the existing liners as best they can due to what they provide. The liners really strengthen the heck out of the body and keep it stable and rattle free. It feels like a hardbody, but the actual shell is a normal thin lexan due to all that bracing provided.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #26
RCC Addict

I am a Chevy guy thru and thru so the Land Rover body doesn't do it for me. Gotta get a different body on this thing when I get mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I am a Chevy guy thru and thru so the Land Rover body doesn't do it for me. Gotta get a different body on this thing when I get mine.
I agree on the Land Rover issue, maybe not so much the GM though. I imagine we'd see plenty of GM, Ford, Jeep styles. Just depends how fast the major aftermarket moves, being a Traxxas product they will move much faster than if it was an Axial.

I have seen people using the Vaterra GM SUV already though. Even some using the SCX10.2 Cherokee.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Pretty much agree with everyone else. Great truck, steering servo's *meh*, top heavy...

I really like the tires, and I spent money that wasn't really in my RC budget to get it, so I'll probably just bake them off and get some inexpensive beadlocks...
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #29
RCC Addict

I put two 2450mah 3S packs through it yesterday in my normal crawling spot. This time the truck had all the extra scale stuff removed (rack, spare tire, fual cans, etc). It also had my comp tire/wheel setup which is RBXLs, CI 2 stage foams, Incision wheels with Beef Patties up front. I was running with a bone stock TRX-4 too so I had another reference.

Removing all the scale stuff really made it less top heavy and I was able to climb up steeper grades without it trying to backflip so easy. It was in the low 80s outside. The motor was getting pretty warm. I changed the pinion setting to D and it still seemed a bit tight and didnt help much with the heat. I see a different powerplant in the near future. I may try the optional 39t spur with 11t pinion and a 3100kv-3500kv brushless setup. This may allow me to keep it in low only.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Test driven the new TRX-4? Post your thoughts here. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I bought this yesterday,post your thoughts please speedemall 2.2 Scale Rigs 28 05-30-2010 12:22 PM
Mounting post placement thoughts RickM Paint and Body 4 04-25-2010 04:30 PM
1/24th Or 1/36th Scale Rock Crawler Please Post Your Thoughts stomper4x4.com Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 66 12-18-2009 01:53 AM
AXLE MODDING for driven/non driven lift axle SEMIJOE Non Crawler RC's 3 08-04-2009 04:48 PM
RCP Crawlers 2.2 Motor Driven Axle Assembly **See a Pic** Post Your Comments Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 48 12-28-2007 02:09 PM