Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Mode 5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Mode 5

Tonight I finally got around to reprogramming the HV XL5 for Mode 5, I am not impressed.

The drag brake is really funky, if you are mid-way into the throttle and you snap your finger off of the trigger, the drag brake kicks in. If you ease off of the throttle the drag brake does not turn on and the truck rolls like the drag brake is not there. When I am going up or down a rock face, rarely am I very deep into the throttle, and normally ease off of it, expecting the drag brake to hold me where I am, or to allow the truck to roll just a little bit.

Has anyone else played around with this mode? I am hoping, when I switch to my DX5R, I can increase the dead-band enough to get the drag brake to properly kick in. If not, this ESC is going on the shelf, and will likely install a another ESC.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2017, 04:21 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Mode 5

That sounds right after reading it a few times.

If I'm headed down hill steep and my finger is on the trigger there is no drag brake so it could get the truck rolling faster than the tiny throttle input you entered. Then when you let off the throttle it seems like the drag brake isn't there because the truck has momentum now. I think that it is actually working or trying to its just too much for it.

I have driven downhill on rock that got progressively steeper and basically the trick with the TRX-4 is once you get to the point that the drag brake is struggling you have to NOT use the throttle to move forward and just wiggle the front tires. Even then at a cetain point your going for a ride. But these are usually the hardest or steepest of obstacles its not every rock I try.

I would like to have a setup where the drag brake is so strong it locks up the tires when its too steep and doesn't just turn into a run away train

Last edited by Mountainsofbeer; 08-03-2017 at 04:24 AM.
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Tonight I finally got around to reprogramming the HV XL5 for Mode 5, I am not impressed.

The drag brake is really funky, if you are mid-way into the throttle and you snap your finger off of the trigger, the drag brake kicks in. If you ease off of the throttle the drag brake does not turn on and the truck rolls like the drag brake is not there. When I am going up or down a rock face, rarely am I very deep into the throttle, and normally ease off of it, expecting the drag brake to hold me where I am, or to allow the truck to roll just a little bit.

Has anyone else played around with this mode? I am hoping, when I switch to my DX5R, I can increase the dead-band enough to get the drag brake to properly kick in. If not, this ESC is going on the shelf, and will likely install a another ESC.
I could be wrong but I can only recall "Mode 4: Trail Mode" having drag brake at neutral throttle, not 5. But then again, when I run "Mode 5: Crawl Mode" I expect "100% brake" at neutral like the specs say and it kinda does what it wants.
ksonghasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Mine was the same Greatscott. It would pick the back wheels up when you let off under higher throttle emergency stops and roll away on a hill when you were trying to finesse the trigger . the xl5 is garbage IMO
Mudflap84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Think I have figured it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oJe7PFyJE0
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Think I have figured it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oJe7PFyJE0
thought I would bump this so more people can have a look. seems like something that could happen to any of them
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have yet to notice this happening to mine, which is not to say its not occurring. I'll have to pay closer attention tonight when I'm messing around out back.

It seems like a simple dead zone adjustment might be the fix. EDIT: I see there is no dead zone adjustment (big surprise there), maybe a fix can be done through adjusting the throttle trim?

EDIT: after a few hours testing on my rock pile I was unable to make this happen. I also observed it with the body off and wasn't able to get the ESC light to go out after letting off the throttle.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-08-2017 at 09:48 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Mine is also working fine, I do have the Bluetooth module installed in the radio. I opened the app and went into the drive effects seen the throttle trim at 0% and the throttle sensitivity at 0% also. I then went to garage and then to channel setup then throttle, my sub trim is at 0%, the brake is at 100% and the throttle is at 100% also. You may just need to do a fine tune with the sub trim either in the app or it can be done manually from the transmitter.

I did play with the percentages and did get it to act up a little.

I'd recalibrate the esc (page 18 in the manual) if that fails to remedy the issue, I'd play with setting the throttle sub trim (page 35 in the manual walks you through it).

That's what I'd try, worth a shot ?
Hope this can help everyone.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote

Mode 5 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beast Mode, V2.0 turbodan13 2.2 Scale Rigs 47 02-09-2015 06:16 PM
Crawler mode Gammo Vaterra Twin Hammers 5 03-25-2013 07:13 AM
Bind Mode Ty Electronics 3 12-27-2009 05:35 PM
dx6i Mode 1 vs mode 2.... syber70 Electronics 1 03-12-2009 12:41 PM