Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

View Poll Results: What size links would you like to have?
Stock lengths sets for front and rear. 14 29.79%
12.3 wheel base set for front and rear. 22 46.81%
12.0 wheel base for front and rear. 0 0%
links in pairs for all sizes above. 9 19.15%
Would you like to have turnbuckle type links with right and left handed threads? 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Finally, Lunsford links for our TRX-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Finally, Lunsford links for our TRX-4

Update: so the lower links and link ends are in fact as I thought the same length as Revo 5347s. The stock ends are longer but cover the larger body of the link slightly.
Same 2 links, removed the stock ends and added 2 new 5347s. Length is exactly the same.

Bottom link is with 5347 Revo ends. Top link is with stock lower link ends. And the 2 stock ends at top.

Last edited by binaryterror; 09-14-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Smaller image
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2017, 08:40 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Update: so the lower links and link ends are in fact as I thought the same length as Revo 5347s. The stock ends are longer but cover the larger body of the link slightly.
Same 2 links, removed the stock ends and added 2 new 5347s. Length is exactly the same.

Bottom link is with 5347 Revo ends. Top link is with stock lower link ends. And the 2 stock ends at top.

Very good info, Thanks for taking the time to do that!!!

I had a good day with Kelly today, did a lot of figuring. We decided that the 4mm OD links should be more than strong enough to handle what we can throw at them. He has a concern that he may not be able to compete with some of the venders that may be using a lower quality titanium, and refuses to compromise on his quality, so we will see. Like I said earlier, some may just look at a titanium part and compare prices and figure price should be the only driving factor in what they purchase! Some of us old timers know better but we'll see. For now he is going to do a small run and let some of us test them. (Ready Nate)? We thought that he would do a steering kit made out of turnbuckles with the nut on one end of the link instead of in the center. The kit would have a steering link, drag link and panhard link. These kit would be the only one with right hand left hand threads, all the other links will be right hand on both ends. All the links will all work with the stock link ends, or the Jato/Revo ends.
For this small run, the 12.3 kit will split the 11mm difference between the front and rear. I think I will test that one. If it messes up the front geometry we can revisit the off sets and make changes as needed. I left my truck with Kelly so he can test and fit. He should have something to test by the end of next week.
That's all I have to share for now, we are trying to keep things as simple as possible so these can cost effective to make. I know when Kelly tried doing crawler links before he offered to many sizes and had a big inventory that was hard to move.
That's all I have to share for now. Keep the ideas coming, please. What you guys gave me to take to Kelly today was a huge help.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up Re: Finally, Lunsford links for our TRX-4

Well I was fortunate enough to get a tester set of links, Thanks again Ernie and Lunsford Racing

I Haven't had a chance to beat them up too much just 6-7 hours so far, I had them installed for the RPP hobby Jamboree though which put the truck through a fair bit of dragging and really cringe worthy winching up against the rocks.

Install was simple, they use reverse threads so if you struggle on the first one like me just try to remember that

I used the old links as reference of the lengths, although I had extra end links to work with. You could do one at a time for the links with doubles.

The short link for the 3 link up front needed the end links scewed on a fair amount more than the others but the stock end links do allow for this without cutting them down.

There is no link for the panhard as of now, but the short front steering link looks to be a length close to working.

The stock links weigh in at 5.4 Oz with end links and all, and the Lunsford Racing links take off 2.2 Oz weighing in at 3.2 Oz.
They're 3/16" thick so they aren't any thinner than stock but I don't know if they'd hold up if they were thinner.

I got the stock lengths as I'm still running the stock body, I believe a link set for 12.3" rigs is coming too.

I know links are a good place to put weight down low but I'm pretty happy to remove any weight on this heavy truck, only made heavier by myself.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 10-26-2017 at 08:24 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #24

Any update on these coming out?

I see Lunsford currently has steering and drag links available.
Skroober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:57 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Looking for an update here as well. This fat pig needs a diet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroober View Post
Any update on these coming out?

I see Lunsford currently has steering and drag links available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
Looking for an update here as well. This fat pig needs a diet.

Hey guys, sorry for no updates. With a death in the family and dealing with estate tasks time for me has been limited. I think Kelly is still on the fence with offering these. I'm sure he wants to see how the steering links sell before he commits to the link kits.
I'm going to try and get up to his shop sometime next week.
Ernie
Old 11-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey guys, sorry for no updates. With a death in the family and dealing with estate tasks time for me has been limited. I think Kelly is still on the fence with offering these. I'm sure he wants to see how the steering links sell before he commits to the link kits.
I'm going to try and get up to his shop sometime next week.
Ernie
Thank you Ernie. Sorry to hear of the family member. Very very interested in the link kit. This fat pig needs a major diet. Put me on a list somewhere for them if there is one. How much are the steering links?

Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:01 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Hope they offer a link kit or kits ?
But even if Lunsford does not offer any link kits, it'd be nice if we could get a quick reference chart with part #'s showing which size links and which rod end to use to achieve the desired wheelbase were aiming for.

I personally have no issues with the TRX rod ends so I would just reuse those, then start with the rear original size of 4x121mm and add or subtract from that length to figure it all out.

I was looking on their site and could not find that style of link, is this a new style ?

Last edited by ScoJac; 11-26-2017 at 06:17 AM.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
Hope they offer a link kit or kits ?
But even if Lunsford does not offer any link kits, it'd be nice if we could get a quick reference chart with part #'s showing which size links and which rod end to use to achieve the desired wheelbase were aiming for.

I personally have no issues with the TRX rod ends so I would just reuse those, then start with the rear original size of 4x121mm and add or subtract from that length to figure it all out.

I was looking on their site and could not find that style of link, is this a new style ?
They are new as of yet. There are a few test kits out and about:
Natedog
Humboltdef
Rockhugger
Codyboy
And maybe a few others.

thank you Lunsford and Codyboy!

The current market offering is here:
Lunsford 4mm Titanium Steering and Drag Link for Traxxas TRX-4

I remember them being listed as a kit a few weeks ago during the jamboree, but they’ve since disappeared.

I personally have not been able to get out and run mine, between mothers with broken arms, funky weather that snowed our spot in, and work, it may be a while

The quality and finish is outstanding, however, I see these as difficult to scratch up due to their beauty!
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Surely number 4 is the only logical answer ? Most have chosen 12.3 but wouldn't it be better to have all the above options available ? People aren't thinking.....
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:58 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Any news on the link kit? I'm looking for a 313 wb titanium link kit.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:35 AM   #32

Now that the Bronco has been released the "stock" option is kind of misleading since the Bronco comes 12.3" stock whereas the Defender does not.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:06 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Any news on the link kit? I'm looking for a 313 wb titanium link kit.
Kelly did a test run of these and after putting a few sets on the market they didn't merit the time and material it would take to put them into production. Kelly only uses the highest quality titanium available to build his product and it seems that for the most part the market place prefers price over quality! Just like most materials used to build our parts there is different qualities of titanium and market prices you see out there reflect these differences. Just my opinion, and doesn't represent Lunsford Titanium's thoughts.
Those of us who were lucky enough to test his links really wish he would have been able to go into production with them. But we understand that our crawler world is such small portion of RC offerings and Kelly needs to follow his business needs!
Ernie

Check out his site, I use his 4mm turnbuckles for links, and he has a great selection of lengths.
https://www.lunsfordracing.com/mm5/m...tore_Code=LUNS

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-27-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

This is a bit of a zombie post now, but has anyone got the lengths to put together a 12.3 kit for the TRX4? I don’t want to reinvent the whee if the right part numbers are already known. I’m definitely a bit sad this project didn’t make it to market.
AMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Finally, Lunsford links for our TRX-4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lunsford Links EverettY General Crawlers 12 08-10-2012 10:11 AM
lunsford links??12.5?? KrawlerKing Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 02-15-2010 07:54 PM
Lunsford Ti links, anyone tried them? Mad-Man Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 12-02-2009 10:25 PM
Lunsford links? atekt Newbie General 1 04-16-2009 08:04 AM